Mindfulness and Eating

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
sattva

Mindfulness and Eating

Post by sattva »

Even though I have made some progress over the last few year, I have decided that I want to become more mindful about eating and have come across three books written from a Buddhist perspective on the subject.

One my teacher told me about:
Mindful Eating: A Guide to Rediscovering a Healthy and Joyful Relationship with Food by by Jan Chozen Bays.
The other two are:
Eating the Moment: 141 Mindful Practices to Overcome Overeating One Meal at a Time by Pavel Georgievich Somov and
Savor: Mindful Eating, Mindful Life by Thich Nhat Hanh and Lilian Cheung.

Has anyone read any of these books or read any others that they found helpful?
http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622
Mkoll

Re: Mindfulness and Eating

Post by Mkoll »

This is obviously meant for a very serious renunciate but this sutta comes to my mind when this subject is broached. It doesn't sound like you'd want to take this approach just yet but I offer it as...food for thought. :mrgreen:
SN 12.63 wrote:At Savatthi... "There are these four nutriments for the maintenance of beings who have come into being or for the support of those in search of a place to be born. Which four? Physical food, gross or refined; contact as the second, intellectual intention the third, and consciousness the fourth. These are the four nutriments for the maintenance of beings who have come into being or for the support of those in search of a place to be born.

"And how is physical food to be regarded? Suppose a couple, husband & wife, taking meager provisions, were to travel through a desert. With them would be their only baby son, dear & appealing. Then the meager provisions of the couple going through the desert would be used up & depleted while there was still a stretch of the desert yet to be crossed. The thought would occur to them, 'Our meager provisions are used up & depleted while there is still a stretch of this desert yet to be crossed. What if we were to kill this only baby son of ours, dear & appealing, and make dried meat & jerky. That way — chewing on the flesh of our son — at least the two of us would make it through this desert. Otherwise, all three of us would perish.' So they would kill their only baby son, loved & endearing, and make dried meat & jerky. Chewing on the flesh of their son, they would make it through the desert. While eating the flesh of their only son, they would beat their breasts, [crying,] 'Where have you gone, our only baby son? Where have you gone, our only baby son?' Now what do you think, monks: Would that couple eat that food playfully or for intoxication, or for putting on bulk, or for beautification?"

"No, lord."

"Wouldn't they eat that food simply for the sake of making it through that desert?"

"Yes, lord."

"In the same way, I tell you, is the nutriment of physical food to be regarded. When physical food is comprehended, passion for the five strings of sensuality is comprehended. When passion for the five strings of sensuality is comprehended, there is no fetter bound by which a disciple of the noble ones would come back again to this world.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
culaavuso

Post by culaavuso »

MN 2: Sabbāsava Sutta wrote: And what are the fermentations to be abandoned by using?
Reflecting appropriately, he uses almsfood, not playfully, nor for intoxication, nor for putting on bulk, nor for beautification; but simply for the survival & continuance of this body, for ending its afflictions, for the support of the holy life, thinking, 'Thus will I destroy old feelings [of hunger] and not create new feelings [from overeating]. I will maintain myself, be blameless, & live in comfort.'
fig tree

Post by fig tree »

Hi,

I haven't read any of the things you mentioned, sattva; from the authors I would expect them to be decent, though.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .olen.html

I don't know anything about the original term translated as "bucketful of food" but I find that an amusing way to describe his meal.

It seems very basic and simple enough, although that doesn't keep it from also being difficult. Hope your next meal, whatever it is, is a good, judiciously chosen one. :smile:

Fig Tree
sattva

Post by sattva »

Thanks Mkoll, culaavuso and fig for your replies. :anjali:

Funny thing, figgy, I read your reply right after I had been listening to a talk on that subject. Larry Rosenberg did a three part series on the story. I listened to part of one and will listen to all of them when I have a opportunity to do so. Here is a link to the first one.
http://dharmaseed.org/teacher/106/talk/6513/
http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622