Describe Meditation in one sentence

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Laurens

Describe Meditation in one sentence

Post by Laurens »

Like the other topic.

Okay here's my attempt:

Back to the present ;)
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Describe Meditation in one sentence

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

“Be mindful of each and every mental and physical phenomenon throughout the entire day, without a break.” (Chanmyay Sayādaw U Janaka)
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Something I should do more of ;)

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

retrofuturist wrote:Something I should do more of ;)

Metta,
Retro. :)
I can relate to that one very much!
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

one word
LIFE
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Guy

Post by Guy »

Meditation is the practice of turning the lights on.
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

P'raps I've been reading too much Ajahn Brahm but "letting go" is the first thing to come to my mind.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Since someone has mentioned Ajahn Brahm I thought I would share this talk which made a lot of sense to me: http://www.bswa.org/modules/mydownloads ... 75&lid=899 on the subject of non-measuring. He uses the simile of being a passenger instead of a backseat driver.

Ajahn Brahm has a few good one sentence summaries of meditation, two that stay in my mind are:

"Open the door of your heart to whatever you're experiencing."
"Make peace with the present moment."

All the same principles really.
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Stay... stay.. easy does it now.
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

One mistake after another.

(to steal a line from Zen)

;)
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

Laurens wrote: Back to the present ;)
I just realised, this could be a trilogy of movies!

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Without wanting to be a killjoy I rather think that these "in one sentence threads are more fun than of great usefulness, its a bit like instant mash potato.. :smile: Having said that, one definition I liked was " a condition of awareness characterised by a constant flow of positive mental states ".
Collective

Post by Collective »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:“Be mindful of each and every mental and physical phenomenon throughout the entire day, without a break.” (Chanmyay Sayādaw U Janaka)
What then does this achieve?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Collective wrote:
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:“Be mindful of each and every mental and physical phenomenon throughout the entire day, without a break.” (Chanmyay Sayādaw U Janaka)
What then does this achieve?
increased concentration, mindfulness and insight.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

PeterB wrote:Without wanting to be a killjoy I rather think that these "in one sentence threads are more fun than of great usefulness, its a bit like instant mash potato.. :smile: Having said that, one definition I liked was " a condition of awareness characterised by a constant flow of positive mental states ".
I hear you, but a bit of fun never hurt no one, if someone wants detailed instructions they can buy a book or visit a teacher :tongue:

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn