The Dangers of Eating Late at Night

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

The doctor's take-home message is not to eat any more at least three hours before going to bed. In my experience, eating late at night and going to bed on a full stomach is uncomfortable, the quality of sleep isn't is good, and waking up in the middle of the night is more likely. It probably has something to do with the body's conflict between going into a passive sleep mode vs. an active digestive mode. So it sounds like good advice to me.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Thibetanus

Re: The Dangers of Eating Late at Night

Post by Thibetanus »

I agree with this! Going a step further, skipping dinner entirely makes for a very restful night, and a comfortable stomach for me in the morning! Also, meditation before going to bed is easier too on an empty stomach :)

Metta
robdog

Post by robdog »

In the week i usually do not eat after midday. I decided to try it just to see how it felt and i actually prefer to do this now. I have a decent breakfast and largish lunch then that's it. I generally feel great at bedtime where as in the past i would eat late and would sometimes suffer.
robertk

Post by robertk »

it's good but hard to do.

Anyway I only had a salad for a late night snack last night.
It had a lot of tomatoes and a few croutons sprinkled with cheese..

Actually it was really one big crouton covered with tomato sauce and dripping in cheese.

Fine it was a pizza.
I ate pizza.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

If there is a will,
There is a way!

:twothumbsup:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

robertk wrote:it's good but hard to do.

Anyway I only had a salad for a late night snack last night.
It had a lot of tomatoes and a few croutons sprinkled with cheese..

Actually it was really one big crouton covered with tomato sauce and dripping in cheese.

Fine it was a pizza.
I ate pizza.
:rofl: :thumbsup:
joelmarru

Post by joelmarru »

My opinion is you eat whatever you like but don't forget a little walk of 40 step after taking either breakfast or lunch or dinner, and I hope it will never harmful you..
robertk

Post by robertk »

I try to make up by doing exercise.
image.jpg
image.jpg (79.14 KiB) Viewed 10864 times
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

robertk wrote:I try to make up by doing exercise.
Then you will certainly find this advice useful:
I thought I would let you, my friends, in on a little secret I've found for building my arm and shoulder muscles. You might wish to adopt this regimen. 3 days a week works well!

I started out by standing outside the house with a 5 pound potato sack in each hand extending my arms straight out to my sides and holding them there as long as I could.

After a few weeks I moved up to 10 pound potato sacks, then 50 pound potato sacks and finally I got to where I could lift a 100 pound potato sack in each hand and hold my arms straight out for more than a full minute!

Next, I started putting a few potatoes in the sacks, but I would caution you not to overdo it at this level!
Koniec12

Post by Koniec12 »

What about situation where I work during the night and I eat after work before going to sleep? What should I do?
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Koniec12 wrote:What about situation where I work during the night and I eat after work before going to sleep? What should I do?
I think the same principals apply. Try not to eat shortly before bed. Eat when you awake and before work, then have a late night/early morning lunch.

I've had plenty of grave yard shifts in life and this worked fine for me.
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

What do animals do in nature? A lion can eat a huge meal and then go sleep. Same with babies.

I think that going to bed hungry, for some people, is worse then going full. I find "wait 3 hours" to be unpractical, unless one is a monk and has to follow vinaya rules. I almost always have the biggest meal in the evening and try, just in case, to wait at least 30 minutes after eating 2 pounds of food.

A week or so ago, at supper, I ate half a full chicken (at least a pound), some other stuff. Then I had to carry groceries from the car. ~35 minutes after a meal I went to bed with no problem.
lostitude

Post by lostitude »

In my opinion this doctor's advice is useful for people who have reflux issues. This is not everyone's case however. Some people in my family have it and need a low-fat dinner with little fluid before going to bed. I personally never have that issue, no matter how huge my dinner is. What is a common issue for most people however (but again, not everyone) is staring at the ceiling in the dark because digestion is in full swing.
So I think it's good advice, but if it is impractical because of your work or other things, it is not the end of the world if you don't apply it and feel fine.
GreatShield

Post by GreatShield »

Eating a full meal late at night too makes me uncomfortable. I have never felt comfortable lying down with a full stomach. :thinking:

Some other health forums I've visited have also mentioned that eating after dinner can disrupt your metabolism speeds for up to 18 hours. If you are attempting to be fit and well, eating later in the day is not a great idea.
Healthy encounters my friend. :namaste: