United States --> Australia

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.

United States --> Australia

Postby Sobeh » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:03 pm

If everything goes according to plan I am ordaining as a monk down in Australia (well, anagaraka first, and that after a preliminary period, but you know, the plane ticket will ideally end up being one-way).

Thing is, I'm getting all of my ducks in rows prior to leaving (very tentatively this November) and I wanted to get on top of the paperwork. I have never planned an international trip like this, and I find myself baffled when it comes to navigating travel visas. I was hoping there would be some knowledgeable folk here who might offer some signposts or guidelines to this process from their own experience.

For example, I think that I am supposed to get what's called an ETA, but is this everything I need to take care of? (Everything stateside is handled, e.g. passports and financial arrangements and whatnot.)

I hope this post finds itself in the correct location on the boards, and not repetitive - I tried to do my research beforehand.

metta,

~david m.
Sobeh

Re: United States --> Australia

Postby Ben » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:51 am

Hi David

In your situation I would approach the Australian embassy or consulate closest to you for assistance with your planned trip/migration to Australia. Sorry I can't give you any more practical help!
kind regards

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby BlackBird » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:56 am

Hi David

In addition to what Ben has said, have you made contact with the monastery you intend to stay at, on the visa issue? They may be able to help you.

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Postby Stephen » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:32 am

Ajahn Brahm's in Australia.... now that's one hoopy frood.
The "self", which is a construct of the mind, is non-self. It is not us, and we are not it. This self blinds us to reality; it is our Mara, our Satan, our Hades. Cast it out and behold the path to freedom.
(Visit http://www.BodhiBox.com for a free Buddhist e-mail account, while you're still attached to the 'net...)
Stephen

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:38 am

Greetings,

Stephen wrote:Ajahn Brahm's in Australia.... now that's one hoopy frood.

I had to look this one up!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... py%20frood

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Stephen » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:58 am

Yeah that's what happens when lingo from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy gets absorbed into my fuzzy brainspace; no one understands me. ;)
The "self", which is a construct of the mind, is non-self. It is not us, and we are not it. This self blinds us to reality; it is our Mara, our Satan, our Hades. Cast it out and behold the path to freedom.
(Visit http://www.BodhiBox.com for a free Buddhist e-mail account, while you're still attached to the 'net...)
Stephen

Postby Sobeh » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:49 am

Monks have an outer robe.... large towel perhaps?
:alien:
Sobeh

Return to Ordination and Monastic Life