Replace the 5 pungent herbs

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Durt_Dawg

Replace the 5 pungent herbs

Post by Durt_Dawg »

o hai

Anyone on here has any good suggestions on how to replace the 5 pungen herbs? Cause I am keen to try some of the vegetarian/vegan pie recipes out there, but they all seem to have garlic and onion. Anyone tried to cook veg pie recipes without those nasty things?

churz
Lets b fwendssss!!!!
Khalil Bodhi

Re: Replace the 5 pungent herbs

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

I believe the avoidance of the 5 pungent herbs is found in some streams of Mahayana Buddhism. I've never seen it in the Theravada but I may be misinformed.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

Yes, it is a Mahayana teaching - derived from the eighth fascicle of the Laṇkāvatāra Sūtra.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
manas

Post by manas »

Hi Durt,

onions and garlic are well-known natural aphrodisiacs, even from ancient times. So, if one is trying to establish oneself in brahmacariya, it is good to avoid them. Asafoetida (hing) is supposed to replace them somewhat in terms of flavour (well, that's what I was told years ago, in my Hindu vegetarian cooking classes), but without the side effect of increasing sex drive.

manas :anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
marc108

Post by marc108 »

what type of pie are you trying to make?
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."