The Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
starter

Re: The Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge

Post by starter »

Reductor wrote:Hey all,

I downloaded that insight timer app, then searched for dhammawheel; KB has already made a group, so join up.
Hi Reductor and other friends,

Would it be possible to provide the link for the group? Where to downlod the insight timer app?

Thanks and metta!

PS: please excuse me if these questions have already been answered. I didn't read the 7 pages of the thread.
Doshin

Post by Doshin »

starter wrote:Would it be possible to provide the link for the group? Where to downlod the insight timer app?
I guess it is: https://insighttimer.com/
starter wrote:PS: please excuse me if these questions have already been answered. I didn't read the 7 pages of the thread.
I know that feeling.

_/\_
Knowing about dhamma, does not imply knowing dhamma
Ben

Post by Ben »

If you go to http://www.insighttimer.com and search for "Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge", you should be able to find our group there.
The group is only seven members strong. If you have difficulty finding the group, send either Khalil Bodhi or myself a PM on Dhamma Wheel with your insighttimer username and we will be able to invite you.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
duckfiasco

Post by duckfiasco »

Eight members strong :)
Ben

Post by Ben »

duckfiasco wrote:Eight members strong :)
Fantastic, it will be great to have you on board.
Its a small group, for sure, but that doesn't matter if it provides you with the inspiration and motivation that is going to be beneficial to you.
with metta,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Make that 9

I've joined in with the insight timer app, shout out to Ben for sending me the link.

I think it's absolutely great, and I can already see myself wanting to sit more and more just to increase my stats and unlock some achievements. Can't wait to graph them! Silly isn't it, well only partially since as I like to think there's no such thing as bad meditation.

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Ben

Post by Ben »

thanks Jack!

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Meditating in the morning before work I've never been able to do, also too tempting to have an extra hour in bed :zzz:

So thats my challenge :)
“The teacher willed that this world appear to me
as impermanent, unstable, insubstantial.
Mind, let me leap into the victor’s teaching,
carry me over the great flood, so hard to pass.”
Ben

Post by Ben »

clw_uk wrote:So thats my challenge :)
Good luck with that, Craig. It may be as simple as setting the alarm a little earlier.
All the best,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Ben wrote:
Good luck with that, Craig. It may be as simple as setting the alarm a little earlier.
All the best,

Ben

Haha I do but the damn snooze button! Lol :computerproblem:
“The teacher willed that this world appear to me
as impermanent, unstable, insubstantial.
Mind, let me leap into the victor’s teaching,
carry me over the great flood, so hard to pass.”
Ben

Post by Ben »

clw_uk wrote:
Ben wrote:
All the best,

Ben

Haha I do but the damn snooze button! Lol :computerproblem:
I have the same problem Craig, so I put the alarm clock out somewhere it forces me out of bed to turn it off.
That, and I have an iphone and I set four or five alarms that go off within a minute of each other. It usually does the trick.
kind regards,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Ben

Post by Ben »

Dear all,

This is another reminder of the Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge group on Insighttimer.com. http://www.insighttimer.com
We have a small group of practitioners registered with the group at Insighttimer. One of the things I like about the timer is that it will let you know when other group members or "friends" are meditating at the same time, allowing one to send a message of support which can be picked up at the end of the session. For those of you who live far away from a sangha, it may provide that additional level of support to help you keep your meditation practice regular.
kind regards,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

:goodpost:

I couldn't agree more. The app and our group have been instrumental in getting me to my cushion every day for some time now.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

As of July 20th 2013, I just passed my eighth year keeping a meditation log (no apps, just several small notebooks and a ball point pen ) and having sat at least once a day, every day of those 8 years.

One of the best decisions of my life.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

:twothumbsup: Awesome Jhana4!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com