masturbation what's wrong?

Some topics tend to get heated and go off track in unwholesome ways quite quickly. The "hot topics" sub-forum is a place where such topics may be moved so that each post must be manually approved by moderator before it will become visible to members.
Dhammabodhi

Re: masturbation what's wrong?

Post by Dhammabodhi »

Hi, sorry if I'm going off-topic a little here, but I have a question regarding sexual fantasies in dreams and involuntary nocturnal emissions. I'd like to know what Buddhist scriptures have said about this(if at all) for someone who is completely abstaining from the point of view of ethics and Sila, but the thing I'm more interested to know is how do monks(or anyone else who's keeping the relevant precepts) deal with it and whether there are techniques to reduce or eradicate this problem?

Generalizing the above, what about dreams with one being violent or with other unwholesome actions? Again, sorry for being :offtopic:

Thanks in advance,
Dhammabodhi
"Take rest, take rest."-S.N.Goenka
Individual

Post by Individual »

Dhammabodhi wrote:Hi, sorry if I'm going off-topic a little here, but I have a question regarding sexual fantasies in dreams and involuntary nocturnal emissions. I'd like to know what Buddhist scriptures have said about this(if at all) for someone who is completely abstaining from the point of view of ethics and Sila, but the thing I'm more interested to know is how do monks(or anyone else who's keeping the relevant precepts) deal with it and whether there are techniques to reduce or eradicate this problem?
I don't believe scriptures explicitly describe sexual fantasies or nocturnal emissions. Points-of-view are based on commentaries, which derive various implications from the suttas. I believe that traditional Theravada commentaries regard sexual fantasies in dreams and nocturnal emissions as a mildly unwholesome action that ceases to occur for an Arahant, whose mind is fully purified. Eradicating sub-conscious sexual fantasies, though, among a layperson is not a reasonable goal.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

tiltbillings wrote:His take on lay sexuality in general leave something to be desired
Pun intended?
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

Dhammabodhi wrote:I have a question regarding sexual fantasies in dreams and involuntary nocturnal emissions. I'd like to know what Buddhist scriptures have said about this(if at all) for someone who is completely abstaining from the point of view of ethics and Sila
I seem to recall there are rules in the Vinaya concerning this.
- Peter

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Peter wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:His take on lay sexuality in general leave something to be desired
Pun intended?
Of course.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

44 posts and 3 days later and the OP hasn't come by to clarify their question. Glad I didn't waste time with it. Sorry to see you fine folks getting yourselves tied in knots over what you think they might have been asking. :(
- Peter

Dhammakid

Post by Dhammakid »

I see that happening quite often on discussion boards. Oh well, nothing wrong with a good conversation.

:anjali:
Dhammakid
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Peter
Peter wrote:44 posts and 3 days later and the OP hasn't come by to clarify their question. Glad I didn't waste time with it. Sorry to see you fine folks getting yourselves tied in knots over what you think they might have been asking. :(
No knots tied or untied!
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Here's the facts:

- Masturbation is built upon Sensual desire. Good luck having a beat while considering how best to mow the lawn and hang out the washing.
- Sensual desire is a hinderance to practise.
- Kamma-Vipaka has it that a volitional action in the present will have an effect in the future. This is how habits are formed.

Nobody is going to burn in hell for having a beat, nor for having appropriate sexual relations with their partner - But it doesn't lead to Nibbana. Sensual desire is a hinderance.

"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

BlackBird wrote: - Sensual desire is a hinderance to practise.
It may be a hindrance, but that does not mean it has to hinder anything.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
puthujjana

Post by puthujjana »

Dhammabodhi wrote:Hi, sorry if I'm going off-topic a little here, but I have a question regarding sexual fantasies in dreams and involuntary nocturnal emissions. I'd like to know what Buddhist scriptures have said about this(if at all) for someone who is completely abstaining from the point of view of ethics and Sila, but the thing I'm more interested to know is how do monks(or anyone else who's keeping the relevant precepts) deal with it and whether there are techniques to reduce or eradicate this problem?
Hi Dhammabodhi,

this is the first Saṅghādisesa rule:
Intentional emission of semen, except while dreaming, entails initial and subsequent meetings of the Community.

You can read Thanissaro Bhikkhu's explanation of it in chapter five of Buddhist Monastic Code I: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... .ch05.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Once you understand anatta, then the burden of life is gone. You’ll be at peace with the world. When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness and we can truly be happy."
- Ajahn Chah
Macavity

Post by Macavity »

tiltbillings wrote:
BlackBird wrote: - Sensual desire is a hinderance to practise.
It may be a hindrance, but that does not mean it has to hinder anything.
That doesn't sound right to me. If it's a hindrance then surely by definition it must hinder something. In the Nivaranasutta, SN. v. 97, the Buddha says of the five hindrances that they are "Makers of blindness, causing lack of vision, causing lack of knowledge, detrimental to wisdom, tending to vexation, leading away from Nibbana."

I take this to mean that hindering is an intrinsic property of the hindrances. 'Makers of blindness' is what the hindrances actually are, not something they might be. 'Leading away from Nibbana' is what the hindrances actually do, not something they might do.

How do you understand the passage?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

What is the nature of a hindrance?

cooran

Post by cooran »

Exactly what do you mean by "nature"?

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

sabhava.