Disabled person ordaining

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
robbie77

Disabled person ordaining

Post by robbie77 »

Dear Dhamma friends

I have a question. I myself am 32 years old and likely to spend a large part of my life in a wheelchair. I am interested to know if it would be possible for a person in a wheelchair to ordain? And whether or not some traditions may be more able to accommodate a disabled monk than others.

Metta

Robert
DC2R

Re: Disabled person ordaining

Post by DC2R »

Since all monasteries differ in terms of their facilitates, it would be best to contact the monastery you wish to ordain at and inquire about their accommodations. For example, some forest monasteries might be inaccessible (or at least not practical) for people in wheelchairs.

Other than that, you should be able to receive full ordination.
cooran

Post by cooran »

This previous thread also discusses this topic:

Handicapped monks or nuns
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 7&p=302462" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With metta,

Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
SearchingPeace

Post by SearchingPeace »

I met in person a monk who is in a similar situation
He is part of the Thai Forest lineage
ricosadao

Post by ricosadao »

robbie77 wrote:Dear Dhamma friends

I have a question. I myself am 32 years old and likely to spend a large part of my life in a wheelchair. I am interested to know if it would be possible for a person in a wheelchair to ordain? And whether or not some traditions may be more able to accommodate a disabled monk than others.

Metta

Robert
Monasteries in the West might be more flexible on disability issues
In the East ,I think it's highly unlikely to happen.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

In general terms, it all depends. Good support systems is the key issue in cases like this.

One of my teachers was an American who had had a brain tumour, and ordaining in the US would have been out of the question, due to the need for ongoing medical care (though he was very mobile he still needed some attention). His (Thai monastic) teacher said if he wanted to ordain he'd have to come to Thailand, since as a monk in Thailand there was free health care and ample lay support.

Of course, that would not work in all cases, but did in the case of a well-connected Bangkok Wat.

[Unfortunately he died a few years ago, but that was caused by injuries sustained in a car crash, not the brain issues.]

:anjali:
Mike
robbie77

Post by robbie77 »

SearchingPeace wrote:I met in person a monk who is in a similar situation
Do you perhaps know where he stays?
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

you may wish to speak to a Bhikkhu about the vinaya issues of you ordaining. And some information starting at the bottom of page 192 and continues relevantly on page 196 http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... o/bmc2.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kind Regards
Cittasanto
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
SearchingPeace

Post by SearchingPeace »

robbie77 wrote:
SearchingPeace wrote:I met in person a monk who is in a similar situation
Do you perhaps know where he stays?
Robbie, I sent you a private message on this. Anyway, my opinion is that the best thing would be to make your question directly to the abbot of a theravada monastery. I am not 100% sure but it is very likely that most of the monasteries in the Theravada tradition would accept a disabled person as a monk.
With Metta
:anjali:
nickc

Post by nickc »

I am paraplegic and use a wheelchair, I'm also independent given accessible environment and need no care support, I became disabled when I was 16 have worked since leaving university, amongst other things I have traveled on my own across South America and Afghanistan. I asked if it would be possible to ordain in the Thai Forest Tradition but was told that it was not.
bhante dhamma

Post by bhante dhamma »

it depends on the upajjhaya' when I lived in thailnd there was a onk candidate who had aids, caused a big stir, anothrr monk I know had only 9 fingrs, etc, also there is a story of a dwarf with abhinya powers in the canon, it depends on a few things..