The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.

Re: The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food

Postby Justsit » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:39 pm

beeblebrox wrote:It is naive to think that everyone would have the means (even the slightest ones) or the ability to do a basic research, to judge the information's values, or to keep up to date on things... but even then, if it was everyone's own responsibility to check up on everything themselves, especially by digging up in the way that you suggested, then there will be no time for them to do anything that is worthwhile.


The basic research is already done, all that is required is to have sufficient motivation to access it.
Many people seem to have time for video games, The Bachelor, Entertainment Tonight, net surfing (!), marathon shopping at the mall, football, or whatever. Perhaps a few minutes on one's health isn't such a burden?

It's not rocket science. Eat real food, as close to the natural form as you can get. Avoid all processed food, manipulated food, fast food, and pretty much anything that comes off a production line or in a box; eat certified organic as often as possible (not 'Natural," which is a useless term for assessing healthy foods). Drink clean water. Basic common sense healthy behaviors.

Unfortunately, many people have learned helplessness and wait for someone else to tell them what to do and come solve their problems. Or, they want a problem fixed but are not willing to change or step outside their comfort zone to fix it. As an RN, not without compassion, I've found this is just a sad fact.

Each of us is ultimately responsible for caring for our own bodies. Science and the government can only do so much, you have to do your part. Is that unreasonable?? :shrug:
Justsit
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food

Postby Justsit » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:41 pm

robertk wrote:a favorite recipe...



:jawdrop:

At first I thought that was a joke :rolleye:
Justsit
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food

Postby robertk » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:56 pm

Justsit wrote:
robertk wrote:a favorite recipe...



:jawdrop:

At first I thought that was a joke :rolleye:

never knock home cooking.
User avatar
robertk
 
Posts: 1322
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:08 am

Re: The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food

Postby Justsit » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:05 pm

robertk wrote:
Justsit wrote:
robertk wrote:a favorite recipe...



:jawdrop:

At first I thought that was a joke :rolleye:

never knock home cooking.

:rofl:
Justsit
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food

Postby Mr Man » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:42 pm

Justsit wrote:
The basic research is already done, all that is required is to have sufficient motivation to access it.
Many people seem to have time for video games, The Bachelor, Entertainment Tonight, net surfing (!), marathon shopping at the mall, football, or whatever. Perhaps a few minutes on one's health isn't such a burden?

It's not rocket science. Eat real food, as close to the natural form as you can get. Avoid all processed food, manipulated food, fast food, and pretty much anything that comes off a production line or in a box; eat certified organic as often as possible (not 'Natural," which is a useless term for assessing healthy foods). Drink clean water. Basic common sense healthy behaviors.

Unfortunately, many people have learned helplessness and wait for someone else to tell them what to do and come solve their problems. Or, they want a problem fixed but are not willing to change or step outside their comfort zone to fix it. As an RN, not without compassion, I've found this is just a sad fact.

Each of us is ultimately responsible for caring for our own bodies. Science and the government can only do so much, you have to do your part. Is that unreasonable?? :shrug:


Justsit, have you got any kids? Oh and all that other stuff that you wrote, someone taught you that.
User avatar
Mr Man
 
Posts: 1345
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food

Postby Justsit » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:58 pm

Mr Man wrote:... all that other stuff that you wrote, someone taught you that.


Of course, I read and study a variety of sources. Not sure what your point is. I'm not saying people need to come up with all the answers themselves, just that they can find the "hidden facts" in readily available sources.
Justsit
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food

Postby Mr Man » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:25 pm

Justsit wrote:
Mr Man wrote:... all that other stuff that you wrote, someone taught you that.


Of course, I read and study a variety of sources. Not sure what your point is. I'm not saying people need to come up with all the answers themselves, just that they can find the "hidden facts" in readily available sources.



My point is that we are a part of society. Our responsibility goes beyond just ourselves. We are "Science and the government".
User avatar
Mr Man
 
Posts: 1345
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food

Postby Justsit » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:47 pm

Mr Man wrote: We are "Science and the government".

How so?
Justsit
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food

Postby Mr Man » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:05 am

Because we are not independant or separate. We are a part of society.
User avatar
Mr Man
 
Posts: 1345
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food

Postby Dmytro » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:10 am

User avatar
Dmytro
 
Posts: 1161
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:24 pm
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine

Re: The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food

Postby Justsit » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:33 pm

Mr Man wrote:Because we are not independant or separate. We are a part of society.

Agreed. But I'm not sure how your statement ties in to our discussion of the need for understanding how food is manipulated.
Could you explain further?
Justsit
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food

Postby Mr Man » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:56 pm

Justsit wrote:
Mr Man wrote:Because we are not independant or separate. We are a part of society.

Agreed. But I'm not sure how your statement ties in to our discussion of the need for understanding how food is manipulated.
Could you explain further?


I think I'm going to leave it. :anjali:
User avatar
Mr Man
 
Posts: 1345
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food

Postby beeblebrox » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:07 pm

Justsit wrote:
Mr Man wrote:Because we are not independant or separate. We are a part of society.

Agreed. But I'm not sure how your statement ties in to our discussion of the need for understanding how food is manipulated.


What about sharing that kind of understanding with others (the ones who are not already in the choir)... or try to encourage others to have that understanding... or to frame the understanding in such a way which will make the manufacturers willing to develop foods that are healthy, but still appealing for their customers? All of these are beneficial actions.

They're better than just saying: "Many people don't care about this anyway... this has been my observation. I'm happy that this is not a problem for me, because I already did a lot of research and already know what is healthy for myself. Caveat Emptor."

If everyone had that kind of perspective, then the people who have no understanding will surely drag us down with them... as our options for the healthy food run out, for example. (Who would want to buy these seeds anyway... no one cares enough to grow their own garden, anymore. Let's stop manufacturing them!)

That is how the samsara works... kamma is everything. No one is an island.

:soap:

:anjali:
User avatar
beeblebrox
 
Posts: 939
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food

Postby Justsit » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:30 pm

beeblebrox wrote:
Justsit wrote:
Mr Man wrote:Because we are not independant or separate. We are a part of society.

Agreed. But I'm not sure how your statement ties in to our discussion of the need for understanding how food is manipulated.


What about sharing that kind of understanding with others (the ones who are not already in the choir)... or try to encourage others to have that understanding... or to frame the understanding in such a way which will make the manufacturers willing to develop foods that are healthy, but still appealing for their customers? All of these are beneficial actions.

They're better than just saying: "Many people don't care about this anyway... this has been my observation. I'm happy that this is not a problem for me, because I already did a lot of research and already know what is healthy for myself. Caveat Emptor."

If everyone had that kind of perspective, then the people who have no understanding will surely drag us down with them... as our options for the healthy food run out, for example. (Who would want to buy these seeds anyway... no one cares enough to grow their own garden, anymore. Let's stop manufacturing them!)

That is how the samsara works... kamma is everything. No one is an island.

:soap:

:anjali:

I'm a nurse - sharing this information is what I do!

This is not a quote - I never said this, nor did I imply it: I'm happy that this is not a problem for me, because I already did a lot of research and already know what is healthy for myself.

Think I'm done here too.
Justsit
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food

Postby beeblebrox » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:01 pm

Mr Man wrote:I think I'm going to leave it.

Justsit wrote:Think I'm done here too.


It seems like some people in here are just talking past each other... myself included. (I apologize for that.)

There doesn't seem to be any real effort in trying to listen, or to understand where the other person is trying to coming from. We seem to be only concerned in trying to push our own viewpoint, and then we drop out when it seems to fail.

There is no collaboration in trying to do anything better. I think that maybe this is the real tragedy.

:anjali:
User avatar
beeblebrox
 
Posts: 939
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food

Postby Mr Man » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:28 pm

Hi beeblebrox
Who knows maybe justsit took something from my posts and maybe I took something justsits post and maybe we both took somthing from your posts?

I dropped out because I thought I was struggling to communicate and stated it formally so as to be polite (my intention).

Appoligies for the digression and good will to all.
User avatar
Mr Man
 
Posts: 1345
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food

Postby Justsit » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:05 am

Mr Man wrote:Hi beeblebrox
Who knows maybe justsit took something from my posts and maybe I took something justsits post and maybe we both took somthing from your posts?

I dropped out because I thought I was struggling to communicate and stated it formally so as to be polite (my intention).

Appoligies for the digression and good will to all.

Ditto.
Justsit
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:41 pm

Previous

Return to Wellness, Diet & Fitness

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests