Brahma-viharas

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
waryoffolly

Brahma-viharas

Post by waryoffolly »

I'm curious as to what the opinions of others are on the technique spelled out in suttas for the brahma viharas. That is, the stock passage describing a process of creating the perception of surrounding all beings, and oneself in whichever one is currently being practice. (Here I am talking about the nikaya method, not the modern one derived from the commentaries)

Also, it seems as though the suttas only take the time to give a full description of metta, I can't seem to find much description of the others, in particular equanimity in its details is rather sparsely talked about in the context of the brahma viharas.

I am aware of the countless modern commentaries on the topic, and am mainly interested in a bare bones definition straight from the four nikayas. Does one even exist for the other three?
daverupa

Re: Brahma-viharas

Post by daverupa »

While considering this question, you might also contemplate the Sedaka Sutta's approach.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Ananda26

Re: Brahma-viharas

Post by Ananda26 »

waryoffolly wrote:I'm curious as to what the opinions of others are on the technique spelled out in suttas for the brahma viharas. That is, the stock passage describing a process of creating the perception of surrounding all beings, and oneself in whichever one is currently being practice. (Here I am talking about the nikaya method, not the modern one derived from the commentaries)

Also, it seems as though the suttas only take the time to give a full description of metta, I can't seem to find much description of the others, in particular equanimity in its details is rather sparsely talked about in the context of the brahma viharas.

I am aware of the countless modern commentaries on the topic, and am mainly interested in a bare bones definition straight from the four nikayas. Does one even exist for the other three?

One abides pervading the first direction with a mind imbued with loving kindness likewise the second, likewise the third, likewise the fourth, so above, below, horizontally and everywhere one abides pervading all the world with a mind of loving kindness abundant, exalted, and immeasurable without hostillity and without ill will.

One abides pervading the first direction with a mind imbued with compassion likewise the second, likewise the third, likewise the fourth, so above, below, horizontally and everywhere one abides pervading all the world with a mind of compassion, abundant, exalted, and immeasurable without hostillity and without ill will.

One abides pervading the first direction with a mind imbued with sympathetic joy likewise the second, likewise the third, likewise the fourth, so above, below, horizontally and everywhere one abides pervading all the world with a mind of sympathetic joy, abundant, exalted, and immeasurable without hostillity and without ill will.

One abides pervading the first direction with a mind imbued with equanimity likewise the second, likewise the third, likewise the fourth, so above, below, horizontally and everywhere one abides pervading all the world with a mind of equanimity ,abundant, exalted, and immeasurable without hostillity and without ill will.

I have communicated here the 4 Brahma Viharas in their unabreviated form. I also recommend doing the meditation as helpful to learn more about it.

In some discourses Buddha specifically takes up loving kindess for more discussion.