Foods that cause diarrhea

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
starter

Foods that cause diarrhea

Post by starter »

Greetings!

Do you know that the following fruits may cause diarrhea?

1. Fresh fruits:
1) Apricot: eating a small fresh apricot immediately cause diarrhea in some people, especially when eating with a prune.
2) Berries: should be dry and firm and eaten within a few days of purchase, yet any moisture may cause mold and spoilage and increase your risk of diarrhea if eaten. Wild berries also may cause diarrhea.
3) Melons: may increase diarrhea in some people.

I’ve found out that cut, prepared fresh fruits (including pineapple) from the supermarkets can cause diarrhea sometimes.

2. Dried fruits: dried prunes, raisins, dates, figs, apricots, and etc. may cause or exacerbate diarrhea. Many dried fruits are preserved with sulfites or sulfur dioxide, which prevents discoloration and growth of mold and other microorganisms. Yet sulfur dioxide may cause diarrhea in sulfite sensitive people.

Try and find out which fresh/dried fruits cause diarrhea, and then avoid them.

“Diarrhea may cause dehydration, so drink at least 8 to 10 glasses of fluids to replace any lost fluids. These fluids could be water, green tea, vegetable broth or miso soup. Talk with your doctor if your diarrhea lasts more than two days.”

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/33121 ... z2ake5OBrM

Metta to all!
starter

Re: Foods that cause diarrhea

Post by starter »

It's strange that apples seem to also cause diarrhea, which was not the case before. Anybody knows why?

Thanks and metta!
mirco

Post by mirco »

Yeah, stop eating fruits, it's dangerous!
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

The worst diarrhoea I ever suffered was after eating an entire pack of oatcakes in one sitting. That was painful. Second to that was an entire packet of ryvita.

The solution isn't necessarily to avoid something altogether... it's often just to be more sensible. I should have foresaw the consequences of eating that much fibre in one go. Fibre isn't bad for you -- excess is.
Ben

Post by Ben »

I've actually been eating mostly fruit (dried and fresh) and nuts over the last three days without any ill effect. In fact the increase in dietary fiber/fibre consumption, from fresh and dried fruit and other sources, is linked to lower cholesterol, lower incidence of cardio-vascular disease, certain cancers and diabetes.
Diarrhoea could be from a number of different causes - it can be induced from antibiotics as well as contamination of food sources and poor hygiene - just to name a few.
Probiotic supplements are known to prevent and treat acute diarrhoea.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/prevent ... robiotics/
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
mirco

Post by mirco »

Dhamma Greetings,

apples are very healthy.
They spend a lot of vital energy and serve to protect us.
I am very grateful that universe/fate/devas (whatever) gave them to us.

I never had diarrhea caused by apples. I never had diarrhea caused by any kind of fruits. Only by infection.

My 2 cents :-)

Be Well,
Mirco
Disciple

Post by Disciple »

A good chicken curry will also do the trick :lol:
manas

Post by manas »

This hasn't been my experience, in general. I can recall eating a massive bowl of cherries once and this happening...but so what? My body was simply cleansing out crap, literally. The 'diarrhea' lasted only for as long as the bowel movements. Once all the crap was out, it stopped. And then I felt great and had more energy. I don't see a problem with that.

Fruits don't just give nutrition, they also cleanse the colon, which due to the mostly sickness-inducing diet of modern civilization, is in a less than ideal state of cleanliness, in most folks. Nothing wrong with giving the colon a bit of a cleanse.

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Manas, I agree. But I think most people will get the best results by including some whole fruit in their diet every day.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Buliwo

Post by Buliwo »

I've heart peanuts and nuts in general are good as they exercise your digestive system as they are difficult to break down.

This however could be complete nonsense.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Buliwo wrote:I've heart peanuts and nuts in general are good as they exercise your digestive system as they are difficult to break down.

This however could be complete nonsense.
So long as one does not have an allergy to nuts, they are extremely beneficial.

http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/nuts/

- Sutta Nipata 3.725