Mental Pain and Aversion in Meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
rowyourboat

Re: Mental Pain and Aversion in Meditation

Post by rowyourboat »

Definitely recommend walking meditation- at least 20 minutes before you sit for anything else. This will calm the mind of gross disturbances.
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Cal

Re: Mental Pain and Aversion in Meditation

Post by Cal »

rowyourboat wrote:Definitely recommend walking meditation- at least 20 minutes before you sit for anything else. This will calm the mind of gross disturbances.
I'm getting lots of exercise cutting down this Spring's 'crop' of bindweed and brambles so that we have a path again in the garden! I'll give the walking meditation more time, as I've really only practiced it on short retreats (as a break from sitting meditation). Thanks for the thoughts.

:namaste:
Cal
Right Speech: It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will. [AN 5.198]

Personally, I seem to gain the most insight when I am under the most pressure, when life is at its most unpleasant. There is something in me on those occasions which feels that there is nothing left but to be aware of 'this'. Ajahn Sumedho - Don't Take Your Life Personally, p288