Concise on-line resources on the Vinaya

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
littlesmile

Concise on-line resources on the Vinaya

Post by littlesmile »

Hi all,

I am about to take temporary ordination for a few months in Burma, I was wondering if anybody knew of any online recourses which concisely describe the Vinaya. While I won’t have time to fully read and memorize the whole of the Vinaya, and this is not expected of monks who have taken temporary ordination in Burma, I would like to observe the Vinaya as best I can. I have taken temporary ordination here before and there was very little focus or instruction on the Vinaya. This time I would like to put in some personal effort in order to respect the tradition to the best of my ability.

I’m aware that some full translations of the Book of Discipline are now available on-line, but at nearly 3000 pages that may be a bit much for me right now!

I’ve found two or three talks on the Vinaya on Dharmaseed. Someone mentioned to me that there were a series of talks available on-line which outlined the Vinaya as well as giving some personal reflections on it, I think it may have been from one of the western branches of the Thai Forest tradition. Has anybody heard about this or know of anything similar?
Much Metta,
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Concise on-line resources on the Vinaya

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The Buddhist Monastic Code is not too intimidating.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
samseva

Post by samseva »

The Buddhist Monastic Code I and II by Ṭhānissaro Bhikkhu is what you need. Read and study all of the initial description for each rule (simply quickly read the Khandhaka rules from the book II).

I would definitely study the Parājika and Saṅghādisesa rules in depth, which could prevent very embarrassing situations where you would either be required to disrobe or end up creating a whole situation requiring a communal meeting. Not that I am saying you are prone to breaking such rules, but there are some risky situations where more thorough understanding of the rules is important. Other areas to study more into would be to know all of your edibles (maybe ask the monks there regarding how they function at their monastery, since there are some variations depending on the sect and even individual monasteries), as well as most of the more serious rules that have to do with laypeople, to avoid creating a wrong impression of the monastery you will be staying at. However, if you are mindful and careful, you shouldn't have many problems.

Not necessarily having to do with the Vinaya, but read up on the venomous/dangerous creatures in the area you will be, and most importantly how to handle such a situation if it were to happen. It's not super dangerous though.

Much success with your plans to ordain and with your stay in Burma.
DC2R

Post by DC2R »

Here is a concise list of the 227 rules of the pātimokkha. Click on one for more detailed information.

http://en.dhammadana.org/sangha/vinaya/227.htm

I know this is not the entire Vinaya, but it might be helpful for a temporary ordination.
littlesmile

Post by littlesmile »

Thanks guys. That's helpful, i appreciate your responses

I'm also interested in personal or contemporary reflections on the Vinaya. My own felt sense of the rules was that though there may have been a good reason for them originally, following them now seems pretty arbitrary. But I value them because I find surrendering my own preferences and views to an age old (and seemly arbitrary) code to bring me face-to-face with my aversion and self-clinging, in a very helpful way.

What are other people's reasons for following it? And do you know of any interesting writing on this? I had heard about a series of talks available on-line in which monks from the Thai Forest tradition talk about their relationship to the Vinaya. Does anybody know of this or how I might be able to find this, or of anything similar?

Metta
samseva

Post by samseva »

littlesmile wrote:I'm also interested in personal or contemporary reflections on the Vinaya. My own felt sense of the rules was that though there may have been a good reason for them originally, following them now seems pretty arbitrary.
While some rules aren't necessarily useful due to changes from modern times, the Vinaya rules aren't arbitrary at all.