YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Higher power - Dhamma Wheel

Higher power

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
greggorious

Higher power

Postby greggorious » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:00 pm

Hi there, I'm thinking of going back into AA again as I keep relapsing back into drinking. I've tried various methods but they don't seem to last for that long.
As far as the first step goes, I don't mind admitting powerlessness over alcohol, as I see it, my ego is powerless over many things. However I don't know what to do about a higher power. In AA literature it's more than obvious they are talking about God. Plus I have spoken to Buddhists before who say there is no higher power other than your own Buddha nature, some even say that AA is completely against Buddhist principles.
I'm not suggesting you give me a higher power, I just don't know what to make of it.
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah

bodom

Re: Higher power

Postby bodom » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:11 pm

To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
http://www.ajahnchah.org/

David2

Postby David2 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:13 pm

bodom

Postby bodom » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:20 pm

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

- Ud 3.5

greggorious

Postby greggorious » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:21 pm

Thanks for your replies. I'll check out that book bodom, thanks.
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah

Justsit

Postby Justsit » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:26 pm

A Buddhist’s Non-Theist 12 Steps:

We admitted our addictive craving over alcohol, and recognized its consequences in our lives.

Came to believe that a power other than self could restore us to wholeness.

Made a decision to go for refuge to this other power as we understood it.

Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

Admitted to ourselves and another human being the exact moral nature of our past.

Became entirely ready to work at transforming ourselves.

With the assistance of others and our own firm resolve, we transformed unskillful aspects of ourselves and cultivated positive ones.

Made a list of all persons we had harmed.

Made direct amends to such people where possible, except when to do so would injure them or others. In addition, made a conscientious effort to forgive all those who harmed us.

Continue to maintain awareness of our actions and motives, and when we acted unskillfully promptly admitted it.

Engaged through the practice of meditation to improve our conscious contact with our true selves, and seeking that beyond self. Also used prayer as a means to cultivate positive attitudes and states of mind.

Having gained spiritual insight as a result of these steps, we practice these principles in all areas of our lives, and make this message available to others in need of recovery.

from http://realisticrecovery.wordpress.com/

Ferox

Postby Ferox » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:51 pm

when I looked into over eaters anonymous I came into this little debate as well.. I've read that some may use the dhamma itself as the higher power..
-just one more being treading the ancient path of Dhamma-

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:01 pm

There is an alternative to AA, called Smart Recovery, but I've seen AA work for Buddhists too.

Higher power is what is perceived to be beyond the ego, which is a great deal! You can call it your Buddha nature since you already like that notion or your emergent new and better adjusted self. You can even see it as your refuge in the Triple Gem.
_/|\_

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:42 pm

greggorious

Postby greggorious » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:10 am

Thanks for your replies :)

AvaLily

Postby AvaLily » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:22 pm

I am in AA but they don't know am Buddhist ...i have only just started to go there
i think i will check out that book too
:anjali:

Yana

Postby Yana » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:25 am

Life is preparing for Death

AvaLily

Postby AvaLily » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:26 pm

rowboat

Postby rowboat » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:48 am

greggorious there is an alternative to the 12-step Program model called Life-Ring Secular Recovery: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LifeRing_Secular_Recovery
http://lifering.org/find-meetings/
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5

danieLion

Postby danieLion » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:19 am

danieLion

Postby danieLion » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:29 am

mirco

Postby mirco » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:37 pm

"An important term for meditative absorption is samadhi. We often translate that as concentration, but that can suggest a certain stiffness. Perhaps unification is a better rendition, as samadhi means to bring together. Deep samadhi isn't at all stiff. It's a process of letting go of other things and coming to a unified experience." -

mirco

Postby mirco » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:41 pm

"An important term for meditative absorption is samadhi. We often translate that as concentration, but that can suggest a certain stiffness. Perhaps unification is a better rendition, as samadhi means to bring together. Deep samadhi isn't at all stiff. It's a process of letting go of other things and coming to a unified experience." -

Yana

Postby Yana » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:58 pm

Life is preparing for Death

bodom

Postby bodom » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:55 pm

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

- Ud 3.5

Return to “Wellness, Diet & Fitness”