The Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Re: The Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge

Postby m0rl0ck » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:34 am

1.75 hours today.
"Even if you've read the whole Canon and can remember lots of teachings; even if you can explain them in poignant ways, with lots of people to respect you; even if you build a lot of monastery buildings, or can explain inconstancy, stress, and not-self in the most detailed fashion ... The only thing that serves your own true purpose is release from suffering.

"And you'll be able to gain release from suffering only when you know the one mind."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... eleft.html
m0rl0ck

Postby m0rl0ck » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:42 pm

.75 hours yesterday.
"Even if you've read the whole Canon and can remember lots of teachings; even if you can explain them in poignant ways, with lots of people to respect you; even if you build a lot of monastery buildings, or can explain inconstancy, stress, and not-self in the most detailed fashion ... The only thing that serves your own true purpose is release from suffering.

"And you'll be able to gain release from suffering only when you know the one mind."

m0rl0ck

Postby Sokehi » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:18 pm

my Adhitthana for the rest of february:
at least 30 min. of sitting meditation a day
at least 30 min. of walking meditation a day
Get the wanting out of waiting

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajaan Fuang Jotiko
Sokehi

Postby Spiny Norman » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:25 pm

m0rl0ck wrote:1.75 hours today.

That's quite impressive. I "peaked" at around 2 hours a day a couple of years ago and it's been down-hill ever since. ;)
Spiny Norman

Postby Abs.truth » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:48 am

To Weakfocus,

Thanks for the idea of maintaining the log.

I will now keep log for 3 things from tomorrow 20Feb2014:
1) Morning: (20 min) meditation
2) Afternoon: (20 min) alternate sitting & walking meditation for atleast 2.5 hours
3) Morning & Evening: Keeping mindfulness while working in kitchen
Abs.truth

Postby m0rl0ck » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:46 am

30 mins yesterday 45 today.

That's quite impressive. I "peaked" at around 2 hours a day a couple of years ago and it's been down-hill ever since. ;)

I can usually only do that on weekend days. :)

m0rl0ck

Month 8

Postby Weakfocus » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:18 am

Seventh month is done.

This month started awful. Daily sittings were going 'wrong', virtually no mindfulness no matter how hard I tried. I simply could not stay aware of incoming and outgoing breath. For the few seconds I could keep the mind on breath, I would notice that my natural breath was like loud bellows and yet I could not feel its touch at all. Mental. I was coming to hate these sittings since I could not cope with the intense pain of the last 10 minutes. I came very near to quitting in frustration. I was also feeling very miserable and depressed in general for inexplicable reasons; I have not noticed such strong suicidal urges and feeling of hopelessness since the month I started this practice.

Anyway, I persisted with daily sittings and then had a breakthrough in March. One day before sitting I told myself that maybe I was trying too hard to stay aware of respiration. So I decided to quit fretting about slow progress, pain and all the rest and just sit with breath for as long as I could. And the instant I accepted that this practice was a marathon and not a sprint after all, my breath became light and refined and mindfulness improved dramatically. So much so that I was surprised when the alarm rang, unlike in the days past when I would be wishing for alarm to ring to end my torture.

So I get to experience the extremes in the same month, yet again. Mind is now wandering much less, and comes back to breath much sooner. Towards the end of the month I began to experience good mindfulness. I have a feeling that in future I will look back at this month as the turning point of my practice, and possibly life. I made big progress this month, something I would not have thought possible the way things started in Feburary.

Physical and mental hindrances are all either reducing or do not have as much power over me as they did until a couple weeks ago. I can maintain fairly good, stable posture for most of the sitting, I only have to straighten the back maybe once every five minutes or so. It is only the last ten minutes that are rather challenging on the lower back, and the sharp pain destroys my awareness of the breath. But that will also improve with time and persistent efforts.

And now onto the eighth month. This month I resolve to practice Anapanasati meditation every morning and evening for at least 60 minutes. I may not have internet access for upto two weeks this month, so some entries will be missing. But I will be sitting everyday. I am not going to quit after coming so far.

Morning sitting.
Evening sitting.

Morning sitting.
Evening sitting.

55 minute Morning sitting.
55 minute Evening sitting.

Evening sitting.

Evening sitting.

Morning sitting.

Morning sitting.

Evening sitting.

45 minute Evening sitting.

Morning sitting.
50 minute Evening sitting.

Evening sitting.

Morning sitting.
Evening sitting.

50 minute Morning sitting.

29 to 13:
Did my morning and evening sittings, although most were less than 60 minutes.

Last edited by Weakfocus on Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:13 pm, edited 29 times in total.
Weakfocus

Postby Ben » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:14 am

Hi weakfocus,
Well done. When meditation becomes unpleasant there is a tendency for some of us to think we are going backwards. But one's experience of meditation is no indication of our progress. Keep that in mind the next time you are facing difficulties.
I wish you all the best with your resolve to meditate for two hours a day. It's the same length and frequency that I meditate. My advice to you is to treat yourself kindly. If you do not make a sit - so be it. It's more important that it becomes a regular part of your life and that it becomes am established part of your life. In my experience, that only happens when you are relaxed and comfortable.
I wish you every success.
With metta,
Ben.
"Only those who take to meditation with good intentions can be assured of success. With the development of the purity and the power of the mind backed by the insight into the ultimate truth of nature, one might be able to do a lot of things in the right direction for the benefit of mankind."

Sayagyi U Ba Khin

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief
UNHCR Syria Emergency Relief AppealTyphoon Haiyan Relief AppealKiva: (person to person micro-finance)

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Month 9

Postby Weakfocus » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:54 am

For some time now I have been feeling the need/desire for a third sitting. So this month my resolve is to do three Anapanasati sittings a day: morning and evening sittings for 60 minutes, and an afternoon sitting of 30 minutes duration to begin with. Eventual aim is to have three equal length sittings per day, but that will have to be done gradually lest the mind rebel hard and upsets the usual two sittings.

Afternoon sitting.

Afternoon sitting.

Morning sitting.
Afternoon sitting.

Morning sitting.
Weakfocus

Previous