Information on Robes and the Alms Bowl

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
acinteyyo

Re: Information on Robes and the Alms Bowl

Post by acinteyyo »

Why do you guys think that I will make a robe for myself and the only thing I would do is take it on and walk through the streets like a monk? I'm asking you seriously why are you so narrow-minded?
I hope you will understand, that I know what's best for myself and how I live my life.
Goofaholix wrote:I'm sorry, I just don't see the point.
The thing is, that you don't need to see the point. Is there any reason to tell me in this thread what or what not I should do?

It is quite easy, this thread is about the craftsmanship of sewing robes in the way it is traditionally made in the Theravada tradition.
Any advice about what would be the best to do for me apart from the OP is off topic. I honestly ask to stay on topic.
Question on my intentions are okay within limits, but trying to tell me what I should do isn't.

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

Mr Man wrote:Here are a couple of links

Technical Matters: How to Bake an Alms Bowl http://thebahiyablog.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... -bowl.html

Alms bowl http://www.buddhamind.info/leftside/art ... z/bowl.htm
Thanks for the links. They were very informative.

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

Don't the suttas mention lay persons "clothed in white"? Surely this refers to white robes. Anagarika also wear white robes if I am not mistaken.

I found this by searching google for "antaravasaka". Hopefully it is of help.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7835466_make-as ... robes.html

Maybe you would find some more information searching for the Pali or Thai names on google.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

Coyote wrote:Don't the suttas mention lay persons "clothed in white"? Surely this refers to white robes. Anagarika also wear white robes if I am not mistaken.

I found this by searching google for "antaravasaka". Hopefully it is of help.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7835466_make-as ... robes.html

Maybe you would find some more information searching for the Pali or Thai names on google.
Yes, as far as I know an anāgārika wears white robes. I didn't came across a sutta mentioning lay persons clothed in white so far, but there may be some... I don't know.
The link is useful, thank you.

best wishes, acinteyyo
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

See, for example, MN 73: http://suttacentral.net/mn73
`'Vaccha, not one, not one hundred, not two hundred, not three hundred, not four hundred, not five hundred. There are many more female lay disciples of mine wearing white clothes lead the holy life, while partaking sensual pleasures, doing the work in the dispensation have dispelled doubts. Have become confident of what should and should not be done. They do not need a teacher any more in the dispensation of the Teacher.
:anjali:
Mike
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

mikenz66 wrote:See, for example, MN 73: http://suttacentral.net/mn73
`'Vaccha, not one, not one hundred, not two hundred, not three hundred, not four hundred, not five hundred. There are many more female lay disciples of mine wearing white clothes lead the holy life, while partaking sensual pleasures, doing the work in the dispensation have dispelled doubts. Have become confident of what should and should not be done. They do not need a teacher any more in the dispensation of the Teacher.
:anjali:
Mike
:goodpost:
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

Coyote wrote:Don't the suttas mention lay persons "clothed in white"?
Found another one...
Gihi Sutta wrote:So the Blessed One said to Ven. Sariputta: "Sariputta, when you know of a householder clothed in white, that he is restrained in terms of the five training rules and that he obtains at will, without difficulty, without hardship, four pleasant mental abidings in the here & now, then if he wants he may state about himself: 'Hell is ended; animal wombs are ended; the state of the hungry shades is ended; states of deprivation, destitution, the bad bourns are ended! I am a stream-winner, steadfast, never again destined for states of woe, headed for self-awakening!'
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

May I ask the Venerables for advice on this particular matter?

Edit 20.08.2014: I asked about robes at the Monastery I usually visit. The Venerable Ajahn gave me two books. "The Buddhist Monastic Code I+II"
BMC I
BMC II
I found all the answers in them.

best wishes, acinteyyo