Urine use

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
dhammarelax

Urine use

Post by dhammarelax »

Bhante Dhammavudho explains how he uses urine as medicine (m 17)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpCXAtrG9fM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Even if the flesh & blood in my body dry up, leaving just the skin, tendons, & bones, I will use all my human firmness, human persistence and human striving. There will be no relaxing my persistence until I am the first of my generation to attain full awakening in this lifetime. ed. AN 2.5
denise

Re: Urine use

Post by denise »

thanks for posting this....enjoyed it very much :smile:
cooran

Post by cooran »

Worth a read:

Urine Therapy
http://skepdic.com/urine.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:shrug:

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

For most people most of the time, one's own urine is not likely to be harmful. However, it is not likely to be healthful or useful except for those rare occasions when one is buried beneath a building or lost at sea for a week or two. In such situations drinking one's own urine might be the difference between life and death. As a daily tonic, there are much tastier ways to introduce healthful products into one's blood stream.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
lostitude

Post by lostitude »

What this monk doesn't seem to realise (judging from the explanation he gives) is that we don't have urine in our blood... whatever is in the urine is extracted out of the blood precisely because it would be harmful if it stayed there. And there is no sugar in the urine of a healthy individual. If there is sugar it means you have diabetes...
P0sey

Post by P0sey »

I think its a skillful means used by monks .I think we onnthe other hand have access to alot of options to stay healthy , so drinking our own urine might not be some skillful whennyou got so many other powerful options.
ihrjordan

Post by ihrjordan »

There's a chance that the gold of the ancients could have actually been human urine.

It's loaded with vitamins and enzymes and it's known that the Romans used to used it to wash their clothes, as gun powder, medicine and to brush their teeth as is evidenced in this somewhat comical passage by the roman poet Catullus:

"Egnatius, because he has snow-white teeth, smiles all the time. If you’re a defendant in court, when the counsel draws tears, he smiles: if you’re in grief at the pyre of pious sons, the lone lorn mother weeping, he smiles. Whatever it is, wherever it is, whatever he’s doing, he smiles: he’s got a disease, neither polite, I would say, nor charming. So a reminder to you, from me, good Egnatius. If you were a Sabine or Tiburtine or a fat Umbrian, or plump Etruscan, or dark toothy Lanuvian, or from north of the Po, and I’ll mention my own Veronese too, or whoever else clean their teeth religiously, I’d still not want you to smile all the time: there’s nothing more foolish than foolishly smiling. Now you’re Spanish: in the country of Spain what each man pisses, he’s used to brushing his teeth and red gums with, every morning, so the fact that your teeth are so polished just shows you’re the more full of piss."

It's ingrained in our collective consciousness as westerners to look upon urine as a waste product and the idea of drinking urine seems abhorent. But urine isn't waste, it is surplus. It is the result of blood being filtered through the kidneys and is completeley sterile upon exit from the body. Bottled water is likely to posses more contaminants than urine. I regularly use it to get over sicknesses, wash my hair, and wash my face giving rise to a nice complexion and soft skin, but I'm hesitant to tell others with good reason. In today's world it's commonly used in India Ayurvedic medicine and traditional Chinese medicinal practices.

Buddhist monks were given clearance and even encouragement to utilise it; it could even be argued that Jesus prompted his followers to make use of their urine:

"Drink waters out of thine own cistern, and running waters out of thine own well. "

Proverbs 5:15

Why would we be taught to express disgust with urine? Simple. If we had access to the most powerful substance giving us great health, good complexion and numerous other benefits, how would pharmacutical companies make money? Urea (the component in urine which gives it it's power) is an ingredient found in in shampoos and mainstream medicines, so you've probably used it without even knowing it.

In extreme circumstances, people have sustatined themselves on nothing but their own urine and have been found trapped in a cave in perfect health.

This is certainly the golden elixir. The Buddha would not tell us to do things for our harm, only for our benefit; those with faith will understand this.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Is cow urine a medicine?
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... ilit=URINE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Thank you i had heard before but never tried it, is interesting, maybe i will get a try. :D :toast:
Pinetree

Post by Pinetree »

it could even be argued that Jesus prompted his followers to make use of their urine:

"Drink waters out of thine own cistern, and running waters out of thine own well. "

Proverbs 5:15
That doesn't belong to Jesus, comes from the Old Testament, at least 500 years earlier.

I found a translation that interprets this as a metaphor of wisdom coming from insight.

Also, if you read the whole chapter, it would be difficult to assume that all references to fountain, well, spring, water, refer to urine.
samseva

Post by samseva »

The body uses much energy and effort to excrete the waste products from itself. Urine and feces are filled with matter that the body does not need or matter that is toxic to the body. Every cell excretes byproducts from whatever function that cell performs; these end up in the urine or the feces.

I think it's a good idea to trust our bodies' instinct of trying to get rid of these unwanted and even toxic substances and not go and chug it back down. :smile:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I do not think body absorbs everything we eat or drink.
There are lot of waste with lot of nutriments.
That is why animal can get nutriments from eating human waste.
However there is no reason to eat or drink human waste when there are better alternatives.
samseva

Post by samseva »

SarathW wrote:I do not think body absorbs everything we eat or drink.
There are lot of waste with lot of nutriments.
That is why animal can get nutriments from eating human waste.
However there is no reason to eat or drink human waste when there are better alternatives.
It's probably better than eating dirt, but not too far off—nutrient-wise that is. I'd rather not eat at all than eat my own, someone else's or an animal's excrements. It would be highly disgusting (also maybe not even possible due to it being so disgusting) for a minute amount of nutrients.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Do not discount the value of excrement.
They can be used as medicine to cure very many deceases.
samseva

Post by samseva »

SarathW wrote:Do not discount the value of excrement.
They can be used as medicine to cure very many deceases.
No doctor is going to convince to eat my own, or even more so anyone else's, excrements!

Out of curiosity, what diseases can poo cure? I've read about transference of healthy bacterial flora, however, that happens naturally from birth and other means. Not by directly eating excrements.