Cannot ignore thought...

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Myotai

Re: Cannot ignore thought...

Post by Myotai »

Bakmoon wrote:Hi, Myotai. Could you tell us what method of meditation you have been practicing? Sometimes the way you deal with distraction depends on what method you are using.
Hi, my session starts with a period of just sitting in an attempt to allow my thoughts to wear themselves out - they calm down after around 15mins. them I move to the breath, to calm my mind further. Then ultimately settling into a general awareness of the body just sitting there - ala Silent Illumination or a sort of general awareness of the body (though not a body scan). If there is wandering then I go back to the breath...then back to the sense of the body sitting on the cushion.

Been practicing this way for some time now, at least the last 18 months - its just recently I have found intrusive thoughts a real problem. I have been practicing for many years now too.

Thanks...
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Myotai wrote: If there is wandering then I go back to the breath...then back to the sense of the body sitting on the cushion.
What might help is just returning to the breath, ie keep it really simple.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Myotai

Post by Myotai »

SarathW wrote:Great answers to your question from Joseph Goldstine.
One of the best hours I invested!
:)

http://www.dharmaseed.org/teacher/96/talk/3552/
Listened to this three times now...excellent talk - Thanks Sarath :anjali:
Ananda26

Post by Ananda26 »

Myotai wrote:Hi all,

I have had a lot of advice over the years about how to deal with a busy mind, but never really been able to implement one to any real effect.

For instance I understand that the best course of action is to be just OK with any thoughts that arise, and I am sure this might well work for some. I can only speak for myself clearly but that approach doesn't seem to cut it. It feels a little like avoidance or some sort of safety behaviour that has no real effect on shutting the mind up sufficiently to be able to focus.

What are you experiences/thoughts re this?

Thanks,

Tony...
First Jhana Technique: Here quite secluded from sensual pleasures, secluded from unwholesome states one enters upon the first jhana which has thinking and pondering with rapture and pleasure of seclusion.

Second Jhana Technique: With the stilling of thinking and pondering, by gaining internal serene confidence and unification of mind one enters upon the second jhana which is without thinking and pondering with rapture and pleasure of concentration.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

From another great book:

In the wordless observation of the breath, there are two states to be avoided: thinking and sinking. The thinking mind manifests most clearly as the monkey-mind phenomenon we have just been discussing. The sinking mind is almost the reverse. As a general term, sinking mind denotes any dimming of awareness. At its best, it is sort of a mental vacuum in which there is no thought, no observation of the breath, no awareness of anything. It is a gap, a formless mental gray area rather like a dreamless sleep. Sinking mind is a void. Avoid it.

Page 46
http://www.stefan.gr/buddhism/books/hen ... nglish.pdf
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Myotai

Post by Myotai »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Myotai wrote: If there is wandering then I go back to the breath...then back to the sense of the body sitting on the cushion.
What might help is just returning to the breath, ie keep it really simple.
Problem is, currently the lack of focus is much much longer than the focus. I return to the breath for a very short time before not even noticing that I am away again, dreaming or ruminating...
fivebells

Post by fivebells »

The simplest way's the best if it works, of course. If it's not working, the methods described in this talk might be useful.
Myotai

Post by Myotai »

fivebells wrote:The simplest way's the best if it works, of course. If it's not working, the methods described in this talk might be useful.
Either my browsers not working or you've played a Zen joke on me...your link brings me back to this page... :-)
fivebells

Post by fivebells »

Oops, this talk. :)