[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Autonomous Breathing? - Dhamma Wheel

Autonomous Breathing?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Mojo

Autonomous Breathing?

Postby Mojo » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:55 pm

During meditation, I have always seen myself as the driver of my breath. I'm guessing this probably came about from doing yoga and using the breath as a timer for each pose. Maybe I picked the habit up even before the yoga, I'm not sure.

Anyways, I am starting to learn anapanasati and during practice today, while working on the initial steps of determining the quality of each in and out breath, it occurred to me that I was controlling my breath and therefore ultimately the quality of my breath. My breathing was no longer autonomous. I decided to try to see if I could return my breath to its autonomous state and still follow it and I think I was successful. I noticed my breathing became much more shallow and I think that it became more chesty than when I control it to be more abdominal.

So which way is the right way? It's there a right way? Should I drive my breath or just grade it from the passenger seat?

Thank you.

Mojo

convivium

Re: Autonomous Breathing?

Postby convivium » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:59 pm

if the breath becomes very subtle, you don't need to control it or breathe deeper. it's just a sign the meditation is progressing.
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php

manas

Postby manas » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:38 pm

EDIT: I'm sorry, I made a reply to this, then after this morning's meditation, thought that since my own practice keeps evolving, that means I ought to be careful about making comments that could be construed as suggestions for how one could practice, the reason being that I myself still have so much to learn, and I don't even want to take the risk that anything I said could be in error (not that even meditation masters seem to be in consensus about it, but still).

All I'm going to say is that my experience this morning seemed to be more in line with how Thanissaro Bhikkhu explains anapanasati - and that I'm going to give his writings and talks a hearty recommendation.

In peace and metta

:anjali:
Last edited by manas on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

convivium

Postby convivium » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:58 pm

to which i would reply in praise of caffeine
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php

danieLion

Postby danieLion » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:56 pm

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:14 pm

Nyorai

Postby Nyorai » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:46 am

There is no such thing as feel of breath in chesty or abdominal. Anapanasati basically is applying concentration on one sense - breath so that all five other senses are closed. Practitioners of this method should apply breath focus in daily routine like meal time etc
ImageTo become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana.
If you light a lamp for somebody, it will also brighten your path. He who experiences the unity of life sees his own Self in all beings, and all beings in his own Self.Image

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:39 am

Samma

Postby Samma » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:12 am

danieLion

Postby danieLion » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:37 am

alan...

Postby alan... » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:09 am

i struggle with this as well.

for me what happens is i get into a super deep state of meditation where everything fades but awareness of my mind, then i notice i'm not breathing! and so i try to ignore it, i still don't breathe, try to ignore, no breath, and finally, i just breathe. it's weird. not sure how to get around this.

danieLion

Postby danieLion » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:32 am

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:54 am

danieLion

Postby danieLion » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:00 am

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:27 am

Well, I haven't died in my sleep yet. *knock wood*

danieLion

Postby danieLion » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:06 am

pegembara

Postby pegembara » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:06 am

And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:14 am

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:58 pm

Thank you Dave. That makes sense to me.

Samma

Postby Samma » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:09 pm

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”