Battling Bad Science: a 'must watch' TED talk

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.

Battling Bad Science: a 'must watch' TED talk

Postby Ben » Sat May 18, 2013 11:09 pm

This is an excellent talk by Ben Goldacre on battling bad science and debunking false nutrition and pharmaceutical claims.

http://www.ted.com/talks/ben_goldacre_b ... ience.html
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Re: Battling Bad Science: a 'must watch' TED talk

Postby Modus.Ponens » Sun May 19, 2013 12:06 am

Thanks, Ben. That was a really good one.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
Modus.Ponens

Postby kmath » Sun May 19, 2013 6:07 am

Thanks for posting. Good video
kmath

Postby Kim OHara » Sun May 19, 2013 9:52 am

Thanks, Ben.
I haven't yet come across a TED talk that was less than excellent but this one was also funnier than most.

:namaste:
Kim
Kim OHara

Postby Roland » Tue May 21, 2013 2:33 pm

:thanks:
"No tree becomes rooted and sturdy unless many a wind assails it. For by its very tossing it tightens its grip and plants its roots more securely; the fragile trees are those that have grown in a sunny valley."

--Seneca the Younger (57 BCE- 65 AD)
Roland

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Tue May 21, 2013 4:47 pm

I have to disagree — it was a poor talk. The delivery was too quick, the content was trivial, and the conclusion was inconclusive.
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby imagemarie » Tue May 21, 2013 9:41 pm

+1 Bhante.

This was a disappointing talk and offered nothing new. Who needs their "science" delivered as third rate stand-up?
As to conclusions? Nationalise all phamaceutical industry and permit no profit taking. It's an old hat idea that is slow on delivery and always fails to amuse :toilet:

:anjali:
imagemarie

Postby Modus.Ponens » Tue May 21, 2013 10:51 pm

imagemarie wrote:+1 Bhante.

This was a disappointing talk and offered nothing new. Who needs their "science" delivered as third rate stand-up?
As to conclusions? Nationalise all phamaceutical industry and permit no profit taking. It's an old hat idea that is slow on delivery and always fails to amuse :toilet:

:anjali:

YES!!!! Why can't people get that into their heads?! Pharmaceutical companies do (many times bogus) research, building on government fund research, which does all the work. 100 000 dollars a year to treat only one person with a specific disease with a daily pill??? It's outrageous that taxpayer's money goes to these people.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
Modus.Ponens

Postby K.Dhamma » Fri May 24, 2013 3:15 pm

I think it's 50/50. Although he makes some very good points, none of the points were really that groundbreaking. I think this information is things that most people should know, but many overlook because they WANT to believe some of this stuff works.

Delivery was wayyy to fast. But I do give him props for effort.
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
K.Dhamma

Return to Wellness, Diet & Fitness