Foods for Anxiety

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Ben

Re: Foods for Anxiety

Post by Ben »

Jhana4 wrote:
dagon wrote:jhana$ said
I'm sorry. I have no intention of being a contrarian, but that is out of date information. I've had an interest in these issues for decades.
OK, no problems - so you say that this is out of date and you have better information - please give us that information with references. I am open to learn from proven sources and many people are interested in this subject.

We are all entitled to our own opinions - but we are not entitled to our own "facts'. This is more so the case when what we write can affect the lives of other people.

metta
paul
No disrespect Paul, but I have little faith in an exchange of citations on the internet. People just dispute the validity of the sources of the citations they do not like. More honestly, I am too tired and do not care enough to look up where I read them. That isn't disrespect, just an honest answer.
"A claim made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence"
- Christopher Hitchens.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

greggorious wrote:I take a couple of supplements for more anxiety, Chamomile and magnesium, both are quite mild but I can't take valerian are anything stronger cos it just makes me depressed.
What foods are good for the nervous system? I'm putting together a mild exercise regime and not to mention meditation too.

Any thoughts would be most welcome.
The true cause of anxiety is akusala citta.

Kevin
Still Searching

Post by Still Searching »

Well, I know my answers offend you or aren't very helpful but suffer from anxiety.

I stay away from caffeine and take Kalm tablets.
I also drink chamomile tea.
Another mothed I used was the paper bag thing.

Unfortunately, panic attacks can last a long while :cry: but they do disappear eventually! :smile:
"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." ~ Siddhārtha, Gautama Buddha
Jones

Post by Jones »

A happy shopping list could contain
Flaxseed capsule supplements from the healthstore (Linseed) :candle:
Bananas
Figs and dried figs
Cashews
Grapefruits most days
Oranges
Blueberries
Rice
Potatoes
Lentils
Chickpeas
Peanuts
Lemons
Red Grape Juice
Walnuts
Spices, onions, garlic, curry.
Oatmeal and ground Cashews
You can see where this is going?
And plenty of the Good Dhamma, sharing, good will, compassion, altruistic joy, equanimity, and more metta and kindness. :candle:
With Metta.
Jones

Post by Jones »

Food is in dire need here-
§ You can donate to Bhante Samahita

http://what-buddha-said.net/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And

http://www.buddhistglobalrelief.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:group: :buddha1: :buddha2: :anjali:
ihrjordan

Post by ihrjordan »

The best food to reduce anxiety is to not eat after 12, take it easy on the base entertainments, drastically reduce all sexual activity and sleep on the floor so as to prevent over sleeping.

In my case this has certainly been true, the extra precepts for "the meditator" allow your mind to remain in a state of calm. You'll come to find that it doesn't have to do so much with food as it does with driving your mind crazy. On the other hand, I assume it wouldn't hurt to stick with "natural foods" like fruits, vegatables, meat, fish, nuts etc. Stay away from alcohol and other drugs (These are probably the leading cause of crazyness) stay away from refined foods as well as deep fried and poof anxiety gone.
samseva

Post by samseva »

In the human body, sodium acts as a contractor and potassium as a relaxer. Sadly for most eating a regular North American diet, we get high amounts of sodium and very little potassium.

Foods to reduce anxiety would be of two kinds, foods high in potassium and foods high in magnesium—which is also a mineral that relaxes. For potassium, all vegetables are abundant in this mineral, especially leafy greens. As for magnesium, which is much harder to come by, it is found in decent amounts in buckwheat, leafy greens, oats, avocados, black molasses, dairy, as well as other sources.
befriend

Post by befriend »

traditional Chinese medicine or acupuncture teaches that certain foods help different organs, I suggest you see an acupuncturist and tell them your symptoms they will give you a diet tailored to your problems its helped me with my anxiety. metta befriend
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.