Australia & a general question

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
primitiveresonance

Australia & a general question

Post by primitiveresonance »

Hi

Does someone have first hand experience about ordaining in Australia? I've been speculating about ordination for ages and Australia won at last.
Another question is about buddhism in ordained sanghas in general. Is everyone a "buddhist" in that sense that everyone accepts blindly whatever the scriptures/tradition say or can we be more like Buddha asked and think for our selves while following the rules for monks? I mean for example karma, soul and reincarnation can be actually talked about or just swallowed as they are presented?
Zom

Re: Australia & a general question

Post by Zom »

If you don't believe in reincarnation or/and kamma - as they generally presented in Buddhism - there's no need for you to become a monk.
Alobha

Re: Australia & a general question

Post by Alobha »

Instead of speculating, I'd recommend directly asking the abbots of the monasteries you are interested in about that matter and visiting them as a layperson before considering ordination there. Some of the australian monasteries have online message boards and all of them can be reached by snailmail, if you want to clarify this before visiting. Depending on the abbot and his general style, things may be a bit different from place to place.