Seed liberation during the night, what shoud a bhikkhu do?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
walkart

Seed liberation during the night, what shoud a bhikkhu do?

Post by walkart »

Hello,

If during the night seed was liberated by the organism and a robe or a bed became dirty. What should bhikkhu do in this delicate situation?

Mess a morning puja and meditation to clean and wash his robe? Then wait until robe become dry or wear it just after washing? Inform someone?...

Thank for advice.
TheNoBSBuddhist

Re: Seed liberation during the night, what shoud a bhikkhu d

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

Why the....
I don't even know ....

He wouldn't be wearing his robe at night - would he?

Why would the robe become messy?

And it's highly unlikely a Monk would have this issue (if you will pardon the phrase).

Maybe a young novice, or an inexperienced śrāmaṇera would, but I doubt very much a fully-ordained monk has this problem to contend with...

Are you wishing to ordain soon?

If not, it seems a bit of an inappropriate question, if i may venture to say so....
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The usual thing is to sleep in a bathing robe, then the lower robe will always be clean. The bedding can be left to soak and washed after alms round.

Nocturnal seminal emissions are not unusual for young monks. They might be more frequent in men who have no sexual activity.
Wikipedia wrote:The frequency of nocturnal emissions is highly variable. Some reported that it is due to being sexually inactive, either intercourse or masturbation.
There is no offence, unless there was the intention to have one on falling asleep.
The Buddhist Monastic Code wrote:Intentionally causing oneself to emit semen, or getting someone else to cause one to emit semen — except during a dream — is a Saṅghādisesa offence. (Sg 1/90)
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
TheNoBSBuddhist

Very considerate of you to respond, Bhante....

Personally, I find it difficult to understand the logical motivation behind such a question, unless the poster is seeking to rordain... then maybe it would be a better thing to seek a reply to, by private contact.

But that's just me, and maybe I'm being too fastidious on behalf of the ordained.
Apologies if i spoke out of turn.

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
walkart

Post by walkart »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:The usual thing is to sleep in a bathing robe, then the lower robe will always be clean. The bedding can be left to soak and washed after alms round.

Nocturnal seminal emissions are not unusual for young monks. They might be more frequent in men who have no sexual activity.
Wikipedia wrote:The frequency of nocturnal emissions is highly variable. Some reported that it is due to being sexually inactive, either intercourse or masturbation.
There is no offence, unless there was the intention to have one on falling asleep.
The Buddhist Monastic Code wrote:Intentionally causing oneself to emit semen, or getting someone else to cause one to emit semen — except during a dream — is a Saṅghādisesa offence. (Sg 1/90)
Thank you very much Bhante. I forget that bhikkhu have a bathing robe.
_/\_

During the dream, it can heppen also out of sexual context and without consious or inconsious intention, while urinating for exemple.

PS: I'am sorry if this question is not appropriate, but i have already asked it to a bhikkhu who could not answer, thats why i ask it in open space. I hope it would be usefull for some one else.
TheNoBSBuddhist

Could I ask.... Why did you need to know?

Why would you even want to?
Are you intending to ordain?

I'm not trying to provoke an argument, or criticise you....I'm genuinely interested, walkart...

walkart

Post by walkart »

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:Could I ask.... Why did you need to know?

Why would you even want to?
Are you intending to ordain?

I'm not trying to provoke an argument, or criticise you....I'm genuinely interested, walkart...
I like to know all practical details like that when i study somethink. For exemple there is peoples who are interested in degestive systhem of dinosaures, how it works etc...
TheNoBSBuddhist

I don't think you can consider a dinosaur's digestive system carries the same amount of... sensitivity....

Ok, look... never mind, You were lucky enough to have your question answered.
I felt it was in poor taste and made my opinion clear.

Thanks.

:hello: Bye!

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Asking questions is the seed of liberation from saṃsāra.

As long as they are not personal, there's not really a problem — after all, no one needs to reply if they don't wish to.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
TheNoBSBuddhist

I think you must mean 'personal' as in pertaining specifically to a particular Bikkhu.

In my own amateur view, i would have classified that kind of question to any bikkhu as being 'personal.

But as I said, maybe I was being overly fastidious on 'your' behalf (generically speaking, including all our 'resident' bikkhus) and even presumptuously so.

I only know I personally would never dare ask such a question of a bikkhu. And certainly not on a public forum.

That was all.....

walkart

Post by walkart »

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote: I felt it was in poor taste and made my opinion clear.

Thanks.

:hello: Bye!
You are welcomed. :)
Thank to you too.

:hello:
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Great thread title, by the way. Lovely euphemism.

:tongue:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:The usual thing is to sleep in a bathing robe, then the lower robe will always be clean. The bedding can be left to soak and washed after alms round.

Good question good answer.
I always wonder how monks manage with two robes.
How often they take shower? Is there a Vinaya rule?
:thinking:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

SarathW wrote:How often they take shower? Is there a Vinaya rule?
There's a rule about not bathing too frequently during the hot season, but there are many exception clauses. As usual, it's about not indulging in sensual pleasures. It doesn't apply outside of the Middle Country of India (the Ganges Valley), but we should still consider it improper to bathe if there is no need to, i.e. if the body is not dirty.
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

Why the....
I don't even know ....

He wouldn't be wearing his robe at night - would he?

Why would the robe become messy?

And it's highly unlikely a Monk would have this issue (if you will pardon the phrase).

Maybe a young novice, or an inexperienced śrāmaṇera would, but I doubt very much a fully-ordained monk has this problem to contend with...

Are you wishing to ordain soon?

If not, it seems a bit of an inappropriate question, if i may venture to say so....
I don't think it is an inappropriate question. Nocturnal emission is something that just happens, even with older males... especially if they don't have sex or masturbate. It's also possible that it's not sexual in nature for much of time.

I think these kind of questions shouldn't be a taboo. It's like how a young woman should feel free in asking certain questions (such as issues with menstruation), without being ridiculed for it.

Some people just feel comfortable in asking this out in open (where they feel it would become impersonal), rather than one-on-one in PM to someone he doesn't even know. (That could make it even more awkward!)

:anjali: