Trying to ordain at Wat Boonyawad -- Looking for some advice

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Moth

Trying to ordain at Wat Boonyawad -- Looking for some advice

Post by Moth »

I am planning to go to Thailand in about a month, with hopes to ordain at Wat Boonyawad. I emailed them and they told me to come visit first and see. I am trying to figure out all the things I need to do to prepare for this trip and it is somewhat overwhelming.

(1) I still need to get my visa, but I'm not sure what the best course of action is. I emailed Wat Boonyawad about possibly getting a letter of sponsorship for the non-immigrant visa but of course the don't know me at all and probably will say no. I read on this forum that it would be better to get a tourist visa first.

(2) I got my Typhoid and Hepatitis A vaccinations, but I still need my Japanese Encephalitis shots. Unfortunately they need to be 28 days apart so I would have to carry the second shot with me on the plain and administer it in Thailand. The doctor told me that they shots are cheaper in Thailand, but I don't know anything about getting around in Thailand, I don't even know how to get from Bangkok to Wat Boonyawad :cry:

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for advice. Thank you and metta.
May you be happy. May you be a peace. May you be free from suffering.
http://www.everythingspirals.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bazzaman

Re: Trying to ordain at Wat Boonyawad -- Looking for some ad

Post by bazzaman »

I can recommend the Pasteur Institute for vaccinations. It is part of the Red Cross, and is centrally located in the same compound as the famous tourist attraction, The Snake Farm. (part of their work is the production of anti-venon, and the show biz part supports that. Worth a visit on its on right.) http://bit.ly/1vXe0GX Take the BTS (sky-train) to Sala Daeng station, and walk about 10/15 minutes along Rama IV Road.
I don't know about Hep A, since it was developed after I acquired immunity to it, but Hep B is still somewhat of a problem in S.E. Asia. I would get the shots, particularly if there is a possibility of getting knicked by a used razor. Most people are aware of the risk, and razors are cheap, but sometimes corners are cut. It's a more serious disease than Hep A, so I think it's worth the expense. I don't know if the Pasteur Institute offers that particular vaccine (some conflict with GSK, the manufacturer?); you might have to go to a private clinic for it. It's not cheap, but I think worth the cost.
But they do have J.E. and typhoid. I prefer the typhoid jab to the oral method, and they have it in jab form. It's true that the prices there are reasonable, and it's a easy to get to, clean and professional. A doctor looks at your vaccination record book, gives you a form listing what you need. You take the form down the hall, pay the lady, get the vials and take them to a room where a nice man shoots you up. Usually in and out in 15 minutes... which is saying something for Bangkok.
Atāṇo loko anabhissaro...

Yena yena hi maññanti tato taṃ hoti aññathā,
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Since presumably you are planning to be at Wat Boonyawad for some time maybe you should plan to do the course of shots while you're there, just tell one of the lay supporters what you want to do and they'll probably be able to help you out.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Moth

Post by Moth »

What about insurance. Should I keep the insurance I have here in the states while I am there. Should I go on international insurance?
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Moth wrote:What about insurance. Should I keep the insurance I have here in the states while I am there. Should I go on international insurance?
Never having been medically insured I don't know which of these would be better. But once you are ordained you won't need to worry about insurance. Treatment is free of charge for monks in Thai state hospitals and at the sangha hospital in Bangkok.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Moth

Re: Trying to ordain at Wat Boonyawad -- Looking for some advice

Post by Moth »

Does anyone have advice on getting from Bangkok to Wat Boonyawad?

I looked on Google Maps and it gives me this route, however there is no train option
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Bangkok ... 114334!3e0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Moth,

You'd be likely to get more detailed advicd asking on a specifically Thailand site, such as:
http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/forum.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.thaivisa.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's not a long journey, only a couple of hours east of the airport (which is east of Bangkok) and there must be buses going in that direction. Did the people at the Wat give any advice?

:anjali:
Mike
nick1

Post by nick1 »

Wat Boonyawad is not close to any town or village, usually everyone goes there by car, if you call the monastery they can give you the number of a taxi driver who knows the way there from Bangkok, I think it costs about 1500 baht (about $50), otherwise you could try to take a minivan to somewhere in Chonburi (about 200 baht), then get a local motorcycle taxi to take you to the monastery. Remember this is a one off expense, once you are there they will arrange travel for you if required.

You should get a two month tourist visa before you travel, this can be extended for an extra month at the Chonburi immigration office. Once you have been there for a while they will decide whether to accept you as an anagarika and you will have to train for several months, then ordain as a novice for one year, then as a bhikkhu, similar to the system at Wat Pah Nanachat. Once they have accepted you as an anagarika they will issue you with an invitation letter and you will have to go to Malaysia or Laos to apply for a non-immigrant visa, once you have ordained as a novice this visa can be extended, for one year at a time, for as long as you stay there. The senior western monk there will do all the paperwork for you, once you are a novice they will pay all your visa expenses, but before that you will have to cover your own costs.

I wouldn't worry about medical insurance, the community there is well taken care of, they will arrange for you to see a doctor if necessary and, once you are ordained, cover any costs.

I wouldn't worry if I was you, the senior western monk there is very friendly and helpful, the monastery is well supported and once you are part of the community everything you need will be taken care of.

One final tip, they do not allow phones, pads or mp4 players there, if you want to listen to mp3 talks you will need a device that only plays mp3, such as a sony recorder.

Good luck, I might see you there in a few weeks
FutureBhikkhu

Post by FutureBhikkhu »

Thank you for everyone who has contributed towards this topic. I've been recommended to seek out this monastery, but have very little info regarding which monks reside there. After a quick google search, I was still not clear. Can anyone offer any examples because I want to start the process of being a monk this year, and would like to know the details of this place asap.

May you all be well, happy, and contended!
Keep on developing the causes of the Ultimate. Moreover, use your ingenuity to find novel ways to do acts of Goodness.
Kumara

Post by Kumara »

nick1 wrote:Once they have accepted you as an anagarika they will issue you with an invitation letter and you will have to go to Malaysia or Laos to apply for a non-immigrant visa...
And don't worry about this process in Malaysia. Aj Dtun is very highly regarded in Malaysia, esp in KL.

All the best to you!
Moth

Post by Moth »

I am here now. If you want a good taxi driver, just call Lek 098-984-5752. He drives many foreigners to Wat Boonyawad and used to be a monk. Very nice guy.

You can get a Thai sim for very cheap at the airport. I got the happy sim dtac for like $15 for 30 days unlimited data.

Ajahn Dtun is a very good teacher. There are not many English speaking people here, but the guest monk is very nice and speaks good English. Because I do not speak Thai I will also try Wat Marp Jan and maybe Wat Pah Nana Chat. However there is a two pansa monk here that I made friends with who doesn't speak Thai who seems to be getting on fine. There is a very senior western monk named Ajahn Tejapanyo who can translate for you when you speak with Ajahn Dtun.

The monastery is strict but its a good opportunities for practice. Not a lot of work, but a lot of solitary time to meditate. I hear the mosquitoes are intense during the rainy season, but right now they are not too bad. No malaria.

I am not able to speak to the Thai monks, so I cannot say how the community is. Most monks are Thai, not many foreigners.

The emphasis here seems to be much more on individual practice and less on communal practice/work, from what I can see.
FutureBhikkhu

Post by FutureBhikkhu »

Thank you so much for the update, Moth, and for also including the taxi driver's details. I still don't know much about this monastery, but am intrigued by your observations. I will follow up on the name of the Western monk you mentioned :)

Enjoy the rest of your stay!
Keep on developing the causes of the Ultimate. Moreover, use your ingenuity to find novel ways to do acts of Goodness.
Re-Ordain

Post by Re-Ordain »

nick1 wrote: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:44 pm Wat Boonyawad is not close to any town or Village...
Hey Nick are you still there, at Wat Boonyawad?
I am a German and 66 years old, I'm in Thailand for 3 weeks by now, I'm still looking for a reordination in a monastery. Do they ordain man at the age of 66 at Wat Boonyawad? Do you know?
Garlic

Post by Garlic »

Re-Ordain wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:10 am
nick1 wrote: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:44 pm Wat Boonyawad is not close to any town or Village...
I am a German and 66 years old, I'm in Thailand for 3 weeks by now, I'm still looking for a reordination in a monastery. Do they ordain man at the age of 66 at Wat Boonyawad? Do you know?
Hi, I can't say for them, but generally it seems in Thailand they are very reluctant to ordain foreigners over age 45-50. But perhaps since you are re-ordaining and have experience already, they would make exceptions. The 45-50 age might only apply to brand new ordinations.

However, should they refuse you, it appears Sri Lanka and Myanmar (Pa-Auk for example) are quite open to older ordinations.
Suddh

Post by Suddh »

Re-Ordain wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:10 am
They could well be fine with it. Thai Ajaans usually have no problem with elderly men ordaining.