Buddho

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Re: Buddho

Postby bodom » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:20 pm

In order to assist those who have difficulties in controlling the mind, it is suggested that they attach to words like ‘Buddho’by saying mentally ‘Bud’ while inhaling and ‘Dho’ while exhaling. To attach the mind to the word ‘Buddho’ is very useful and helpful. The word ‘Buddho’ is popularly used among the Thai meditators because ‘Buddho’ represents the Buddha’s name meaning ‘one who knows, one who always awakes, and one who is always in high spirits’. Keeping this word in the mind makes one’s mind peaceful all the time and one also gains merit every time one breaths with attachment to this word.

Ven. Phra Tepvisuddhikavi

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby bodom » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:25 pm

The word ‘Buddho’, used as a mantra in meditation practice, is very useful for beginners of meditation since it can stop the mind from wavering or wandering outside. But after practicing until one is proficient in it, the word ‘Buddho’ will automatically disappear. At that stage, one has already been trained and well-versed in knowing the in and out breaths. This is similar to the practice of ABC writing; at first one must use a ruler or lined paper to write on but after one is well-trained, one can write well without using the lines.

Ven. Phra Tepvisuddhikavi

The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby bodom » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:26 pm

So using the breath, the normal breathing, dont try to control anything. Its not like you have to breathe in a certain way or control the breath-just the way youre experiencing it. Just let it be that way, and use that, just the inhalation, exhalation, rising, falling..because thats happening right now. Its just what it is, its natural, its nature. Its just the way it is. And your a witness to it, because you recognize youre in the position of the Buddho, or the knower, the witness.

In the the Thai forest tradition they use this mantra a lot called Buddho, which is the name of the Buddha-Awakened Knowing. Its conscious knowing. When we took the refuges last evening, we took refuge in the Buddha. So now your actually in the position of the witness, the knowing. Its the Buddho, knowing the way it is, the breath is like this...Buddho helps you to focus and remember to just use the breath as a focus...to begin to recognize awareness.

Ajahn Sumedho

bodom

Postby bodom » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:35 pm

We use this word Buddho, the name "Buddha" itself, the one who knows. Its a significant word because it is pointing to a state of attention, of knowing directly, of intuitive awareness, of wisdom. So theres no person. If I say " Im Buddha," then thats coming from personality again, from identity. Thinking "I am the Buddha" doesnt work. We have refuge in Buddha: Buddham saranam gacchami. Thats a kind of convention too, but it points to a reality that we can begin to trust in, which is awareness-because the Buddha is Buddho, the one who knows, that which knows,which is awake and aware. Its awakeness. Its not judgemental or critical.

Ajahn Sumedho

http://books.google.com/books?id=TqKbrm ... CDAQ6AEwBQ

bodom

Postby bodom » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:43 pm

When you see yourself in personaml terms as someone who needs to get something or get rid of something, you limit yourself to being someone who has to get something you dont yuet have or get rid of something you shouldnt have. So we reflecton this and learn to be the witness, Buddho-that which is awake and aware, which listens to and knows personality views and emotional states without taking them personally....Thats why this awareness, this awakeness, is the essence of the Buddhist teaching. Buddho simply means awakened awareness.

Ajahn Sumedho

bodom

Postby bodom » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:52 pm

Whatever impinges on you, whether you are sitting, standing, walking, lying down, tired or rested, happy or sad, succeeding or failing-whatever way the world goes or changes-there is still the centerpoint, there is still the point of knowing. Buddho is this centerpoint and knows the Dhamma.

Ajahn Sumedho

bodom

Postby bodom » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:06 pm

When we develop awareness, were coming from intuitive awareness rather than from personal eperience. So when we epress everything in a personal way, it tends to give the impression of something; it reinforces the sense of "me" and "mine" as a personality, as "my" reality. Whereas Pali terms are not meant to be taken in a personal way. "Buddha, Dhamma, Sangha" is not some personal mode of expression, but points to the reality we experience right here and now. So when I use this word "Buddho" or "Buddha", this is not meant to be some kind personal achievement or identity; it points to the pure knowing, pure subjectivity, before the personality arises. This is like intuitive intelligence-its universal intelligence, not a personally acquired knowledge. So I just keep pointing to this "Buddho" that we recognize through being fully present, fully attentive to the present moment, Then it is like composing, bringing your scattered mind to this one point, here and now.

Ajahn Sumedho

bodom

Postby jcsuperstar » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:22 pm

“BUDDHO is something cool and calm.
It’s the path for giving rise to peace and contemned —
the only path that will release us from
the suffering and stress in this world.”

ajaan thate
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby bodom » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:09 pm

jcsuperstar wrote:

ajaan thate

:thumbsup:

Just ordered Buddho from Wave. I wanted his other books, Flavor of the Dhamma and Steps Along the Path but they were out.

bodom

Postby jcsuperstar » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:39 pm

for some reason i was flipping through emptying the rose apple seat by Sayadaw Dr.Rewata Dhamma and it mentions using buddho, which is the 1st I've seen it outside of the Thai traditions. i cant find the book online though :(
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:43 pm

bodom wrote:
jcsuperstar wrote:

ajaan thate

:thumbsup:

Just ordered Buddho from Wave. I wanted his other books, Flavor of the Dhamma and Steps Along the Path but they were out.

you can get steps along the path from Inward Path and it is also included in his autobiography. there is also a deep and perfect vision which is translated by ajahn sumano. i've never seen Flavor of the Dhamma i'll look around for it now... :tongue:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

jcsuperstar

Postby bodom » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:59 pm

jcsuperstar wrote:you can get steps along the path from Inward Path and it is also included in his autobiography. there is also a deep and perfect vision which is translated by ajahn sumano. i've never seen Flavor of the Dhamma i'll look around for it now... :tongue:

Good luck. Flavor of the Dhamma is a bit of a rarity it seems. I checked out Inward Path but it says they only take Paypal as payment which I dont have. :tantrum:

bodom

Postby jcsuperstar » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:09 am

so i got this book
Buddhism in Practice
http://www.amazon.com/Buddhism-Practice-Donald-Lopez-Jr/dp/0691044414/ref=tmm_pap_title_1

and it has a chapter that is a translation of an old Thai meditation text, and in it it teaches one how to use buddho, but the text was written in 1900 by a monk named Pannawong bhikkhu and believe to be the style of teaching of his teacher Khruba Khamphira, and thought to be the meditation practiced in the northern area.

it has one recite buddho while using a mala,and recolections of the Buddha's virtues. quite interesting!

but this points to buddho predating the ajaan Sao/Mun forest tradition...

my research continues!
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

jcsuperstar

Postby bodom » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:27 am

Very interesting. Good find Jc. Ill have to check that book out.

bodom

Postby Viriya » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:06 pm

Good work in finding that, Jcsuperstar! Wouldn't we all like to know where 'buddho' as a meditation object started?

(Laughs) I have a *completely unfounded* hypothesis that it was a back influence from Chinese Mahayana Buddhism on Thai Buddhism. The practice of reciting 'buddho', especially using beads, does show at least a superficial similarity to the Mahayanist practice of reciting Buddha's names, e.g. 'Amituofo'. But that's merely speculation.
I'm not very good at right speech, although I try, so please guide and correct me if necessary so I don't make bad kamma for myself and cause others to be annoyed. (=
Viriya

Postby jcsuperstar » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Viriya wrote:Good work in finding that, Jcsuperstar! Wouldn't we all like to know where 'buddho' as a meditation object started?

(Laughs) I have a *completely unfounded* hypothesis that it was a back influence from Chinese Mahayana Buddhism on Thai Buddhism. The practice of reciting 'buddho', especially using beads, does show at least a superficial similarity to the Mahayanist practice of reciting Buddha's names, e.g. 'Amituofo'. But that's merely speculation.

well it is done in conjunction with the recollection of the qualities of the Buddha, and this as a formal meditation practice goes at least as far back to Buddhaghosa in sri lanka, so theres no reason to assume a mahayana influence just yet, in fact the mahayana Buddha recollections probably borrowed their styles from whatever pre-sectarian Buddha anussati practices were in vogue.

for more on anussati check this out
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/study/recollections.html#summary
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

jcsuperstar

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:03 pm

jcsuperstar wrote:so i got this book
Buddhism in Practice
http://www.amazon.com/Buddhism-Practice-Donald-Lopez-Jr/dp/0691044414/ref=tmm_pap_title_1

and it has a chapter that is a translation of an old Thai meditation text, and in it it teaches one how to use buddho, but the text was written in 1900 by a monk named Pannawong bhikkhu and believe to be the style of teaching of his teacher Khruba Khamphira, and thought to be the meditation practiced in the northern area.

it has one recite buddho while using a mala,and recolections of the Buddha's virtues. quite interesting!

but this points to buddho predating the ajaan Sao/Mun forest tradition...

my research continues!

Interesting stuff. Have you finished reading yet? Would you recommend the book because I have always been intrigued by the use of malas in Theravada practice and have some experience using buddho as a technique.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=148031379279&v=info
Kiva-Theravada Buddhists:http://www.kiva.org/team/theravada_buddhists
Dana on the Interwebs:
http://greatergood.com
http://freerice.com
Khalil Bodhi

Postby samadhi_steve » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:07 pm

Ajahn Mun comparing Buddho to the Citta's food. Great simile!

“That’s too bad. Where’s it gone? Well, don’t be discouraged. Just put maximum effort into your practice and it will reappear for sure. It has simply wandered off somewhere. If you accelerate your efforts it will come back on its own. The citta is like a dog: it inevitably follows its owner wherever he goes. It won’t just run away. Intensify your practice and the citta is bound to return on its own. Don’t waste time thinking about where it’s gone to. Wherever it’s gone, it can’t possibly run away. If you want it to return quickly, concentrate your efforts. Any discouragement will only boost the citta’s ego. Thinking you really miss it so much, it will play hard-to-get. So stop thinking about the citta you’ve lost. Instead, think “buddho”, repeating it continuously, over and over again. Once the word “buddho” has been mentally established by repeating it continuously in rapid succession, the citta will hurry back of its own accord. Even then, don’t let go of buddho. Buddho is the citta’s food – as long as there is food, it will always come running back. So repeat “buddho” constantly until the citta has eaten its fill, then it will have to take a rest. You too will feel satisfied while the citta rests calmly. When it’s calm, it ceases to run madly about looking to cause you trouble. Keep this practice up until you cannot chase it away, even if you want to. This is the perfect method to use with a mind whose ravenous appetite is never satiated. As long as it has enough food, it will not leave even if you try to drive it away. Follow my advice and the state of your citta will never again deteriorate. Buddho is the key. So long as its food is there, it won’t stray. Do as I say and you’ll never again experience the disappointment of seeing your citta get worse time and time again.”
Buddho is something cool and calm. It's the path for giving rise to peace and contentment — the only path that will release us from the suffering and stress in this world.
samadhi_steve

Postby bodom » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:16 am

Ajahn Mun :bow:

Excellent. Thank you Steve.

bodom

Postby samadhi_steve » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:54 am

Ajahn Pu Dune Atulo

"When you meditate, don't send your mind outside. Don't fasten onto any knowledge at all. Whatever knowledge you've gained from books or teachers, don't bring it in to complicate things. Cut away all preoccupations, and then as you meditate let all your knowledge come from what's going on in the mind. When the mind is quiet, you'll know it for yourself. But you have to keep meditating a lot. When the time comes for things to develop, they'll develop on their own. Whatever you know, have it come from your own mind.

"The knowledge that comes from a mind that's quiet is extremely subtle and profound. So let your knowledge come out of a mind quiet and still.

"Have the mind give rise to a single preoccupation. Don't send it outside. Let the mind stay right in the mind. Let the mind meditate on its own. Let it be the one that keeps repeating buddho, buddho. And then genuine buddho will appear in the mind. You'll know for yourself what buddho is like. That's all there is to it. There's not a whole lot..."
Last edited by samadhi_steve on Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buddho is something cool and calm. It's the path for giving rise to peace and contentment — the only path that will release us from the suffering and stress in this world.
samadhi_steve

PreviousNext

Return to Theravada Meditation