Where to ordain? and other few questions...

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
rbrtmdr2

Where to ordain? and other few questions...

Post by rbrtmdr2 »

Hello there,

(first, sorry, English is not my first language :( )

I know there's many topics made based on this question, but none of the ones I read helped in my particular doubts:

I'm seriously considering being ordained in the next years, I've been practicing meditation for one year now and I'm quite convinced from the advantages of the holy life. Though I don't really know where should I do it... I know the best would be to spend some time travelling, getting to know monasteries and look for the one that suits me, but I don't have much money (to handle repeated visas/permissions costs), so I should know at least the best country (Thailand? Sri Lanka? Burma?) or/and region, and maybe a list of monasteries to look first- also because I would like to study the local language since now, as I'm having some free time..)

I'm looking for a forest monastery where the Vinaya rules are well (or strictly) followed and where monks do practice meditation under the supervision of a nice, respectable teacher. I wouldn't mind have some more profound scholarly studies, like the Abhidhamma and commentaries, though I'm really more interested in practicing meditation ("Ajahn Chah' style", that's why I was tempted to go for a Thai Forest Monastery in the Ajahn Chah's lineage..). I'm really not into politics and political quarrels, I want peace! to meditate. Also, this monastery should be receptive for a non-white westerner. Another importante thing (that will take us to a second question) a monastery where I should be able to follow a vegan or at least a sattvic diet (except from the dairy - as I'm lactose-intolerant). I've read somewhere in this forum that some monasteries forbid monks to choose a vegan diet, specially in Thailand, and others do allow (based on the same Devadatta's incident), but it may be difficult to do so in that region.. so I might take this in consideration... So the second question is: What is the proper procedure for a monk to reject non-vegan/non-sattvic food offered by lay people?

Thank you! :D
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Where to ordain? and other few questions...

Post by DNS »

rbrtmdr2 wrote: Also, this monastery should be receptive for a non-white westerner.
Color doesn't matter. I can't imagine any monastery that would be non-receptive to someone based on skin color, at least I sure hope not.
So the second question is: What is the proper procedure for a monk to reject non-vegan/non-sattvic food offered by lay people?
According to the 3 fold rule, you can't really reject proper food. However, you could check with potential monasteries to see the procedure they use for the lunch dana. At many U.S. monasteries, the food is passed around at lunch time and the monks take from the dishes they want to eat and there is usually plenty of vegan food. In some Asian countries you might go very hungry if your only choice was the white rice or if there is very little vegan food offered and other monks have finished it before you get a chance to take some.
rbrtmdr2

Post by rbrtmdr2 »

David N. Snyder wrote:
rbrtmdr2 wrote: Also, this monastery should be receptive for a non-white westerner.
Color doesn't matter. I can't imagine any monastery that would be non-receptive to someone based on skin color, at least I sure hope not.
Nice! You'd say that this is true in every Theravada country?
According to the 3 fold rule, you can't really reject proper food. However, you could check with potential monasteries to see the procedure they use for the lunch dana. At many U.S. monasteries, the food is passed around at lunch time and the monks take from the dishes they want to eat and there is usually plenty of vegan food. In some Asian countries you might go very hungry if your only choice was the white rice or if there is very little vegan food offered and other monks have finished it before you get a chance to take some.
I understand. I've come across (online) some monasteries and their procedures and I've even managed to found some vegetarian monasteries, like Pa Auk's and Wat Tam Wua, but, I don't know if they are good places to meditate, which is the main question and what is most important to me. Do you know about these ones? Could you (or anyone) recommend me some? I'd like to be on the presence of a great teacher, but the most important to me is to be on an environment where I would have time and freedom do actually medidate.

Thank you! :)
Kumara

Post by Kumara »

rbrtmdr2 wrote:What is the proper procedure for a monk to reject non-vegan/non-sattvic food offered by lay people?
Just say, "Thank you, but I don't eat (x-food)." If they leave, so be it. If they ask what's suitable for you, then tell them.