Preparatory stretches for Lotus / sitting

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.

Preparatory stretches for Lotus / sitting

Postby manas » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:10 am

Hi everyone

I find this video to be very thorough and informative. Even if you only use half-lotus, I think these simple stretches could help. The instructor even warns viewers not to push too far, unlike some other yoga videos I've seen:

:anjali:
manas

Re: Preparatory stretches for Lotus / sitting

Postby LonesomeYogurt » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:31 am

That was really helpful, I'll definitely put that into my routine. Thanks for the post!
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
LonesomeYogurt

Postby James the Giant » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:52 am

Thanks for the video!
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
James the Giant

Postby Coyote » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:46 am

Thanks! I've been trying to sit half-lotus, so this should help with my legs not falling asleep.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Coyote

Postby Modus.Ponens » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:29 pm

Thanks! :smile:
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
Modus.Ponens

Postby manas » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:41 pm

Even with these exercises, due to the nature of my knees in this current birth, I ought not to do full lotus, but must content myself with half lotus. What I hope to get from them is the ability to sit in half lotus twice a day rather than just once. In the morning, there's no pain or problems in sitting, over an hour even. But if I try to do it again that evening, my right knee lets me know immediately that I ought to rest it from that posture.

I'm glad others are also finding this video helpful.

_/I\_
manas

Postby SarathW » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:39 pm

Thanks.
Great video. :meditate:
SarathW

Postby convivium » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:41 pm

it would take about a decade of twice daily stretching (two minutes each pose without forcing) for me to get into full lotus. i've been at it for about three months.
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
convivium

Postby James the Giant » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:57 pm

convivium wrote:it would take about a decade of twice daily stretching (two minutes each pose without forcing) for me to get into full lotus. i've been at it for about three months.

A decade! That's good, I've got about 50 years of life left I reckon, so ten years from now I'll be able to do full lotus for the final 40. :twothumbsup:
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
James the Giant

Postby Justsit » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:17 am

Here's another set of prep exercises for lotus. Helps if you have some yoga background!
These really work if you do them once or twice a day.

Justsit

Postby convivium » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:24 pm

i'm realizing the reason mostly asians, girls and hippies can do this is because they don't have muscle. :juggling:
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
convivium

Postby Justsit » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:39 pm

convivium wrote:i'm realizing the reason mostly asians, girls and hippies can do this is because they don't have muscle. :juggling:

Asians, girls and hippies don't have muscle?? :shrug:
Justsit

Postby convivium » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:17 pm

most people who don't have muscle are one of those :stirthepot:
convivium

Postby Benjamin » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:15 pm

From personal experience, the wide angle forward bend is the be-all-end-all for padmasana.

"Don't believe everything you read."
-The Buddha
Benjamin

Postby Coyote » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:23 pm

^loved the video, thanks Benjamin.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Coyote

Postby Benjamin » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:11 pm

Coyote wrote:^loved the video, thanks Benjamin.

No problem. I've seen practically every video there is on it, and that one stretch always seemed to help the most.

To vary it up a little bit, Patrick (the guy in the above video) sketched this out as well:
-The Buddha
Benjamin

Postby manas » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:07 pm

DEAR MEMBERS, PLEASE DON'T PUSH YOUR KNEES TO THE POINT OF PAIN

Whatever you do, work with your body, not 'against' it; under professional guidance, gradually, step-by-step, and not pushing beyond pain.

You get one pair of knees per lifetime. Take care of them!

Furthermore: meditation doesn't *have* to be in full lotus, or even in half lotus, to be effective. There are plenty of ways to get ourselves sitting on the floor in such a way that our spine is erect yet comfortable. So while it's good to move in the direction of the lotus (if that is safe for you), don't rush it, it's not a race. Respect your body. And not everyone will (in this lifetime) even get to sit in full lotus - nor should they. Some knees (like mine) are shaped, jointed or compromised in such a way, that the most they can ever safely achieve is half-lotus.

with metta :anjali:
manas

Postby Benjamin » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:08 am

Well said , Manas. Stretching is way less effective than relaxing and waiting out the tension anyway. You should essentially be putting zero torque in your knees if you have flexible enough hips when doing lotus, though. The make-up of your knee is mostly irrelevant, unless you can't bend your knee all the way (calf against the thigh).
-The Buddha
Benjamin

Postby makarasilapin » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:22 pm

awesome guys, thanks for the videos!!!! my hips are getting a lot more flexible - much appreciated!

i was speaking with a monk a couple weeks ago and he mentioned that a lot of monks develop bad knees in their later years so it's also important to compliment flexibility with increased muscle strength - so doing lunges and squats would be beneficial in the long-term as well.
makarasilapin

Postby Benjamin » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:25 am

Absolutely. It is unnatural to develop flexibility without strength (i.e., traditional stretching), so if you are really serious about flexibility I suggest you look into isometric stretching.

A good book

A free video version of the above book on random russian website (but still buy the book if you want to really understand isometrics)
-The Buddha
Benjamin

Next

Return to Wellness, Diet & Fitness