Ordination in Thailand

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
gavesako

Re: Ordination in Thailand

Post by gavesako »

Here is the whole ordination procedure in Pali:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... .app2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
fabianfred

Post by fabianfred »

I have been living here in Thailand for the past eighteen years since retirement from the British Army at age 40.
I moved to Fang from Chiangmai 12 years ago after getting married to a local girl and we have two children. Since than I have been on the Non-immigrant 'O' married extension of stay yearly.

I ordained as a novice in Wat SriBunRuang Fang on the 9th May. I have been coming to the temple almost daily to teach the Dhamma and Meditation to foreigners who attend the MonkforaMonth project (Facebook= Monk for a month or my Facebook= Fabian Frederick Blandford).
I ordained as a monk on 21st july just before the start of the three months rains retreat.
Upon being advised that I could get a change to non-Immigrant 'R' one year extension of stay by taking a letter from the abbot to the national Office of Buddhism, Buddhamonthon, Nakorn Phrathom, and getting a letter from them.....which I would show to immigration... I went.

People know where the general area of buddhamonthon is...but not the actual place....so best to get a taxi. The actual office is a long walk from the main road if you take the bus.
My documantation was not complete...so I couldn't get the letter. They advised me as to which forms I needed filled in and signed...by the abbot, head monk of the district, and head monk of the province. I already was in possesion of the 'bai Suttee' which is the passport which all monks and novices carry.
Back to my temple and running around getting the signatures. They had given me an addressed envelope to send back to their office by EMS....which I did.
The wait for it to return....I was getting very close to the deadline when my visa would expire..on the 5th of this month...so they sent it direct to the Chiangmai immigration office.
Yesterday I went early......always a queue anyway. I eventually got my visa changed and a new one year extension of stay. cost 1900 Baht...plus about 3000 Baht more running about and down to BKK etc. (who says monks don't need money!!??)
advice...start a month before your visa expires.... if you enjoy walking, the grounds at buddhamonthon are extensive and have varieties of wildlife which seem very tame and easy to photograph.

from next year I shall be able to do the paperwork at the Religious headquarters in Chiangmai instead of going to BKK.
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Congratulations Fabian...I keep myself updated about MFAM at Facebook. Good job up there. :anjali:
sonictravels

Post by sonictravels »

Hello,

Does anyone have any information about Wat Tha Ma O? I cannot locate a website which may suggest it wouldn't be easy to ordain there as an english speaker..

Thanks
yuttadhammo

Post by yuttadhammo »

fabianfred wrote:from next year I shall be able to do the paperwork at the Religious headquarters in Chiangmai instead of going to BKK.
Word to the wise... don't. You will find a world of difference between Chiang Mai and Buddhamonton. Trust me. Stick with Buddhamonton and be happy at spending only 3000 on transportation. I spent a month trying to get an extension to my R visa and on the day my visa was set to expire I went in and asked if they could rush it. They asked me why I waited until the last day. Unless you have powerful friends or lots of "tea money" (เงินชา) expect problems at every turn. When my friend sent her application to Buddhamonton, poof, her problems disappeared. In fact, if you talk to them nicely, you can just send stuff to BM by mail and not have to go yourself.
yuttadhammo

Post by yuttadhammo »

sonictravels wrote:Does anyone have any information about Wat Tha Ma O? I cannot locate a website which may suggest it wouldn't be easy to ordain there as an english speaker..
If you are referring to the Burmese Pali center in the North, Talk to the monks at Section 25 in Wat Mahadhatu, BKK. They are connected. I hear it has a new abbot who is not as disciplined as the last. Just hearsay, though.
sonictravels

Post by sonictravels »

yuttadhammo wrote:
sonictravels wrote:Does anyone have any information about Wat Tha Ma O? I cannot locate a website which may suggest it wouldn't be easy to ordain there as an english speaker..
If you are referring to the Burmese Pali center in the North, Talk to the monks at Section 25 in Wat Mahadhatu, BKK. They are connected. I hear it has a new abbot who is not as disciplined as the last. Just hearsay, though.
Well, earlier in the thread, there was a quote from Ven. Dhammanando Bhikkh suggesting it as a good place. I am trying to find somewhere that would offer a good training in Vinaya, Dhamma, and meditation. Does anyone have any opinions about Wat Pah Nanachat in regards to those criteria? As much as I would like to experience the kind of dedication and support as that of the lay communities in Thailand, I am beginning to think that I might get more out of a relatively quieter monastery back here in England such as Cittaviveka.

Anyway, thank you Yuttadhammo.
yuttadhammo

Post by yuttadhammo »

sonictravels wrote:Well, earlier in the thread, there was a quote from Ven. Dhammanando Bhikkh suggesting it as a good place.
Sorry, I'd not read the entire thread, but that makes it certain to be the same place. Ven Dhammanando is wise in these things, but I imagine most foreigners would prefer an easy place like Wat Pa Nanachat over an exotic experience like Wat Tam Ma Oh. They are mostly well known for their Pali studies, I think. A better place from what I've seen would be Wat Jaak Dang in Samutprakan; they teach vinaya from the pitaka and recite pieces of the patimokkha during evening chanting. They also teach abhidhamma and Pali - the vice abbot is a very well-known Pali scholar and the abbot well-known for abhidhamma. For meditation teaching you might have to look elsewhere, though.
I am trying to find somewhere that would offer a good training in Vinaya, Dhamma, and meditation. Does anyone have any opinions about Wat Pah Nanachat in regards to those criteria? As much as I would like to experience the kind of dedication and support as that of the lay communities in Thailand, I am beginning to think that I might get more out of a relatively quieter monastery back here in England such as Cittaviveka.

Anyway, thank you Yuttadhammo.
You're welcome; personally, I would recommend a place in England over moving to Thailand, unless you have a Thai passport.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

...unless you have a Thai passport.
Not to contradict, or dispute, but a Thai passport is not necessary…for a foreign national any will suffice...
yuttadhammo

Post by yuttadhammo »

appicchato wrote:
...unless you have a Thai passport.
Not to contradict, or dispute, but a Thai passport is not necessary…for a foreign national any will suffice...
Maybe my situation was unique, then :) On the other hand, Dhammanando himself has been forced to leave the country, as I understand... maybe he agrees with me.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

yuttadhammo wrote:...Dhammanando himself has been forced to leave the country, as I understand... maybe he agrees with me.
Greetings Bhante,

Foreign born monks basically have two options to stay in Thailand…a religious visa, or a student visa, both one year, both requiring renewal each year…the Thai government puts a limit of nine renewals on religious visas…if I had to venture a guess, I would say that Dhammanando Bhikkhu exhausted his ten years (or more, this being Thailand), and chose not to become a student…Thai passports are not on the cards for foreign born nationals…

Be well...
sonictravels

Post by sonictravels »

Thanks for all the information. I had a lovely stay in Cittaviveka. Everyone was warm and most importantly it seems to have potential for serious practice. It was also absolutely beautiful and so I feel that I don't need to look any further. But I am still tempted to go to Thailand. Only time will tell. Now I just need to practice patience to see how the path will unfold for me.
FBM

Post by FBM »

sonictravels wrote:Hello,

Does anyone have any information about Wat Tha Ma O? I cannot locate a website which may suggest it wouldn't be easy to ordain there as an english speaker..

Thanks
http://www.wattamaoh.com/home/index.php

I spent a week at Wat Tammahoh. It's Burmese, not Thai. I asked about ordination and they said it wouldn't be a problem. The Ajahn is very old (if he's still alive) and doesn't speak English, but the head monk does quite well.

The main function of Wat Tamaoh is to teach Pali to monks getting ready to take the state Pali exams. Most of the monks I saw there were young Burmese kids. It's a nice place, kinda small and in the suburbs of Lampang. The morning pindabat isn't hard, and it's a quiet neighborhood. I was there about 4 years ago, and they didn't have Internet access at that time. They do have a library with a limited, but interesting, selection of English books.

If I ordain a second time, Wat Tamaoh tops my (current) list of places to go. After you have settled in and learned how to behave as a monk, you can get permission to spend vassa at forest monasteries, if that's your inclination. If I were to go back, I'd ordain there and then go to the International Buddhist College in Sanklaburi for Ph.D studies.

The wat has English and Thai language classes for the young monks, too. As of four years ago, a Thai woman taught them both languages. If I were to ordain there, I'd volunteer to teach English to the other monks. The young ones are mostly very poor refugees who ordained as a means to get an education, food, shelter, etc. They're well supported by the local Thais, and the wat has a very good reputation. When I was trying to find it, all I had to say was "Wat Tamaoh" and everybody I talked to quickly pointed me in the right direction.

Best of luck!
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

For those who are looking for this information:

Somdet Maha Samanachao Vajirananavarorasa - Ordination Procedure

http://www.scribd.com/doc/30162231/Bhik ... -Procedure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
FBM

Post by FBM »

gavesako wrote:For those who are looking for this information:

Somdet Maha Samanachao Vajirananavarorasa - Ordination Procedure

http://www.scribd.com/doc/30162231/Bhik ... -Procedure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:anjali: Thank you for that. It brings up fond memories. Incidentally, the Ajahn at Wat Sunan was/is Japanese and named Gavesako. I presume he is still there. :anjali: