brick walls for training?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
no mike

brick walls for training?

Post by no mike »

Has anyone information on a series of short walls (building up progressively, but not too high), possibly used for training in walking meditation? I've seen this at a small temple in Thailand which was located in a remote farming region. There was a resident monk walking on these short walls. I have been googling text and images but can't seem to find any references.

Thank you, for any information :)
TheNoBSBuddhist

Re: brick walls for training?

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
no mike

Post by no mike »

Oh, yes, I could make my own. But I will have to put them in my 2 bedroom condo, in particular, around my bed. Haha. But if this is a tool that can be used to help with concentration, and has been suggested by mediation teachers, I would seriously consider it.
TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

You can use anything as a 'foot-guide' even if you go to a poorly-frequented street, and practise walking along the border of a sidewalk, or in a supermarket, following a line of tiles on the floor... any focus of concentration which aides mindfulness and remaining 'Present' can be a help.

If you don't have the tools - invent them! The limitations are merely confined to the diameter of your own vision.... the skull may be small, but the Mind is limitless....
Last edited by TheNoBSBuddhist on Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
rgb1

Post by rgb1 »

Why not just do standard walking meditation, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IFvablc6EI. Half the time you will be trying to balance on the stick which isn't the point of walking meditation. Also standard walking meditation doesn't require special conditions, like a balancing stick for example.
no mike

Post by no mike »

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:You can use anything as a 'foot-guide' even if you go to a poorly-frequented street, and practise walking along the border of a sidewalk, or in a supermarket, following a line of tiles on the floor... any focus of concentration which aides mindfulness and remaining 'Present' can be a help.

If you don't have the tools - invent them! The limitations are merely confined to the diameter of your own vision.... the skull may be small, but the Mind is limitless....
I like your thinking :)

But before I go any further with walking on boards, etc., I would like see if there are any references to this kind of technique. I was hoping someone on Dhammawheel has seen or heard of this, as I am coming up with nothing online, and I lost contact with the person who took me to that remote location in the Thai countryside where I saw the walls.

The other night, when I pretended I was on a wall and making very careful heel-to-toe placements in a straight line, and turning and right angles, I found significant improvement at continuous mindfulness and concentration. As soon as my mind wandered, I found my arms shooting out to regain balance.
no mike

Post by no mike »

rgb1 wrote:Why not just do standard walking meditation, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IFvablc6EI. Half the time you will be trying to balance on the stick which isn't the point of walking meditation. Also standard walking meditation doesn't require special conditions, like a balancing stick for example.
Great video, thank you!

I wonder if boards could be effectively used as guided-practice, an accommodation for the technique similar to the one used in the video, which could be faded out over time.

If I investigate this, I will share my results.

:)