The Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Mary50

Re: The Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge

Post by Mary50 »

Sat for two morning and evening meditations of 20 minutes each, less distracted. Also did 15 minutes and 30 minutes of guided meditation following videos from Ajahn Brahm and Joseph Goldstein. Read articles by Joseph Goldstein and Ven Thinissaro Bhikkhu.
Mary50

Post by Mary50 »

Settling into daily practice and meditating for 20 minutes, spending an hour or more reading resources, did 30 minute walking meditation.

From now on I'll post once a week, see if I can increase the times of meditation to 30 minutes and then 45 minutes each day.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Mary50 wrote: From now on I'll post once a week, see if I can increase the times of meditation to 30 minutes and then 45 minutes each day.
A good approach. Like with physical exercise it's good to be regular and build up stamina slowly.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Mary50

Post by Mary50 »

Thanks Norman, I want to build a very steady stable sitting practice this year.
Mary50

Post by Mary50 »

And now steady sitting practice at 45 minutes in the mornings and again in the evenings, also using 20-minute video guided meditations a few times during the weekfor added motivation. A time of quietening down, bouts of sleepiness but getting re-acquainted with the body and breath.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Mary50 wrote:And now steady sitting practice at 45 minutes in the mornings and again in the evenings, also using 20-minute video guided meditations a few times during the weekfor added motivation. A time of quietening down, bouts of sleepiness but getting re-acquainted with the body and breath.
Excellent! It's more than I'm doing at the moment, I think I will blame that on the gloomy winter weather. ;)
Ben

Post by Ben »

This is a reminder that there is a Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge group on the smart phone app 'Insight Timer'.
I would like to invite you all to join.
With metta,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
PPT

Post by PPT »

My goal is to be able to watch the arising and dissipating of sexual desire for at least another week without giving in to temptation. It is a bit strange because normally I don't have a strong desire for that particular sensual pleasure in comparison to the other 5 senses, but once I started keeping the "abrahmacariya" precept, the body seems to go into rebellion.
Dr. Dukkha

Post by Dr. Dukkha »

Does anyone else have a retreat experience like this?

http://oneshrinksperspective.com/2013/0 ... on-course/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting."
Khalil Bodhi

30 Hours in 30 Days Challenge

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to propose a challenge to anyone who feels up to it: I am going to see if I can reach the modest goal of meditating for an hour a day for 30 days. I will split it up into three sessions myself and may end up with more than 1 hour per day but I want to see how I feel by essentially doubling my formal meditation.

Any takers?
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Spiny Norman

Re: 30 Hours in 30 Days Challenge

Post by Spiny Norman »

Khalil Bodhi wrote:I just wanted to propose a challenge to anyone who feels up to it: I am going to see if I can reach the modest goal of meditating for an hour a day for 30 days. I will split it up into three sessions myself and may end up with more than 1 hour per day but I want to see how I feel by essentially doubling my formal meditation.
Any takers?
I'm currently doing an hour a day ( 2 x 30 mins ) so would be happy to join you. However I usually have a day off on Sundays, is that OK? ;)
Khalil Bodhi

Re: 30 Hours in 30 Days Challenge

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Khalil Bodhi wrote:I just wanted to propose a challenge to anyone who feels up to it: I am going to see if I can reach the modest goal of meditating for an hour a day for 30 days. I will split it up into three sessions myself and may end up with more than 1 hour per day but I want to see how I feel by essentially doubling my formal meditation.
Any takers?
I'm currently doing an hour a day ( 2 x 30 mins ) so would be happy to join you. However I usually have a day off on Sundays, is that OK? ;)
Great! Glad to have such good company and I'll have the front office issue you a Sunday waiver :tongue:
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

My Practice Blog:
Alexander____

Post by Alexander____ »

I would be happy to join you. I have a Goenka retreat coming up on the 5th of next month and would love to have increased my sitting so I'm a bit more comfortable for it than previous times!

Alexander
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Alexander____ wrote:I would be happy to join you. I have a Goenka retreat coming up on the 5th of next month and would love to have increased my sitting so I'm a bit more comfortable for it than previous times!

Alexander
Great! So that makes three. I'm about to head off for my mid-day sit now (15 minutes only) to get my head back on straight before I get back to work.
-Dhp. 183

My Practice Blog:
ajhayes

Post by ajhayes »

Ben wrote:This is a reminder that there is a Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge group on the smart phone app 'Insight Timer'.
I would like to invite you all to join.
With metta,
Ben
Thank you for the heads up about the group. It should help me with this work in progress. :thumbsup: