Kindle, E-book and being a monk.

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
moment

Kindle, E-book and being a monk.

Post by moment »

Hello again.
And again I apologize for my English(but not sure how good or bad I'm in it).
It came to this after planning and thinking about traveling to Sri Lanka or Thai and practicing as a layman and maybe later ordaining, that I have a very useful device such as an ebook reader with later helped me a lot through my journey and made things easier, and is an easy and quick source of a great knowledge and probably I wouldn't be able to use it anymore after becoming a monk?
My Vinaya knowledge isn't great but as I know it, I assume, using such device can be pinned into rule that it's source of entertainment?
For me, from one perspective it seems quite non-sense. But from other perspective I think I understand much why is that or seen as bad thing, obstacle, clinging thing.
I started to think although if trying to ask or propose some solutions to monastery, or an abbot have any sens and if so, how could I propose, speak about it? How to compose good arguments and maybe even refer, quote some suttas, sentences?
It seems much of an use for me, helping to develop, especially considering that English isn't my native language and I have plenty of material, books, suttas in my language.
Of course I could just print only all the materials, books that are in my language but still I think it would take so much paper that it could take even the whole suitcase. And I'm not even sure how much it would cost. Also it would take much more time to search for certain thing in such heap.
I do remember that I have heard or seen somewhere on the internet, pictures, of monks, having, using even smartphones - not saying that I commend it. I wonder then in what countries it could be. I think it was a Thailand.
How does such monk get into posses such device? As I understand(but again my knowledge, understanding of Vinaya is quite poor I think) it could only happen when a layman offer such thing to a monk? So then I wonder, in the best case scenario when it would be allowable to have/use such device in some monastery, when being a monk, it could only happen in the way that some layman would give me one?
I was also thinking about if having or using one under abbot control wouldn't be possible, maybe I could talk to someone and make an offer to the monastery, library of such device, giving along with it an instruction how to use it and what books are on in. Anyone who wants could use it in the library or maybe even borrow it.
I was also thinking about writing to certain monasteries, asking about such idea, but firstly I though it would be better to write here, make sure of things, and not to bother, take unnecessarily someones time.
Also as I assume, even in best case scenario, the problem could be that it's hard and time, energy consuming to check, make sure if all the books that are in in, are legal and appropriate.
perkele

Re: Kindle, E-book and being a monk.

Post by perkele »

Hello!

Maybe this discussion can give you some thoughts: Monks/Nuns and IPads

For sure there is much possibility for corruption and abuse with all these devices, in regards to keeping the Vinaya, and the potential with all the possibilities of browsing the web and chatting and making calls around the globe seems certainly quite high. But quite sure some use them only for good purposes.
And an ebook reader, which could be seen as just a little portable "library", seems to be quite limited in all those possible scenarios of abuse.

Personally, I would not try and think of arguments beforehand. But foremostly just look for a trustworthy place, and be prepared to relinquish all your belongings which may not be acceptable there, and see if you can make the commitment.

I have no experience travelling in Asia, but I'm cofident that at the monasteries where money is handled as a matter of course and other blatant breaches of the Vinaya are the norm, possessing a smartphone, computer or similar would not be uncommon for a monk.

But presumably you are looking for a more soberly place. And the thing you are worried about is only an ebook reader.
moment wrote:I was also thinking about if having or using one under abbot control wouldn't be possible, maybe I could talk to someone and make an offer to the monastery, library of such device, giving along with it an instruction how to use it and what books are on in. Anyone who wants could use it in the library or maybe even borrow it.
Personally, I think this would be a very commendable idea, and the most proper. Sadhu!
moment wrote:Also as I assume, even in best case scenario, the problem could be that it's hard and time, energy consuming to check, make sure if all the books that are in in, are legal and appropriate.
If you make sure, and give it in confidence, and it is accepted in confidence, then I don't think it's likely there should arise any such problems with it.

But I don't know, and I have never been in Asia and in close contact with a real monastic environment there. Just what I think from what I've heard and read and seen over the web and the impressions I have.
DC2R

Post by DC2R »

It all depends on how the device is used. If e-book readers are used for reading materials relevant to the teachings, then that is a good use. However, if "entertaining" books are being read on the device, then the use of the device should be reconsidered.

The same goes for other forms of media. A monk using a tablet to teach on the Internet presents no problem. It is an extension of their voice.
samseva

Post by samseva »

If you have other books that aren't Dhamma-related (or of an aid for Dhamma study, such as language books, dictionaries, etc) on the device, then it isn't something that should be allowed for a bhikkhu. Those would fall under entertainment.

However, if the ebook reader is solely used for Dhamma study, I am pretty sure many abbots would approve owning of one, although discretion would obviously be expected. There might be more stricter monasteries which wouldn't allow such a device (if I remember correctly, Wat Pah Nanachat being one), but I think most will be okay—the situation being that the ebook reader simply is an electronic version of Dhamma books and material.