Contact with family and friends in Europe as a monk in Asia?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Sati1

Contact with family and friends in Europe as a monk in Asia?

Post by Sati1 »

Hello,

I have been considering ordaining in Sri Lanka over the last year and one of the recent questions I had was to what extent monks are allowed to communicate with their families and with friends from before. I understand that separation from outside worldly affairs is encouraged, but can one usually still occasionally email or write letters to parents, siblings and close friends? My brother, in particular, has been benefiting from my guidance on his own Buddhist Path, and it would be a shame to finish that communication. Also my parents would be very sad if they couldn't communicate anymore with me, as would be my closest friends.

Many thanks,
Sati1

----
"I do not perceive even one other thing, o monks, that when developed and cultivated entails such great happiness as the mind" (AN 1.30, transl. Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi)
"So this spiritual life, monks, does not have gain, honor, and renown for its benefit, or the attainment of moral discipline for its benefit, or the attainment of concentration for its benefit, or knowledge and vision for its benefit. But it is this unshakable liberation of mind that is the goal of this spiritual life, its heartwood, and its end," (MN 29, transl. Ven Bhikkhu Bodhi)
Anagarika

Re: Contact with family and friends in Europe as a monk in A

Post by Anagarika »

Sati1 wrote:Hello,

I have been considering ordaining in Sri Lanka over the last year and one of the recent questions I had was to what extent monks are allowed to communicate with their families and with friends from before. I understand that separation from outside worldly affairs is encouraged, but can one usually still occasionally email or write letters to parents, siblings and close friends? My brother, in particular, has been benefiting from my guidance on his own Buddhist Path, and it would be a shame to finish that communication. Also my parents would be very sad if they couldn't communicate anymore with me, as would be my closest friends.

Many thanks,
Hi Sati. One answer to your question is that much depends on the monastery at which you will ordain, and the attitude of the abbot to having internet and allowing computers at the wat. My experience is with Thailand, where some of the wats have internet access, and some (such as the Forest wats) do not permit computers or internet. So, as part of your research as to where to ordain, check out the environment at the various wats and see which one would be the best fit for you.
ihrjordan

Post by ihrjordan »

I suspect most monasteries wouldn't mind communication with mother and father but not so much siblings and other family members, then again I could be wrong
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

I don't see much of an issue with this. In Asia, it is common for relatives to physically visit monks at the monastery. If there are any problems, I think it would be related to whether the monastery has computers or Internet access which could be rare. Normally, personal devices such as Ipads and cell phones would not be permitted, but one is free to write letters.
Sati1

Post by Sati1 »

Hello,

Many thanks for your replies. As for writing letters, do monasteries usually have a stash of international stamps? It seems as though it would be much cheaper to provide internet access for e-mails than to have monks use stamps to send letters. The monasteries that I am considering are forest monasteries in Sri Lanka.

Many thanks,

Andreas
Sati1

----
"I do not perceive even one other thing, o monks, that when developed and cultivated entails such great happiness as the mind" (AN 1.30, transl. Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi)
"So this spiritual life, monks, does not have gain, honor, and renown for its benefit, or the attainment of moral discipline for its benefit, or the attainment of concentration for its benefit, or knowledge and vision for its benefit. But it is this unshakable liberation of mind that is the goal of this spiritual life, its heartwood, and its end," (MN 29, transl. Ven Bhikkhu Bodhi)