samanera ordination chanting in Pali-Thai

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
tripleN

samanera ordination chanting in Pali-Thai

Post by tripleN »

hello,

i've been trawling the web for a thai translation of the novice (samanera/samaneri) ordination chanting. it's surprisingly difficult! weird, i guess most are satisfied to just memorize the Pali without knowing what it means?

if anyone has a clue where i could find this, it would be most appreciated. also good to have it in Pali-English too, if possible.

also, does anyone know what the difference is between the novice ordination procedure that starts with "okusa vandhami bhante" and that which starts with "esahang bhante"? (pls forgive any massacre of Pali phonetics)

other questions:
- do novices also have to chant the request to take dependence (nissaya)?
- do novices get a new Pali name or not necessarily?

many thanks for any information.

anumodana!
appicchato

Re: samanera ordination chanting in Pali-Thai

Post by appicchato »

Can't help you with the Thai but Pali-English maybe..http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... .app2.html

I don't know the answers to your other questions...
fabianfred

Post by fabianfred »

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/ordination.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
this is a useful one
tripleN

Post by tripleN »

Venerables, thanks very much for the responses and links. Sadhu.
yamaka

Post by yamaka »

Excuse me, ma I know where to obtain such as an audio file for the Samanera's ordination chant?

With Metta
sthong

Post by sthong »

if anyone has a clue where i could find this, it would be most appreciated. also good to have it in Pali-English too, if possible.

A person desiring ordination should first clear himself of disqualifying factors - such as certain diseases, debt, lawsuits, lack of consent on the part of his parents or the local authorities - and settle any outside responsibilities he may have concerning work, family, possessions, investments, etc. When this has been done, and the appointed day has arrived, he should go to the monastery, enter the main hall, and pay homage to the triple Gem. Then, when the members of the Sangha have assembled, he should approach them and ask for ordination as a samanera as the customary first step.
Carrying a set of the three robes on his forearms and joining his hands in the gesture of respect, he enters their gathering. Laying the robes down to his left, he takes a tray of offerings (placed on his right), presents it to the Upajjhaya (Preceptor), and prostrates himself three times with the five-point prostration: the forehead, two forearms and two knees touching the floor. Then, as he continues to kneel, he again places the robes on his forearms, joins his hands in respect and by saying the following Pali passages takes refuge in the Triple Gem and asks for the Going-Forth.

Requesting the Going-Forth (Pabbajja)
Pali Translation in English
Esaham Bhante, Sucira-Parinibbutampi, Tam Bhagavantam Saranam Gacchami, Dhammanca Bhikkhu-Sanghanca.
"Venerable Sir, I go for refuge to the Lord - though he long ago attained total Nibbana - together with the Dhamma and the Bhikkhu Sangha.
Labheyyaham Bhante, Tassa Bhagavato, Dhamma-Vinaye Pabbajjam, (Labheyyam Upasampadam).
Venerable Sir, may I obtain the Going Forth (as a samanera) in the Dhamma-Vinaya of the Lord, (may I obtain the Acceptance).
Dutiyampanam Bhante, Sucira-Parinibbutampi, Tam Bhagavantam Saranam Gacchami, Dhammanca Bhikkhu-Sanghanca.
A second time, Venerable Sir, I go for refuge to the Lord - though he long ago attained total Nibbana - together with the Dhamma and the Bhikkhu Sangha.
Labheyyaham Bhante, Tassa Bhagavato, Dhamma-Vinaye Pabbajjam, (Labheyyam Upasampadam).
Venerable Sir, may I obtain the Going Forth (as a samanera) in the Dhamma-Vinaya of the Lord, (may I obtain the Acceptance).
Tatiyampaham Bhante, Sucira-Parinibbutampi, Tam Bhagavantam Saranam Gacchami, Dhammanca Bhikkhu-Sanghanca.
A third time, Venerable Sir, I go for refuge to the Lord - though he long ago attained total Nibbana - together with the Dhamma and the Bhikkhu Sangha.
Aham Bhante Pabbajjam Yacami. Imani Kasayani Vatthani Gahetva, Pabbajetha Mam Bhante, Anukampam Upadaya.
Venerable Sir, I request the Going-Forth. Having taken these ochre robes, please give me the Going-Forth, out of compassion for me.
Dutiyampi Aham Bhante Pabbajjam Yacami. Imani Kasayani Vatthani Gahetva, Pabbajetha Mam Bhante, Anukampam Upadaya.
A second time, Venerable Sir, I request the Going-Forth. Having taken these ochre robes, please give me the Going-Forth, out of compassion for me.
Tatiyampi Aham Bhante Pabbajjam Yacami. Imani Kasayani Vatthani Gahetva, Pabbajetha Mam Bhante, Anukampam Upadaya.
A third time, Venerable Sir, I request the Going-Forth. Having taken these ochre robes, please give me the Going-Forth, out of compassion for me.

Then the Upajjhaya receives the applicant's set of robes and the applicant sits down with his legs folded to one side. Having placed the set of robes in front of himself, the Upajjhaya instructs the applicant in the Triple Gem, advises him to develop conviction in it as his refuge and reminds him of the purpose and benefits of ordination. After that, he teaches the applicant the following five basic objects of meditation and, after explaining their meaning and the repeats them after him, word by word, as follows:

Basic Objects of Meditation
Kesā Hair of the head, Lomā Hair of the body,
Nakhā Nails, Dantā Teeth,
Taco Skin, Taco Skin,
Dantā Teeth, Nakhā Nails,
Lomā Hair of the body, Kesā Hair of the head,

NOTE: Some Upajjhayas will first have the applicant repeat the Pali names of these parts and then will explain them.
The Upajjhaya then takes the amsa (the shoulder-cloth worn across the left shoulder) out of the set of robes, put it over the applicant's head, covering his left shoulder, and hands him back the rest of the robes, teaching him how they are to be worn. He then tells the applicant to go out and put them on.
The applicant carries the set of robes on his forearms as before, and with hands joined in the gesture of respect, backs out (walking on his knees) to the edge of the platform or floor-covering before standing up and walking to a suitable place where he will put on the robes. A bhikkhu leaves the assembly to help him
When he has put on the robes, he goes to another place on the ordination platform where the Acariya or Teacher is sitting waiting to give him the Going to the Three Refuges and the Ten precepts. The applicant presents the tray of offerings to the Acariya and prostrates three times before him (with the five-point prostration) and while kneeling recites the following passages:

Requesting the Refuges and Precepts

Aham Bhante Sarana-Silam Yacami. Venerable Sir, I request the Refuges and Precepts.
Dutiyampi Aham Bhante Sarana-Silam Yacami. A second time, Venerable Sir, I request the Refuges and Precepts.
Tatiyampi Aham Bhante Sarana-Silam Yacami. A third time, Venerable Sir, I request the Refuges and Precepts.
Going to the Refuges
The Acariya the recites the following passage of homage three times, after which the applicant repeats it:
"Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Samma-Sambuddhassa." (three times)
(Homage to the Exalted One, the worthy One, the Rightly Self-awakened One.)
Then the Acariya says either "Evam Vadehi" (Say this) or "Yamaham Vadami Tam Vadehi" (Say what I say). The applicant responds, "Ama Bhante" (Yes, Venerable Sir).
After telling the applicant to make a mental commitment to the Triple Gems as his refuge, the Acariya chants - with the applicant repeating, sentence by sentence - as follows:

Buddham Saranam Gacchami I go to the Buddha for refuge.
Dhammam Saranam Gacchami I go to the Dhamma for refuge.
Sangham Saranam Gacchami I go to the Sangha for refuge.
Dutiyampi Buddham Saranam Gacchami A second time, I go to the Buddha for refuge.
Dutiyampi Dhammam Saranam Gacchami A second time, I go to the Dhamma for refuge.
Dutiyampi Sangham Saranam Gacchami A second time, I go to the Sangha for refuge.
Tatiyampi Buddham Saranam Gacchami A third time, I go to the Buddha for refuge.
Tatiyampi Dhammam Saranam Gacchami A third time, I go to the Dhamma for refuge.
Tatiyampi Sangham Saranam Gacchami A third time, I go to the Sangha for refuge.
The Acariya then states, "Sarana-Gamanam Nitthitam" (This completes the Going for Refuge), to which the applicant replies, "Ama Bhante" (Yes, Venerable Sir).
Undertaking the Precepts

The Acariya informs the applicant that he is now a samanera, and so has ten precepts to study and follow. As a first step, the Acariya will recite them in Pali, with the new samanera repeating them clause by clause after him.

Panatipata Veramani, Refraining from killing living beings,
Adinnadana Veramani, Refraining from taking what is not given,
Abrahmacariya Veramani, Refraining from unchaste conduct,
Musavada Veramani, Refraining from false speech,
Sura-Meraya-Majja-Pamadatthana Veramani, Refraining from distilled and fermented intoxicants which cause carelessness,
Vikala-Bhojana Veramani, Refraining from eating at the forbidden time,
Nacca-Gita-Vadita-Visuka-Dassana Veramani, Refraining from dancing, singing, music and going to see entertainments,
Mala-Gandha-Vilepana-Dharana-Mandana-Vibhusanatthana Veramani, Refraining from wearing garlands, using perfumes and beautifying the body with cosmetics,
Uccasayana-Mahasayana Veramani, Refraining from using high or large beds,
Jatarupa-Rajata-Patiggahana Veramani, Refraining from accepting gold and silver (money):
Imani Sikkhapadani Samadiyami. I undertake these Ten Rules of Training.
(In some monasteries this last sentence is stated three times. In others, once.)

(This completes the ordination procedure for a samanera.)

also, does anyone know what the difference is between the novice ordination procedure that starts with "okusa vandhami bhante" and that which starts with "esahang bhante"? (pls forgive any massacre of Pali phonetics)
Dhammayut procedure starts with esahang which is above. The other is mahanikaya procedure.

other questions:
- do novices also have to chant the request to take dependence (nissaya)?

No novices does not chant the request for nissaya.

- do novices get a new Pali name or not necessarily?

In monk ordination procedure the new monk is given a Pali name. Given a pali name is not in procedure for novice. Some temple do give novice a Pali name.

I hope this helps

Metta
Phra Chuntawongso

Post by Phra Chuntawongso »

Hi there, the previous post is the ordination procedure in Dhammayuttka Tradition.
Here is the second one you asked about.
This is for the Maha Nikaya Tradition.

Ukasa Vandami Bhante
Sabbam Aparadham Khamata Me Bhante
Maya Katam Punnam Samina Anumoditabbam
Samina Katam Punnam Mayham Databbam
Sadhu Sadhu Anumodami
May I salute you,Venerable Sir.
may you forgive me all of my faults,Venerable Sir.
May the master rejoice in the merits I have acquired.
May the master transfer to me the merits(he has acquired)
Sadhu,Sahu.I rejoice.

In a kneeling position and with palms together,he chants the following:

Sabbam Aparadham Khamata Me Bhante(Prostrate once)
Ukasa Davaratayena Katam
Ukasa Khammami Bhante(prostrate 3 times)
May you forgive me all my faults,Venerable Sir,(committed)
through the doors(of the senses,namely body,mouth,and the mind);
may you forgive me all my faults,Venerable Sir.

In a standing position,with palms together,he chants the following:

Vandami Bhante
Sabbam Aparadham Khamatha Me Bhante
Sadhu,Sahu,Anumodami.(Prostrate 3 times)

May I salute ,Venerable Sir!
May you forgive me all my faults,Venerable Sir.
May the master transfer to me the erits(he has)acquired.
Sadhu,Sadhu.I rejoice.

In a standing position,with palms together,he chants the following:

Ukasa Vandami Bhante
Sadhu Sadhu Anomodami
Ukasa Karunnam Katva
Pabbajjam Detha Me Bhante

May I salute you,Venerable Sir!
May you forgive me all my faults.Venerable Sir.
May the master rejoice in the merits I have acquired
May the master transfer to me the merits(he has)acquired.
Sadhu,Sadhu.I rejoice.
May you Venerable Sir,out of compassion,vouchsafe me the Going-forth.

After that the candidate gets ready to receive the robes from the parents or lay supporters.
He prostrates 3 times to them and receives the robes with both hands.
He cradles the robes in the arms with the palms together facing the preceptor,puts the robes down on the left side and prostrates 3 times to the preceptor.
He then cradles back the robes in the arms with palms together.
In a kneeling position,with palms together,he chants the following:

Aham* Bhante Pabbajjam Yacami*
Dutiyampi Aham* Bhante Pabbajjam Yacami*
Tatiyampi Aham* Bhante Pabbajjam Yacami*
*The above words Aham and Yacami are in the singular tense.
In the plural they should be replaced with Mayam and Yacama

Venerable Sir, I request for the refuge and the Going-forth.
For the second time,Venerable Sir,I request for the refuge and the going forth.
For the third time,Venerable Sir,I request the refuge and the Going-forth.

Sabbadukkha ,Nissarana, Nibbana,Sacchikaranatthaya,
Imam,Kasavam Gahetva,
Pabbajetha Mam Bhante,Anukampam Upadaya
(repeat 3 times)

For the realization of Nibbana,the deliverence from all sorrow,may you,Venerable Sir,accept this yellow robe and grant me the invitation,out of compassion.

The candidate then offers the robe to the preceptor and then with palms together,
chants the following in a kneeling upright position:

Sabbadukkha,Nissarana,Nibbana,Sacchiaranatthaya,
Etam,Kasavam Datva
Pabbajetha Mam Bhante,Anukampam Upadaya
(repeat 3 times)

For the realization of Nibbana,the deliverence from all sorrow may you,Venerable Sir,accept this yellow robe and grant me the initiation,out of compassion.

The candidate listens to the preceptors instructions and repeats the following words after him,and chants the verses again:

Kesa.Loma Nakha,Danta,Taco.
Taco,Danta,Nakha,Loma,Kesa.
Kesa,Loma Naakha,Danta,Taco.

Hair of the head,hair of the body,nails,teeth,skin.
Skin,teeth,nail,hair of the body,hair of the head.
Hair of the head,hair of the body,nails,teeth,skin.

The preceptor returns the robes to the candidate who will then wear it with the monks assisting him.
After that the candidate prostrates 3 times,and in a standing position he chants the following:

Ukasa Vandami Bhante
Sadhu Sadhu Anumodami
Ukasa Karunnam Katva
Tisarenena Saha Silena Detha Me Bhante

May I salute you Venerable Sir!May you forgive me all my faults,Venerable Sir.May the master rejoice in the merits I have acquired.May the master transfer to me the merits(he has)acquired.
Sadhu,Sadhu.I rejoice.May you,Venerable Sir,out of compassion,administer to me the precepts together with the Three Refuges.

In a kneeling position,with palms together,the canditate chants the following:

Aham Bhante,Saranasilam Yacami
Dutiyampi Aham Bhante,Saranasilam Yacami
Tatiyampi Aham Bhante,Saranasilam Yacami

Venerable Sir,I request for the Refuge and the Precepts.
For the second time,Venerable Sir,I request for the Refuge and the Precepts.
For the third time,Venerable Sir,I request for the Refuge and the Precepts.

The candidate then repeats after the preceptor the following:

Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammasambhuddhasa
(3 times)

Homage to Him,The Exalted One,the Holy One,The Perfectly Enlightened One.

The preceptor then says: Yamaham Vadami Tam Vadehi(what I say you should say)

and the candidate:Amah Bhante(yes,Venerable Sir)

The preceptor wil now chant the following verses,reeated by the candidate after him line by line:

Buddham Saranam Gacchami
Dhammam Saranam Gacchami
Sangham Saranam Gacchami

To the Buddha I go for refuge.
To the Dhamma I go for refuge.
To the Sangha I go for refuge.

Dutiyampi Buddham Saranam Gacchami
Dutiyampi Dhammam Saranam Gacchami
Dutiyampi Sangham Saranam Gaccami

For the second time,I go to the Buddha for refuge.
For the second time,I go to the Dhamma for refuge.
For the second time,I go to the Sangha for refuge.

Tatiyampi Buddham Saranam Gacchami
Tatiyampi Dhammam Saranam Gacchami
Tatiyampi Sangham Saranam Gacchami.

For the third time,I go to the Buddha for refuge.
For the third time,I go to the Dhamma for refuge.
For the third time,I go to the Sangha for refuge.

The preceptor then says:Tisaranagamanam Nitthitam(This is the end of taking the Triple Gem as refuge)
and the candidate:Ama Bhante(Yes,Venerable Sir)

The Ten Precepts

1- Panatipata veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami.
2-Adinnadana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami.
3-Abrahmacariya veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami.
4-Musavada veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami.
5-Sura-meraya-majja-pamadatthana veramani sikhapadam samadiyami
6-Vikala-bhojana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
7-Nacca-gita-vadita-visuka-dassana-veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
8-Mala-gandha-vilepana-dharana-mandana-vibhusanatthana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
9-Ucca-Sayana-maha-sayana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
10-Jatarupa-rajata-patiggahana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami

Imani Dasa Sikkhapadani Samadiyami(repeat 3 times)

1-I undertake the rule of training to refrain from killing living creatures;
2-I......................................................taking what is not given;
3-.......................................................unchaste conduct;
4-.......................................................speaking falsely;
5-.......................................................distilled and fermented intoxicants which are the occasion for carelessness;
6-........................................................eating at the wrong time;
7-........................................................dancing,singing,music and going for entertainment;
8-.......................................................wearing garlands,smartening with perfumes and beautifying with costumes;
9-.......................................................lying on a high or large sleeping place;
10-......................................................acceting gold and silver(money)
I undertake to observe these Ten Rules of training.

Sabbam Aparadham Khamata Me Bhante(prostrate once)

The candidate prostrates once.In a standing positio,with palms together,he cahants the following:

Vandami Bhante
Sabbaam Aparadham KKhamata Me Bhante
Sadhu Sadhu Anumodami(prostrate 3 times)

May I salute you,Venerable Sir.
May the master transfer to me the merits(he has)acquired.
Sadhu,Sadhu.I rejoice.

The candidate kneels down and prostrates 3 times.
He is now an initiate Samanera and the initation is completed.
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
Gena1480

Post by Gena1480 »

thank you all
amfeadan

Post by amfeadan »

Thank you, Phra Chuntawongso!
Do you happen to have the translation of the remaining procedure to complete the ordination as a Bhikkhu, in the Maha Nikaya Tradition, after complete the part of the Samanera?
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

amfeadan wrote:Thank you, Phra Chuntawongso!
Do you happen to have the translation of the remaining procedure to complete the ordination as a Bhikkhu, in the Maha Nikaya Tradition, after complete the part of the Samanera?
The upasampadā formula is the same in both Nikāyas and can be dowloaded from Buddhanet:

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/ordination.pdf
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)