YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Notice the breath - Dhamma Wheel

Notice the breath

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Caraka

Notice the breath

Postby Caraka » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:57 am

During meditation I start focus or re-focus on the breath at my nosetip. However this also lead me to breathing 'manually', in and out. It just seems difficult to reach a e.g. state where I notice there is breathing going on outside my nosetip. And when I try let go of the manual breathing, my breath seems to be shorter and shorter until I reach a state where I have to take a manual deep breath.

Maybe I just want to much ;)

I would like to hear about others experiences around this?

cooran

Re: Notice the breath

Postby cooran » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:35 pm

Hello caraka,

Have you thought of switching meditation objects occasionally? For example, if I find myself halving to 'force' breathing, I sometimes change the focus to scanning the body or do a period of metta practice.

With metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”