Stillness or Blankness?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
whitewedding

Re: Stillness or Blankness?

Post by whitewedding »

Sorry - I don't want to start putting doubt into peoples minds or anything - People do apparently reach Nibbana by doing the vipassana on the sensations of the breath - I just don't think it's the technique the Buddha used (but his techniques no more important - if 2 techniques both lead to Nibbana than each is as good as the other I guess).

Metta,
Steve.
Cittasanto

Re: Stillness or Blankness?

Post by Cittasanto »

sorry steve,
I shall point you to this part of your post also
whitewedding wrote:(when you hit Jhana - which is beyond me).
you have negated direct experience a few times in that post yet speak as though it is from direct experience, hence my question.

can you support what you say with any citations? after reading a post of yours in another thread it does raise doubts as to how you interpreted the texts.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill