Good Theravada Meditation Books

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
ccook70

Good Theravada Meditation Books

Post by ccook70 »

Hello,

I am new to Buddhism.

Please direct me to some good Therevada meditation books explaining the concepts, how-to's etc.

Thanks for your help.

Corey
tiltbillings

Re: GOOD THEREVADA MEDITATION BOOKS

Post by tiltbillings »

>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
culaavuso

Post by culaavuso »

MN 118, Anapanasati Sutta, contains the canonical description by the Buddha of mindfulness of breathing.

DN 22, Maha-satipatthana Sutta, contains the canonical description by the Buddha of the four foundations of mindfulness.

Upasika Kee Nanayon: Breath Meditation Condensed

Thanissaro Bhikkhu: Basic Breath Meditation Instructions and the much more detailed With Each and Every Breath

Ajaan Lee Dhammadharo: Keeping the Breath in Mind

Mahasi Sayadaw: Satipatthana Vipassana

A large library of teachings from a number of teachers is available for free at Access to Insight Library
bodom

Post by bodom »

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
vishuroshan

Post by vishuroshan »