Thoughts on weightlifting

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
danieLion

Re: Thoughts on weightlifting

Post by danieLion »

corrine wrote:Lifting weights even helps with easing arthritis. The stronger we are, the less we stress our joints.

corrine :namaste:
Very true: a little pain for a lot of gain. Weight lifting (to "lactate burn") releases growth and repair hormones (and I find it enhances mindfulness of body).
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

danieLion wrote:
corrine wrote:Lifting weights even helps with easing arthritis. The stronger we are, the less we stress our joints.

Very true: a little pain for a lot of gain. Weight lifting (to "lactate burn") releases growth and repair hormones (and I find it enhances mindfulness of body).
It is the anandamides.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

It is the anandamides.
Chicks dig sesquipedalians with six-pack abs.

BB
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

tiltbillings wrote:
danieLion wrote:

It is the anandamides.
They're in the mix, yes (along with dopamine, serotonin, adrenaline, endorphins, etc...), but I had interleukin-6 (the "rot and decay" cluster of hormones that remain at low and steady levels in our blood when we sit around too much) and interleukin-10 (the "repair and growth" cluster of hormones triggered by elevating interleukin-6 in our blood through micro-traumatizing ourselves with aerobics and strengthening) in mind.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Digity wrote:What are your thoughts on weightlifting? Do you think it's bad since it can promote vanity and increase one's ego? It also involves consuming lots of food to add mass. In the past, I took up weightlifting in an attempt to improve my physique and confidence. Although, after six months of doing it I got tired of it. I wasn't overly impressed with my early results and hated focusing so much on my outer appearance.

I signed up for a gym today and plan to do cardio and weightlifting just so I can maintain my general health. Although, I wonder if after a while I'll want to start lifting seriously again and whether that's a good thing.
If you want to so something for your overall health that's something the Buddha advocated.

awimming is probably the most highly recommended sport, as it will train the whole body and all muscles, plus the endurance, and so it's exellent cardiac training, whilst sparing the joints a lot more than jogging.

Bicycling is also more recommendable than jogging, for said reasons, as being less stress on the joints and also excellent cardiac training.

Swimming, however, will also train the upper body, which is probably why you took up weightlifting to begin with.

Now that you've signed up in a gym, you should not only focus in broad shoulders and bioceps but work out the whole body, back muscles, six pack and legs as well.

I am sure they can develop a program for you.

If you don't mind an honest word, -I can't think of anything more dull than working out with machines and weights.

I'd always prefer swimming or ball games, it's so satisfying to play with others in a team, and so much fun to play "dolphin"...! ;)
alan

Post by alan »

Working out with weights does not have to be dull.
Personally, when I have two heavy dumbells over my head in an incline press, I'm very focused. You will be too. Just make the weight heavy enough. If you do that I'm certain it will focus your mind!
Digity

Post by Digity »

alan wrote:Working out with weights does not have to be dull.
Personally, when I have two heavy dumbells over my head in an incline press, I'm very focused. You will be too. Just make the weight heavy enough. If you do that I'm certain it will focus your mind!
Weightlifting is actually a good time to practice mindfulness. I did it with my pull-ups today and noticed I was actually able to do more than I expected when I was focused and mindful.
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

alan wrote:Working out with weights does not have to be dull.
Yes, when I snatch overhead 71 pound Kettlebell with one hand I have to be mindful and focused!
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

tiltbillings wrote:It is the anandamides.
Yeh. I am addicted to them and endorphins. The pump!
Annapurna wrote:If you don't mind an honest word, -I can't think of anything more dull than working out with machines and weights.
And I am addicted to lifting them. The pump is great mood elevator and pain killer - it is like a legal drug. Too bad I can't workout every day twice a day. Also too bad that occasionally my skin rips to blood belowe my fingers...

Here is awesome clip from former two time Governor of California about the pump:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMjG2s6UOaw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
manas

Post by manas »

I just walk, and quite alot...and can't afford much else. But it seems to be enough, because if I need to make a run for a train approaching the station, my body still has what it takes for a burst of speed, running down the street.

Imho, so long as the body is fit enough to undertake our given occupation properly, and is able to sit for a decent amount of time in meditation posture without harming knees or back, what more is needed? Why worry too much about something that could, in the realms of possibility, shut down and stop working any day or hour, and in any case one day, definitely will?
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
marc108

Post by marc108 »

manas wrote:Imho, so long as the body is fit enough to undertake our given occupation properly, and is able to sit for a decent amount of time in meditation posture without harming knees or back, what more is needed?
same reason we do maintenance on our cars beyond its ability to start and drive back and forth to work. the body really needs some sort of resistance exercise to function optimally. disease is reduced, pain and suffering are reduced, the brightness of the mind is increased.

in non western countries people do a lot more physical labor in daily life... most of us do nothing physical outside the gym, so the gym becomes a necessity to function normally.
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

Digity wrote:What are your thoughts on weightlifting? Do you think it's bad since it can promote vanity and increase one's ego?
Since you aren't a monastic, you are living a lay life and many, many other things can do that to you as well. I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
manas

Post by manas »

marc108 wrote:
manas wrote:Imho, so long as the body is fit enough to undertake our given occupation properly, and is able to sit for a decent amount of time in meditation posture without harming knees or back, what more is needed?
same reason we do maintenance on our cars beyond its ability to start and drive back and forth to work. the body really needs some sort of resistance exercise to function optimally. disease is reduced, pain and suffering are reduced, the brightness of the mind is increased.

in non western countries people do a lot more physical labor in daily life... most of us do nothing physical outside the gym, so the gym becomes a necessity to function normally.

I see your point, marc. Yes, the average person in the richer, industrialised world, is overly sedentary as compared with his or her ancestors.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
convivium

Post by convivium »

for westerners that meditate on the floor and aren't that flexible, doing heavy squats, deadlifts, barbell rows, shoulder presses, etc. is sketchy. there are alternatives to these things that are good enough. you have to take care of your discs and stretch enough the right way, etc. if you have a gaining idea in lifting weights, then it might problematize things as a practitioner. however, for example, if you are intimate and present and mindful while becoming weaker and more vulnerable with every rep and still continuing through it, then it could become a spiritual practice. i just know it's a way to keep me somewhat grounded, get rid of stress, get energy, etc. it's also a huge timesuck to get into it, especially if you're just trying to impress yourself.
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
alan

Post by alan »

Everyone past the age of 40 or so is getting weaker every day. You can choose to accept that, and make a joke about it, if you like.
Or you can choose the skillful option, which is to challenge your body to keep growing. Lifting weights is the best way to do that.