medications and meditations

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

medications and meditations

Postby K.Dhamma » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:19 pm

Ok, So, I take adderall for ADD. I feel that through meditation my concentration has gotten better. The medication helps me out tremendously outside of meditation. However I feel like I am using this medicine almost as a crutch, and sometimes it is difficult to meditate under the influence of adderall. (however sometimes it does help)

I would love to be off this medicine, honestly. But when I start thinking about how much it helps me, it makes me nervous to not be on it. But when I am on it, it makes me feel guilty because I feel that I might be able to concentrate without it.

I don't know what to do, I am torn between both worlds. Does anyone have some words of wisdom they can bestow upon me? Something in the next 40 minutes would be nice, because I have to work :-)

Thanks in advance. K.Dhamma

"Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die." -Buddha
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
K.Dhamma

Re: medications and meditations

Postby K.Dhamma » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:57 pm

bump :tongue:
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
K.Dhamma

Re: medications and meditations

Postby Ben » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:18 pm

I think its worth having a discussion with your doctor to see whether the dosage can be reduced.
But if it can't be reduced and you need to continue with the medication then continue to meditate while under medication.
Meditation isn't easy. So the difficulty you are having with the meditation may not be because you are on Adderall, however, not being on the medication may actually make meditation a whole lot more challenging.
Wishing you the best,

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Return to Theravada Meditation