Meditation Experience Guidance

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Cittasanto

Re: Meditation Experience Guidance

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Marc
more talks can be found from Ajahn Sumedho in the link I gave above regarding the books, Abhiyagiri may send people to either Amaravati or Forest sangha publications though as Ajahn Sumedho was the abbot there.

but, the closest I know regarding the Buddha teaching this is passages on clear knowing, and "in the heard there is only the heard" I doubt it was actually taught directly by the Buddha in the way Ajahn Sumedho does, although just to note (not thinking you or anyone is suggesting this) that doesn't mean that it isn't useful as a tool particularly for people with tinitus.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Kamran

Re: Meditation Experience Guidance

Post by Kamran »

The great thing about nada/sound of silence is that it becomes louder the more concentration you have and provides useful feedback loop for your meditation. It is reassuring to hear the celestial sounding noise get louder as you meditate.

However, I did not find it skillful for maintaining mindfulness during the day. I had difficulty hearing the nada sound if there was noise around, like in the shower or in traffic.

Supposedly, it is possible develop this to the point where you can hear the nada sound in noisy situations.

The below book has a couple of good chapters on it including how to maintain your attention to the nada sound throughout the day.

The Law of Attention: Nada Yoga and the Way of Inner Vigilance
http://www.amazon.com/The-Law-Attention ... 1594773041" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;