Here is the answer why do people today do not achieve Bodhi

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
whitewedding

Re: Here is the answer why do people today do not achieve Bodhi

Post by whitewedding »

Here's a quote from mindfulness in plain english:

"Too much awareness without calm to balance it will result in a wildly over sensitized state similar to abusing LSD."

Who's T Lobsog... ?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

whitewedding wrote:How is working with an experienced meditation teacher any substitute for meditation experience?
If you had worked with a teacher, you would know. One of the benefits is that a teacher can help you from taking too seriously stuff that one might experience that warrants not being taken seriously at all. In other words, it keeps one from toddling down the garden path and thinking such a toddle is a serious journey on the Eightfold Path. Self deception is a very big danger for the self matriculator. A good guide on the path can point out things that you likely will not have noticed or correct one from taking questionable assumptions as being more than they are.
"Too much awareness without calm to balance it will result in a wildly over sensitized state similar to abusing LSD."
And in all likelihood the Ven author would say that any use of LSD is an abuse of LSD.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Tex

Post by Tex »

Hi, Steve.

I'm just curious why you would want to add on to the Buddha's meditation instructions?

If we've not yet reached the "X" at the end of the map ourselves, why would we start to redraw the map in the middle of our journey, and how could we be sure of where we're leading ourselves?
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

I would recommend, Steve, that you pay attention to what others here say. There are a number of highly experienced people here.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
whitewedding

Post by whitewedding »

I am not adding anything onto his instructions - I'm just doing exactly what he says (it's quite clearly described in the 7 factors of awakening part of the anapanasati sutta).
Also - I'm not redrawing the road map at all. The road map is right - I just think that we should then link it all together into one until.

I will listen to people - but not that guy I was just talking to - he has nothing helpful to say.
whitewedding

Post by whitewedding »

sorry - I meant 1 unit - not "until".

Peace,
Steve.
whitewedding

Post by whitewedding »

whitewedding wrote:
I will listen to people - but not that guy I was just talking to - he has nothing helpful to say.
Oh sorry - you are the guy I was talking to - lol.
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

I am not adding anything onto his instructions - I'm just doing exactly what he says
I am not so sure about this.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

whitewedding wrote:
whitewedding wrote:
Geez. Talking to and about yourself? It is just not clear.

Anicca

Post by Anicca »

whitewedding wrote:
whitewedding wrote:
It's a nice day for a white wedding.
It's a nice day to start again.

What was the original topic of this thread? Oh, yeah - Here is the answer to ...
Why Do People Today Not Achieve Bodhi?
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi everyone

Its time to return this thread to topic.
Any further off-topic posts will be removed and serial offenders may be subject to moderator attention.
Thanks for your cooperation.

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
whitewedding

Post by whitewedding »

smokey wrote:The answer is quite simple. People are putting too much effort while meditating. And I will just say wu-wei. Hope some of you contemplatives will understand.
Apparently lots of people do (they just don't tell unenlightened people about it because they obviously get deemed insane). He says in this book (which is an amazing book)...
http://www.interactivebuddha.com/mctb.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
whitewedding

Post by whitewedding »

Anicca wrote:
whitewedding wrote:
whitewedding wrote:
It's a nice day for a white wedding.
It's a nice day to start again.

What was the original topic of this thread? Oh, yeah - Here is the answer to ...
Why Do People Today Not Achieve Bodhi?
lol - yeah - good call.
I have just returned it to it's original topic with some very good news (see above).
Sorry for taking it off topic.
Steve.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Steve,

Did you know Daniel Ingram has a forum?

I don't mean to sound dismissive of anything you've been saying here at Dhamma Wheel, but I can't help thinking you might actually get a bit more traction with your line of inquiry at his site.

You're welcome here of course - I'm just letting you know your options.

:popcorn:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Brizzy

Post by Brizzy »

:jumping: ..........and people think I'm a trouble maker! :popcorn:

As far as not achieving bodhi - does this mean making the first breakthrough (sotapattana)? If it does, then I think many people these days do achieve it and without recourse to meditation.

:smile:

BTW............. Is it more of an offence to be offensive online or to undermine a populist teaching with rational argument and sutta references?