Effectiveness of Imagined Imagery in Meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
flyingOx

Re: Effectiveness of Imagined Imagery in Meditation

Post by flyingOx »

clw_uk wrote: You can believe me or not, its up to you, but i dont hate you and none of my previous posts were written with hate or anger as an intention. I cant speak for others but i assume the same
I have not sensed hate coming from you, but I have from others. I do not mind being corrected as long as it is being done with love behind it. I DO know when it is hate being sent my way, though. I may have not been sure of many things in my life, but I do have a good sense of discernment.
One is encouraged to seek the truth, but be warned if you ever find it, you will be treated as blasphemous.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

I have not sensed hate coming from you, but I have from others. I do not mind being corrected as long as it is being done with love behind it. I DO know when it is hate being sent my way, though. I may have not been sure of many things in my life, but I do have a good sense of discernment.

It may seem that way but you can never know a persons actual intention, even more so when its on the internet

Besides even if they are doing as you said, being angry with them is like holding onto a hot coal and trying to throw it at the person you are angry at, in the end the only person who truly gets burned is yourself

kindness, compassion, patience, equanimity, joy and understanding are important :)
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

There are no difficult people in reality, the difficulty arises in the mind
flyingOx

Post by flyingOx »

clw_uk wrote:

It may seem that way but you can never know a persons actual intention, even more so when its on the internet

Besides even if they are doing as you said, being angry with them is like holding onto a hot coal and trying to throw it at the person you are angry at, in the end the only person who truly gets burned is yourself

kindness, compassion, patience, equanimity, joy and understanding are important :)
Yes, I know.
One is encouraged to seek the truth, but be warned if you ever find it, you will be treated as blasphemous.
flyingOx

Post by flyingOx »

clw_uk wrote:There are no difficult people in reality, the difficulty arises in the mind
You can say that about everything, though. If everything is really nothing. I'm having difficulty understanding why anything really matters, and this is why I joke so much. It just seems like this whole big universe is just one big joke.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

flyingOx wrote:
clw_uk wrote:There are no difficult people in reality, the difficulty arises in the mind
You can say that about everything, though. If everything is really nothing. I'm having difficulty understanding why anything really matters, and this is why I joke so much. It just seems like this whole big universe is just one big joke.

No one said everything is nothing, thats nihilism

Anatta just means "not-self" it doesnt mean nothingness. Ending dukkha is what matters, for "our selves" and others

Will try to explain more tomorow, have to go to bed now its nearly midnight here :shock:

all the best
flyingOx

Post by flyingOx »

Alright.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

What you are describing is all interesting stuff, but like anything that arises in meditation, it is stuff - all of it - to let go.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
flyingOx

Post by flyingOx »

clw_uk wrote:
flyingOx wrote: I see. But if one actually DOES see the root of a hindrance, is it not permissable to also imagine them being put out as with water?

The problem with imagining it is that your using conditioned thought and are just thinking about it not experiencing and seeing it via mindfulness and concentration to get insight

for a basic example, i can think about anatta and imagine various things to conceptualize it but I still dont actually know or see it

metta
So what makes the root of the hindrance actually be extinguished? I thought nibbana means to extinguish? Is just being mindful and concentrated on the root of the hindrance enough to make it vanish? How long does one have to keep concentrating on it? What if one has to stay concentrated on it a whole lifetime because it is so strong?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

flyingOx wrote:te]

So what makes the root of the hindrance actually be extinguished?
Seeing, experiencing, it conditioned, interdependent nature.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
flyingOx

Post by flyingOx »

tiltbillings wrote:What you are describing is all interesting stuff, but like anything that arises in meditation, it is stuff - all of it - to let go.
Look! I'm trying to get an understanding of this. Why do you seem to have the need to keep trying to push the buttons of my unresolved hindrances, anyway? If I let just anyone and everyone do whatever the heck they wanted to try and purify me, I would never get any rest. I will deal with the pertinent hindrances at the correct time. It is not up to you. Besides, if letting go was all that was necessary, I wouldn't have been confused about whether there was really enlightenment or not, which I'm beginning to think is just a big hoax. I'm beginning to think that everyone is really just the same, some with the higher states of jhana along with the higher non-material states. I'm not so sure there is such a thing as the ultimate awakening anymore, especially if what you realize when you get there is just nothingness, which is what people have been telling me ever since my experiences prior to coming to Dhamma Wheel. I probably should have left well enough alone and stuck to what I had. Now, I am experiencing old hindrances that I thought had already been extinguished. It sucks!
flyingOx

Post by flyingOx »

tiltbillings wrote:
flyingOx wrote:te]

So what makes the root of the hindrance actually be extinguished?
Seeing, experiencing, it conditioned, interdependent nature.
I do, but with some hindrances that apparently isn't enough, because some seem to leave, but they never really do. They just get silenced for a time.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Then you really have not penetrated to the core of the interdependent nature of what you are seeing. You cannot force it.

flyingOx

Post by flyingOx »

tiltbillings wrote:Then you really have not penetrated to the core of the interdependent nature of what you are seeing. You cannot force it.
I have tried not forcing it, but it takes for ever. How long does one sit there and tunnel into it? I'm beginning to think that all of this stuff is just a giant head game.

Look what you have given me. You have given me extremely confusing, foreign words with complex meanings that cannot be fully described in English, which means that even if I did try to learn Pali, I would never truly understand it the way that it was meant to be understood. I have experienced a sense of personal peace like never before, but I am constantly being told that it isn’t really worth anything. It’s just jhana. Then I achieve the base of infinite empty space, the base of infinite consciousness, the base of nothingness, and the base of neither perception nor non-perception. I am told that that isn’t enough. I am told that I still need to experience the awakening. Which is what? The extinguishing of the roots of the hindrances. I think that that is what I have done. I am told that that still isn’t enough. I am told that I still need to extinguish the roots of any and all forms of conceit. I think that I do, but then they come back. Not only that, but the other kinds of hindrances come back too. What do you expect me to think?

I think that everyone is experiencing the same thing. It’s just that some are lucky enough to fall into the right position, know the right people, or have many people look up to them and respect them. That’s the only difference that I can see. The ones who get looked up to are the ones who go around playing head games with everyone else trying to convince them that they really haven’t experienced anything important yet so that they will feel inferior, and if they don’t buy into it by submitting to the ones being manipulative and judgmental then they are reminded of how much humility that they need to cultivate.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

flyingOx wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:Then you really have not penetrated to the core of the interdependent nature of what you are seeing. You cannot force it.
I have tried not forcing it, but it takes for ever. How long does one sit there and tunnel into it? I'm beginning to think that all of this stuff is just a giant head game.
How long? It depends, but it is not a matter of tunneling into anything. It is a matter of paying attention, without choice, into whatever rises and falls in the mind/body process. These things are deeply entrenched and subtle, though when the Buddha said greed, hatred, and delusion, he meant GREED, HATRED, AND DELUSION. It is the rare person who is able to get to the root of these things in short order.
Look what you have given me. You have given me extremely confusing, foreign words with complex meanings that cannot be fully described in English, which means that even if I did try to learn Pali, I would never truly understand it the way that it was meant to be understood.
I have used no Pali words here other than vipassana, which simply means insight.
I have experienced a sense of personal peace like never before, but I am constantly being told that it isn’t really worth anything.
Just do not get attached to it. If it leaves, changes, what will you have? If you do feel pain, discomfort, unhappiness when it leaves, that pain and discomfort is just more stuff to watch as it arises and falls, as it comes and goes.

It’s just jhana. Then I achieve the base of infinite empty space, the base of infinite consciousness, the base of nothingness, and the base of neither perception nor non-perception. I am told that that isn’t enough. I am told that I still need to experience the awakening.
Same process the Buddha went trough.
Which is what? The extinguishing of the roots of the hindrances. I think that that is what I have done. I am told that that still isn’t enough. I am told that I still need to extinguish the roots of any and all forms of conceit. I think that I do, but then they come back. Not only that, but the other kinds of hindrances come back too. What do you expect me to think?
If they come back, you have not extinguished them. It takes time and effort.