Is meditation the only way?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
subaru

Is meditation the only way?

Post by subaru »

Dear learned Dhamma friends,

In the Jataka, stories of Buddha in his previous lives, the Bodhisatta were practicing generosities, morality, truthfulness and other qualities beside wisdom via mental cultivation.

How can I know if I have sufficient pre-requisites to even attempt mental cultivation?
How do I know which of the ten Paramis I need to develop before I can have progress in mental cultivation?
Is there any evidence in the Tripitaka that the Buddha in his previous lives performed meditation while he was developing other paramis?

I have faith that meditation is required to develop the wisdom necessary to achieve liberation, but I question the rationale of me assuming that I have sufficient requisites even to attempt meditation, perhaps my time is better spent developing other qualities first? How can I know?

Thank you
:candle:
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Is meditation the only way?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Unless you're mentally retarded, which you're obviously not as you can put together a comprehensible train of thought to write your post, then you already have sufficient perfections to practice meditation. Whether you have sufficient to gain the Noble Path in this very life or not you will only know if you strive for the rest of your life with full commitment.

Whatever the current state of your perfections, striving to cultivate mindfulness can only improve them, while giving in to doubt and laziness will only squander however much or little time you have left of this precious human existence.

By all means cultivate the other perfections too, such as generosity, morality, loving-kindness, etc., but meditation is important for the cultivation of the perfection of wisdom.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

subaru wrote:I have faith that meditation is required to develop the wisdom necessary to achieve liberation, but I question the rationale of me assuming that I have sufficient requisites even to attempt meditation, perhaps my time is better spent developing other qualities first? How can I know?
Anyone can meditate, and I think it's better to meditate badly than not at all. It's through meditating badly one starts to learn how the mind works (or more to the point how it's dysfunctional), how suffering is created, and to let go of identification with changing experience.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
subaru

Post by subaru »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
Whatever the current state of your perfections, striving to cultivate mindfulness can only improve them, while giving in to doubt and laziness will only squander however much or little time you have left of this precious human existence.

By all means cultivate the other perfections too, such as generosity, morality, loving-kindness, etc., but meditation is important for the cultivation of the perfection of wisdom.
Thank you Bhikkhu Pesala, for the encouraging words.
oli

Post by oli »

Just to pass on some wisdom from Gil Fronsdal... I remember him mentioning in a talk that if you really want to develop wisdom then try to develop mindfulness of speech - beginning with being aware of the underlying intention every time you speak.

As for your question 'How can I know whether I am ready!?!' - does it not make sense to give it a good go and see what happens?!? Bearing in mind that meditating with a mind full of expectation will affect your experience of meditation and may be a condition for the arising of tension...
Wishing you all the best on your quest,
Oli
ihrjordan

Post by ihrjordan »

Read through this thread as best you can and everything will make sense

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15952" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

Anguttara Nikaya 5.26 gives the five
occasions when liberation is attained:
 Listening to the Dhamma,
 Teaching the Dhamma,
 Repeating the Dhamma,
 Reflecting on the Dhamma, and
 Some concentration sign (samadhi nimitta) is rightly reflected
upon and understood

Of these five occasions, only the last possibly refers to formal
meditation. This shows that understanding the Dhamma is of
paramount importance for liberation. Two synonymous Pali terms
frequently recur in the suttas: (i) bahusacca –– much hearing of the
Truths (Dhamma), and (ii) bahussuta –– much hearing of Dhamma.

http://www.dhammatalks.net/Books3/Dhamm ... ration.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://dharmafarer.org/wordpress/wp-con ... 6-piya.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
subaru

Post by subaru »

Thanks to all for your thoughtful replies.

I must have been deluded when I asked the question. Thanks to a Venerable Bhikkhu for reminding me not to give in to doubt and laziness, namely two of the 5 hindrances of mental cultivation. And he also pointed out that nothing is stopping me from developing other Paramis if I so wish to.

I was shocked how well disguised my delusion was until it was exposed.
Ben

Post by Ben »

subaru wrote:Thanks to all for your thoughtful replies.

I must have been deluded when I asked the question. Thanks to a Venerable Bhikkhu for reminding me not to give in to doubt and laziness, namely two of the 5 hindrances of mental cultivation. And he also pointed out that nothing is stopping me from developing other Paramis if I so wish to.

I was shocked how well disguised my delusion was until it was exposed.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with your enquiry, Subaru.
I'm glad our members could be of assistance to you.
Kind regards,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..