Equanimity practice during or after metta practice?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Mojo

Equanimity practice during or after metta practice?

Post by Mojo »

Do you think it makes a difference?

Bhante G includes it during metta instructions he gives in Mindfulness in Plain English.
1. May I be well, happy and peaceful. May no harm come to me. May no difficulties come to me. May no problems come to me. May I always meet with success.

May I also have patience, courage,understanding, and determination to meet and overcome inevitable difficulties, problems, and failures in life.
Thanissaro Bhikkhu gives it at the end of the metta instructions he gives in With Each and Every Breath.
May I be happy. May I be free from stress and pain. May I be free from animosity, free from trouble, free from oppression. May I look after myself with ease.

All living beings are the owners of their actions, heir to their actions, born of their actions, are related through their actions, and live dependent on their actions. Whatever they do, for good or for evil, to that they will fall heir."
Mojo

Re: Equanimity practice during or after metta practice?

Post by Mojo »

I've been thinking about it, and perhaps the second part of Bhante G's metta phrase really is about compassion and not equanimity?

Thanissaro stated in his book:
Compassion is the attitude that goodwill develops when it sees people suffering or acting in ways that lead to suffering. You want them to stop suffering. Empathetic joy is the attitude that goodwill develops when it sees people happy or acting in ways that will lead to happiness. You want them to continue being happy.
So with this in mind, is adding a compassion phrase to the metta phrase beneficial? On one hand you are wishing for courage, patience, understanding, and determination - all noble qualities. On the otherhand, you are acknowledging that despite your wish to be free from difficulties, problems, and failure that you will won't. This is why I originally called it an equanimity practice. Which also seems noble, but in a way it takes away from the great feelings generated by the first phrase. Perhaps it is just tempering the first phrase. What do you think?
reflection

Re: Equanimity practice during or after metta practice?

Post by reflection »

I think equanimity arises as a result of the metta practice. Just like joy can arise spontaneously. It's all intertwined and not really that separate, also with other practices outside of the brahmaviharas. So no special need to practice it specifically. For me at least. Also, I think equanimity is mostly a result of insight and not that much of a specific practice such as metta.

As I read those instructions they are also part of metta.