YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Not 'man bashing' but legitimate protest. - Dhamma Wheel

Not 'man bashing' but legitimate protest.

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Fede

Not 'man bashing' but legitimate protest.

Postby Fede » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:36 pm

"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Not 'man bashing' but legitimate protest.

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:48 pm

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Fede

Postby Fede » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:17 pm

Please, please believe me when i tell you that honestly and sincerely, i am mindful of that, and have so tried to practice it.
Why is it then, that every time i feel i am beginning to conquer my emotional aversion to the male of the species - some dominating, arrogant, heavy-handed male chauvinist comes along, scuppers my practice and spoils it all, by proving my previous sentiments and suspicions, right?
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:19 pm

_/|\_

rowboat

Postby rowboat » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:24 pm

It's an extension of patriarchy that males living within a culture of entitlement will be mostly oblivious to the voices of women who rightfully challenge its legitimacy.

Stepping Out From Behind the Wall: Acknowledging Male Privilege and Its Connecton to Violence Against Women
http://blackcoffeepoet.com/2011/09/05/s ... nst-women/
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:30 pm

_/|\_

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:33 pm

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Fede

Postby Fede » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:41 pm

Unfortunately, from my PoV it's mainly one-sided... the men i speak of specifically wouldn't know, understand or accept the Dhamma if it jumped out at them with big day-glo-orange foam rubber hands and whupped them over the head...
so it's largely a mono-lateral effort....
It's an utterly demoralising situation.

What to do, what to do..... :thinking:

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:58 pm

Kenshou

Postby Kenshou » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:14 am

Your mindset strikes me as a biased, half-blind, and caricature-like generalization which as a man I find somewhat offensive.

But on the other hand I realize that you may have had a particularly unfortunate set of experiences in this regard.

Anyhow, I absolutely recognize that women have had their share of misfortune in the past and now. And so I want to try and treat them well, in addition to everyone else. Because as has been brought up in another post, hostility will accomplish nothing but cause more of the same.

Virgo

Postby Virgo » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:26 am

Alobha

Postby Alobha » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:48 am

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:59 am

Fede,

Physical abuse is not the only one abuse that is possible, and sometimes it is not the worst one. Women can, and often do much better at other forms of abuse than man can ever do. Physical abuse is brainless and is not as harmful as emotional and financial abuse that can be done. It seems that scolding and pushing emotional buttons is something that is easier for women to do, and it often hurts more than a fist.
"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:24 am

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:48 am

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Yana

Postby Yana » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:03 am

Oh No no no....you guys i'm so sorryy...i didn't mean it to turn out like this!

please stop.. :(

Look it's so silly lets all hold hands and step back and see the bigger picture...remember..lets not get too attached with our genders...i mean we don't even exist to begin with right?!!..and we all have probably had our fair share of being both male and female in our countless past lives.

Okay Focus on the Real enemy! Delusion!
Life is preparing for Death

Sanghamitta

Postby Sanghamitta » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:07 am

Yana if you do not exist...who wrote your original post ?
Delusion results in many behaviours...including an unfair discrimination involving gender.
But I am sure the males will be delighted that you have just given them a free pass.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:21 am

Kenshou

Postby Kenshou » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:22 am

rowboat

Postby rowboat » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:45 am

It's pretty disappointing but not very surprising to see that there is so little understanding of gender issues among the men at this website. The discourse here is at the level one would expect to find within military culture.
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5

Return to “Lounge”