Be a monk for a month?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.

Be a monk for a month?

Postby itchyfeet » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:03 am

Hello,

I've just been on that 'monk for a month' website, it looks quite good, but i was wondering if anyone has done it, and was it worth it. I'm a bit concerned it seems a bit commercial. If anyone has any views on it, it would be appreicated to hear from you.

Kindest regards

Tom.
itchyfeet

Re: Be a monk for a month?

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:09 am

This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby itchyfeet » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:23 am

Cheers for the link. Its interesting how people view it differently. If one gets ordained for just a month, returns home and then feels like he would like to get ordained again on a more permanent base, will the month ordination hinder that possibilty.
itchyfeet

Postby Sobeh » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:33 am

itchyfeet wrote:...will the month ordination hinder that possibilty.

I can't imagine how that would be the case; it's probably a great experience for people who are fence-sitting on that very decision.
Sobeh

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:08 pm

no, it is not a higher ordination but a Novice ordination, and even if it was a higher ordination you can ordain at that level up to 7 times, I don't think there is a limit for novice oridination.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Return to Ordination and Monastic Life