The Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Ben

Re: The Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge

Post by Ben »

Hi James,
ba55i5t wrote:Hello all,

Maybe a little formal introduction would help. My name is James and I have been practicing Buddhism for about 7 months now. I'm rather eclectic - I've been to Vajrayana centres, Zen centres and had discussions with a Theravadin Monk. I had resolved to focus on Shikantaza meditation originally in this New Year, but recently have decided to get back to the basics with some Anapanasati. I do about 20 mins a day (excluding time on the bus), and attend a Zen Centre about once a week. I think I will suggest that from this day forward I will do 20 mins as part of my morning routine, as well as bus time, and atleast 5 minutes every night.

Edit: I'm not attached to missing a minute here or there, I'm just trying to get myself going.

:namaste:
Metta,
James
Welcome to Dhamma Wheel. When you get a moment, you might like to start a thread in the 'introductions' forum. You can either copy and paste what you've written here or write something a little different - its up to you. I wish you all the very best with reintegrating the basics and focusing on anapanasati.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
bodom

Daily Meditation Journal

Post by bodom »

I thought it might be good to start a daily meditation journal in which we can all post and share. This can be a good way to stay motivated and really commit yourself to a daily meditation practice. Please everyone feel free to post and use this as a daily log, diary or however you think fit. The important thing is the actual practice in which I hope this thread will inspire.

And please remember the Buddhas words of warning:

"There are these roots of trees, these rooms that are void: meditate, bhikkhus, do not delay lest you regret it later. This is our instruction to you."

This morning i walked for 30 minutes followed by another 30 minute sit.

:anjali:
Last edited by bodom on Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
bodom

Re: Daily Meditation Journal

Post by bodom »

I managed to get 30 minutes of walking in just now while my daughter took a nap. Got to get it in whatever way i can. Hope to see some others posting. :smile:

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Guy

Post by Guy »

I like the idea.

So far today:

20 minutes of Metta - went quite smoothly.
40 minutes of Anapanasati - very heavy sloth and torpor, lots of day dreaming, not much mindfulness.

I will walk for a bit now, which usually helps with the sloth and torpor, then I'll do Anapanasati again.
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
bodom

Post by bodom »

Guy wrote:I like the idea.

So far today:

20 minutes of Metta - went quite smoothly.
40 minutes of Anapanasati - very heavy sloth and torpor, lots of day dreaming, not much mindfulness.

I will walk for a bit now, which usually helps with the sloth and torpor, then I'll do Anapanasati again.
Thanks for posting Guy. I have always found walking before sitting to be greatly beneficial in my practice. It is especially emphasised in the Mahasi tradition. I always keep in mind a quote from Sayadaw U. Pandita who said sitting without walking first is like trying to start a car with a dead battery.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

Walked and sat for 30 and 30. Spent a good part of the session noting the sensation of "hunger" as I haven't eaten yet. Will aim to get maybe a 30-45 sit in later today while my daughter naps.

- BB
Ben

Post by Ben »

The Daily Meditation Journal has been merged into this thread.
Be Happy!

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
effort

Post by effort »

old subject, like it :popcorn: :anjali:

i want to confess that because in the same time i get cold and my allergy starts i dint follow the routine for about 5 days, i can not breath from nostrils and sometimes feel no oxygen.
i know its just an excuse, but this time no force to make a sit.

happy to confessed !
bodom

Post by bodom »

Was able to get in a 30 minute walk and 30 minute sit just now. My daughters with grandpa for the day so I have lots of time for study and practice. :smile:

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

30 minutes walking / 30 minutes sitting.

- BB
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

tried to remain today with a mind of metta, saddha, and dana for much of it as possible. Feel much happier for it.
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
bodom

Post by bodom »

30 minutes walking / 30 minutes sitting.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

Had my hour session interupted tonight so was only able to get 30 minutes of walking in. Better than nothing i guess. :smile:

- BB
Guy

Post by Guy »

Today I walked for 100 minutes then sat for 60 minutes. Quite a lot of restlessness while I was walking so I walked for an extra 40 minutes than I originally intended to try to test out this restless feeling (a technique I have tried before). It seemed to come in waves, at first it got more intense, sometimes it was totally absent and I was very peaceful by the time I came to sit. But then while I was sitting I went the other way and slipped into some dullness a little bit when I tried to narrow my focus to the breath.
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
bodom

Post by bodom »

Only 20 minute sit tonight. My daughter is sick and not at all happy.

- BB