Beginning yoga?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Joshua

Beginning yoga?

Post by Joshua »

I am interested in beginning a routine yoga practice, and would appreciate any advice about where to start. If I can, I would like to stay away from the "watered down" westernized yoga often seen on tv and in magazines. I would like something a bit more authentic.
Are there any books or videos that members here have found especially useful in this regard?

Thank you
SarathW

Re: Beginning yoga?

Post by SarathW »

Buddhist do not practice Yoga, generally. (Yoga is a Hindu practice)
I practice Yoga as a form of exercise only.
Buddhist practice meditation.
:)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Azramin

Post by Azramin »

I read "The Lost Teachings of Yoga" by Georg Fruestain mid last year and found it really useful.

It's somewhat critical of Westernised yoga, but at the same time well informed on this stance.

What the book outlines in great useful detail are all the different types of yoga and what their objectives are.

I'd love to find something non-westernised as well. All these ancient wisdoms have something to teach us and in the vast majority of cases have similar objectives.

People love to argue semantics and state why this thing isn't that and how they differ. In my life I've found if you leave your prejudices behind, transcend the subtle differences in approach, you can learn an immense amount.
Truth doesn't require belief in order to be true. Only untruth relies on faith to survive.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Joshua wrote:I am interested in beginning a routine yoga practice, and would appreciate any advice about where to start. If I can, I would like to stay away from the "watered down" westernized yoga often seen on tv and in magazines. I would like something a bit more authentic.
Are there any books or videos that members here have found especially useful in this regard?

Thank you
I'm generally in favour of authenticity but in this case it doesn't give you much benefit. As Sarath said, doing it purely for exercise is great but as Buddhists we have meditation - and the biggest difference between westernised (hatha) yoga and 'more authentic' forms is that the westernised versions have dropped the most specifically (Hindu) religious aspects.
I suggest you read a bit more about the tradition, especially raja yoga e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;āja_yoga or http://yoga108.org/pages/show/56-raja-yoga-introduction" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You will realise that Buddhism offers its own versions of seven of the eight 'limbs' and that asana - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asana" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - (the other one) by itself is pretty close to modern hatha yoga.

:namaste:
Kim
Joshua

Post by Joshua »

Thank you for the replies.
I should clear a few things up.
Buddhist do not practice Yoga, generally. (Yoga is a Hindu practice)
I practice Yoga as a form of exercise only.
Buddhist practice meditation.
I am aware of yoga's cultural (hindu) roots, and that is not where my interest lies. I am not looking to yoga for my spiritual well being. I would enjoy as support for my physical well being only.
I read "The Lost Teachings of Yoga" by Georg Fruestain mid last year and found it really useful.
I suggest you read a bit more about the tradition
I admit I am ignorant about much of the yoga tradition. I will continue to examine it.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I've heard people say good things about this website: http://www.aypsite.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thisperson

Post by Thisperson »

Joshua wrote:I am interested in beginning a routine yoga practice, and would appreciate any advice about where to start. If I can, I would like to stay away from the "watered down" westernized yoga often seen on tv and in magazines. I would like something a bit more authentic.

Thank you
I started my practice by using the hatha yoga book "Light On Yoga" by BKS Iyengar.
http://www.amazon.com/Light-Yoga-B-K-Iy ... ht+on+yoga

If you are looking more for ashtanga yoga then something by Sri K Pattabhi Jois would be a good direction to go.
Ahern = Element

Post by Ahern = Element »

Thisperson wrote:

Thank you
I started my practice by using the hatha yoga book "Light On Yoga" by BKS Iyengar.

If you are looking more for ashtanga yoga then something by Sri K Pattabhi Jois would be a good direction to go.
I personally would not recommend the above schools of yoga if interested in Buddhism because the above forms of yoga (Iyengar & Pattabhi Jois) can simply be too vigorous & can result in damage or distortion to the natural flow of the breath (prana). These are 'Westernised' forms of yoga that treat yoga like gymnastics. On page 44 of the old Light on Yoga, BKS Iyengar makes it very clear how misuse of the breath (prana) can cause harm to the body & nervous system. My advice is if you are interested in beginning a routine yoga practice, consider a method that is relatively gentle. Some salutations to the sun and a basic (say Sivananda) routine is enough. There is no need to do strenuous standing, standing twisting and arm balancing postures because these use strong & abnormal use of the breath. It is OK to vigorously use the breathing when running or playing sport because the whole body is moving but to use the breath vigorously when hold a static pose is unwise. A goal of Buddhism practise is to calm the breathing and reach jhana and distortions of the breathing or distortions of the mind-body-breath-relationship can be a hindrance to this. All the best.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Joshua wrote:I would enjoy as support for my physical well being only.
I do Bikram Yoga - it's very good for physical well-being.

It's certainly not wishy-washy...

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Thisperson

Post by Thisperson »

Ahern wrote:
Thisperson wrote:

Thank you

I personally would not recommend the above schools of yoga if interested in Buddhism because the above forms of yoga (Iyengar & Pattabhi Jois) can simply be too vigorous & can result in damage or distortion to the natural flow of the breath (prana). These are 'Westernised' forms of yoga that treat yoga like gymnastics. On page 44 of the old Light on Yoga, BKS Iyengar makes it very clear how misuse of the breath (prana) can cause harm to the body & nervous system. My advice is if you are interested in beginning a routine yoga practice, consider a method that is relatively gentle. Some salutations to the sun and a basic (say Sivananda) routine is enough. There is no need to do strenuous standing, standing twisting and arm balancing postures because these use strong & abnormal use of the breath. It is OK to vigorously use the breathing when running or playing sport because the whole body is moving but to use the breath vigorously when hold a static pose is unwise. A goal of Buddhism practise is to calm the breathing and reach jhana and distortions of the breathing or distortions of the mind-body-breath-relationship can be a hindrance to this. All the best.
Heh, those asanas that you linked are the same kind that Iyengar recommended for beginners...
cobwith

Post by cobwith »

Joshua wrote:I would like something a bit more authentic.
Thank you
I had done once, for my own use, a literal translation of Pada I of Patanjali's aphorisms (Raja Yoga).
https://justpaste.it/k29q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think this is what can be best related to a Buddhist practice.

As far as hatha (purely physical) yoga is concerned, B.K.S. Iyengar is ok if you stop when hurting in the long run on a particular asana.
Good asanas for energy are (check on internet - Iyengar pictures https://justpaste.it/k2ab" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;):
Utthita Trikonasana
Utthita Parsvakonasana
Virabhadrasana
practiced against a wall &
Salamba Sarvangasana (a must - not during menstruation says Iyengar))
"the greatest boons confered on humanity by our greatest sages" Iyengar.

This is my daily routine that is enough to have you start a nice balanced day.

I also add, sometimes:
Parsvottanasana
Padangusthasana
Uttanasana
Urdhva Dhanurasana
Maha Mudra
Paschimottanasana
Savasana

All of the above are good "energy" asanas. But some are hurting me. I am 58 now.
Sā me dhammamadesesi,
khandhāyatanadhātuyo
Thig 5.8
Thibetanus

Post by Thibetanus »

I do yoga every day, and I used "Light on Yoga" book, at the end of which they have sample learning schedules. I stopped progressing after learning all the standing poses, and it feels like a very nice way to keep the body fit (I have a bad back from my violin playing, so meditation used to aggravate the pain, but yoga seems to keep my back and joints nice and healthy).

It's Iyengar yoga, and I would suggest you take some classes with Iyengar teachers to make sure you don't injure yourself. But once you learn the basics, it's a nice way to maintain your physical wellbeing.

Metta :)
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Thibetanus wrote:I do yoga every day, and I used "Light on Yoga" book, at the end of which they have sample learning schedules. I stopped progressing after learning all the standing poses, and it feels like a very nice way to keep the body fit
Same here. I learned Iyengar's standing postures over twenty years ago and they, together with long walks and the 11-minute-a-day Royal Canadian Air Force Exercise Plan, taught to me by a Canadian bhikkhu, have been my sole form of exercise ever since.

Thanks to the Iyengar routine I've been entirely free of back troubles throughout this time, while the RCAF workout leaves me fit and agile enough to pilot a CF-18 Hornet fighter jet or almost anything else in the Canadian aerial armoury (not that I'd actually want to do this, but if I did the Canadians would judge me fit enough for it).
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
cooran

Post by cooran »

Having started Yoga only a few years ago in middle-age, I chose Yin Yoga which is gentle and holds poses for longer than many other types of yoga:

http://www.yinyoga.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Thibetanus

Post by Thibetanus »

Dhammanando wrote: Same here. I learned Iyengar's standing postures over twenty years ago and they, together with long walks and the 11-minute-a-day Royal Canadian Air Force Exercise Plan, taught to me by a Canadian bhikkhu, have been my sole form of exercise ever since.

Thanks to the Iyengar routine I've been entirely free of back troubles throughout this time, while the RCAF workout leaves me fit and agile enough to pilot a CF-18 Hornet fighter jet or almost anything else in the Canadian aerial armoury (not that I'd actually want to do this, but if I did the Canadians would judge me fit enough for it).
Cool, just checked out the link for Royal Canadian Air Force Exercise Plan, will give it a try. Thanks!

Metta.