dhammaduta within the society

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
altar

dhammaduta within the society

Post by altar »

is such a thing possible? moreover by its nature can it be done deliberately? or must one simply relax and let it go?
Maitri

Re: dhammaduta within the society

Post by Maitri »

altar wrote:is such a thing possible? moreover by its nature can it be done deliberately? or must one simply relax and let it go?
I'm not sure I understand your question.

If we are looking to make the Dhamma available to those who are seeking, then Dhammadhuta must take place in society because that is where people live. Clearly it is done intentionally as the Buddha himself advised his disciples to teach the Dhamma. People also take inspiration from seeing the Dhamma lived by virtuous monks and laypeople.
"Upon a heap of rubbish in the road-side ditch blooms a lotus, fragrant and pleasing.
Even so, on the rubbish heap of blinded mortals the disciple of the Supremely Enlightened One shines resplendent in wisdom." Dhammapada: Pupphavagga

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/
Cormac Brown

Post by Cormac Brown »

altar wrote:is such a thing possible? moreover by its nature can it be done deliberately? or must one simply relax and let it go?
Altar, how did you learn about the Dhamma?
“I in the present who am a worthy one, rightly self-awakened, am a
teacher of action, a teacher of activity, a teacher of persistence. But the
worthless man Makkhali contradicts even me, (saying,) ‘There is no
action. There is no activity. There is no persistence.’ "
AN 3.138, trans. Ven. Thanissaro
dagon

Post by dagon »

My view is that the best way is to live your own life according to the teaching. Where an opportunity arises plant a seed. If it land in fertile soil it will grow (someone without too much dust in their eyes). Most people have had too much hard selling of religions but if your conduct is such as to attract people - make people want to be like you then there is a chance.

The person who got me back on track is a Thai lady I work with. She still refuses to discuss Buddha Dhamma with me and tells me to go and ask the monks. What she does is she lives her life as a true Buddhist - by which I mean that she follows the precepts and relates to others in accordance with the Brahma-vihara. During the "rains" she is at the Wat every day cooking for the monks and other, meditates and then clears the food after 12 distributing to anyone and every one. She works with me and is know to be both hard working and caring of everybody. When anyone shows interests she makes sure that they are invited to the Wat when there is anything happening and involves them in helping.

Earlier this year I was working with an agency nurse - we were talking about professional practise models. She said that she really like the way I did my work and the way I interacted with the residents. When she asked me about the basis of my approach I got her to open access to insight and showed her the Brahma-vihara. Her response was "this is perfect". Of course I do not know what will happen in the long term but she did tag the page.

metta
dagon
Sea Turtle

Post by Sea Turtle »

dagon wrote:
My view is that the best way is to live your own life according to the teaching. Where an opportunity arises plant a seed. If it land in fertile soil it will grow (someone without too much dust in their eyes). Most people have had too much hard selling of religions but if your conduct is such as to attract people - make people want to be like you then there is a chance.

The person who got me back on track is a Thai lady I work with. She still refuses to discuss Buddha Dhamma with me and tells me to go and ask the monks. What she does is she lives her life as a true Buddhist - by which I mean that she follows the precepts and relates to others in accordance with the Brahma-vihara. During the "rains" she is at the Wat every day cooking for the monks and other, meditates and then clears the food after 12 distributing to anyone and every one. She works with me and is know to be both hard working and caring of everybody. When anyone shows interests she makes sure that they are invited to the Wat when there is anything happening and involves them in helping.

Earlier this year I was working with an agency nurse - we were talking about professional practise models. She said that she really like the way I did my work and the way I interacted with the residents. When she asked me about the basis of my approach I got her to open access to insight and showed her the Brahma-vihara. Her response was "this is perfect". Of course I do not know what will happen in the long term but she did tag the page.

metta
dagon
Thank you for sharing the inspiring example of your colleague, Dagon. Also, the example you set for the agency nurse (and I'm sure, many others) in the workplace is uplifting to hear about.

:anjali: