Why one meal a day?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Spiny Norman

Re: Why one meal a day?

Post by Spiny Norman »

retrofuturist wrote:The notion of three meals a day is so unquestioned in modern society, yet there's no way in my mind that most people do enough activity to warrant the calorific intake that comes with three full meals, nevermind the snacks inbetween them.
I agree, and the evidence is there in peoples' waistlines. ;)
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Feathers

Post by Feathers »

Ok, I want to try the not-eating-after-noon thing. I may not even be Buddhist yet but food has been a BIG problem for me all my life, and if I could get a grip on it it would be awesome.
I am thinking of starting officially on Sunday (got friends coming for dinner Saturday evening so would be a kinda awkward time to start :p) but might try and ease into it a bit starting now. I could use some info and advice:

1) Do you think, to start with, making 2pm the cut off instead of noon would make it easier to get accustomed to? It would certainly be easier socially so I could eat lunch with friends. I could move that time back as I got more used to it (and my friends get accustomed to my weirdness :p)

2) What should I expect in the first few days? I know long term the benefits sound great, but I guess I am going to feel rough for a while, and I think I'll find it easier to push through if I'm prepared.

3) Any other tips - types of food, and in particular quick healthy meals. I'm vegetarian.

Thanks in advance for any advice and info. If I manage to actually stick to this it'll be a miracle, but I really want to give it a go.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Feathers wrote:Ok, I want to try the not-eating-after-noon thing. I may not even be Buddhist yet but food has been a BIG problem for me all my life, and if I could get a grip on it it would be awesome.
I am thinking of starting officially on Sunday (got friends coming for dinner Saturday evening so would be a kinda awkward time to start :p) but might try and ease into it a bit starting now. I could use some info and advice:

1) Do you think, to start with, making 2pm the cut off instead of noon would make it easier to get accustomed to? It would certainly be easier socially so I could eat lunch with friends. I could move that time back as I got more used to it (and my friends get accustomed to my weirdness :p)

2) What should I expect in the first few days? I know long term the benefits sound great, but I guess I am going to feel rough for a while, and I think I'll find it easier to push through if I'm prepared.

3) Any other tips - types of food, and in particular quick healthy meals. I'm vegetarian.

Thanks in advance for any advice and info. If I manage to actually stick to this it'll be a miracle, but I really want to give it a go.
I think its a mistake if you are intending to fast after mid-day as a means to address food or weight issues.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Feathers

Post by Feathers »

You don't think it would be a good way to break attachment to food, and in particular comfort eating? (sincere question, not trying to be sarcastic or anything). I'm not aiming at weight loss specifically, though obviously that would be nice.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Feathers wrote:You don't think it would be a good way to break attachment to food, and in particular comfort eating? (sincere question, not trying to be sarcastic or anything). I'm not aiming at weight loss specifically, though obviously that would be nice.
I understand where you are coming from. You need to address the root cause of the problem which is attachment, craving and to a lesser extent - aversion. If you have a strong practice foundation then adopting the eight precepts (which includes no eating after mid-day) can be very beneficial. If you don't have a strong practice then you could end up creating more problems. As you mentioned you are not yet a Buddhist then I will recommend that while you investigate Buddhadhamma to also investigate a health & wellbeing program that includes a calorie controlled, balanced and healthy diet and regular exercise. In time, your practice will complement your health and wellbeing program by directly addressing the root causes of your attachment to food and comfort eating.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Feathers

Post by Feathers »

I see what you mean, and thank you for the kind advice. I guess if for now I look into making my evening meal a very light meal (whereas currently it's my main meal) that might be a more sensible start.
I know what I need to eat to be healthier, I just . . . don't do it. Stupid I know.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Feathers wrote:I see what you mean, and thank you for the kind advice. I guess if for now I look into making my evening meal a very light meal (whereas currently it's my main meal) that might be a more sensible start.
I know what I need to eat to be healthier, I just . . . don't do it. Stupid I know.
Its not stupid. Its actually very hard to counter a lifetime of conditioning. Buddhist practice will help you unravel your conditionings. The website I mentioned earlier has some great tools too, and if you commit yourself to using the application and expending effort in exercising and changing your diet - it will give results.
Kind regrds,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Shinemate

Re: Vegan diet - and one meal a day ?

Post by Shinemate »

The only vitamins that vegans need are vitamin D and of of course vitamin B12, also 600 milligrams of calcium every day ( read here in the last two paragraphs of tips for healthy vegan diet) so I guess it doesn't matter how many meals you have every day, you just need to take some supplements that contain these vitamins and it'll be enough. Though to be honest I don't think that eating once a day can be healthy for anyone, no matter if they are vegan or not
alan

Post by alan »

I don't get the Vegan thing, but if you do it, consider taking Krill Oil supplements. Excellent source of many good things your body needs to function at peak efficiency.
Worried about killing critters? Don't be. In the time it has taken you to read this sentence, a couple million of them have been born.
In the next few seconds, they've been scooped up by giant whales somewhere in the cold seas of the Arctic. No need to ponder Kamma here.

Seriously--research it.
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

purple planet wrote:I used to be vegan now i am in a "break" of 3 months in which i ate meat - and now i want to go back to being vegan
- at the time i eat in the morning cereal with milk and for lunch vegetables with meat and then i dont eat until next morning -

My question is how to eat vegan and once or twice a day and still get all nutritional vitamins and minerals and also proteins and carbs ? and how do you do it with only one meal a day ?

Why go to such extreme as eating once per day, and vegan? You are not a monk, and whatever was the reason for monks, does not apply to you.

As for food: Eat lots of nuts and seeds (soak them for 24 hours or more), and don't forget to take coconut oil and various supplements (B12, multivitamins, omega-3s).
manas

Post by manas »

marc108 wrote:
purple planet wrote: My question is how to eat vegan and once or twice a day and still get all nutritional vitamins and minerals and also proteins and carbs ? and how do you do it with only one meal a day ?
impossible
Hi/marc
respectfully/my/friend
thats/not/true!
if/one/is/knowledgeable
about/what/nutrients/are/in/what/foods
it/is/definitely/possible
although/it/does/require
much/care/and/effort

the/only/instance/where/i/would/agree
where/it/would/be/insufficient/imo
would/be/if/ones/occupation
was/as/a/labourer
doing/physically/taxing/work/all/day
in/that/case/one/meal/a/day
wouldnt/be/enough/afaics.

metta
:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
alan

Post by alan »

manas:
Why the weird writing? It serves no purpose, and just may turn off people who actually care about this subject.

Express yourself properly, please.
Roland

Post by Roland »

alan wrote:manas:
Why the weird writing? It serves no purpose, and just may turn off people who actually care about this subject.

Keyboard Malfunction
"No tree becomes rooted and sturdy unless many a wind assails it. For by its very tossing it tightens its grip and plants its roots more securely; the fragile trees are those that have grown in a sunny valley."

--Seneca the Younger (57 BCE- 65 AD)
manas

Post by manas »

Roland wrote:
alan wrote:manas:

Keyboard
Malfunction
Thanks.Roland
for.being.both.observant.and.thoughtful

I.ought.to.be.able
to.fix.this.keyboard.problem.today
but.in.the.meantime
i.hope.that.full.stops
are.less.irritating.than.slashes

kind.regards
:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Roland

Post by Roland »

It does make it a little more readable, I think.

But either way doesn't bother me!

:buddha2:
"No tree becomes rooted and sturdy unless many a wind assails it. For by its very tossing it tightens its grip and plants its roots more securely; the fragile trees are those that have grown in a sunny valley."

--Seneca the Younger (57 BCE- 65 AD)