Stuckness, indecision, doubt, commitment, self-worth and spiritual burnout.

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Jones

Re: Stuckness, indecision, doubt, commitment, self-worth and spiritual burnout.

Post by Jones »

Correction to website address
http://www.wisdom-books.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And Buddhist Publication Society-
http://www.bps.lk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oli

Post by oli »

Thank you Ven. Kumara sounds like wise guidance...
I remember Ajahn Sucitto giving an analogy about having one's foot pumping gas in a car without being in gear and consequently one's efforts not getting one anywhere. That fits for me. The question is, how does one 'get into gear'. I'm thinking part of the solution may just be about relaxing. Although that in itself requires an appropriate effort...

I am aware of the lots of teachings in the Sutta Pitaka - I've in fact helped with the transcription process for the access to insight website. The doubt I have relates more about my abilities or maybe even about what the best way to approach the path is for me ( given my long-term sense of being stuck etc). I have great confidence in the teachings themselves - they amaze me in terms of their universality, thoroughness and relevance.

PS I am 29 now but I've been trying to practise since about the age of 17 or 18 - back then I thought I could do a couple of retreats and I'd be well on the way to Awakening!

Can anybody suggest some teachers who may work closely with me in the UK or North-West England?

Thanks for the tip about approaching monks and taking the initiative oneself....
Peace to you all,
Oli.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

"The question is, how does one 'get into gear'"

========
By practice.
Do not rev hard though.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Kumara

Post by Kumara »

oli wrote:Can anybody suggest some teachers who may work closely with me in the UK or North-West England?
Generally, the teachers of the Aj Chah tradition are recommended. Have you tried Aj Munindo?